Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Hate to say i told you so but I DID! I can't understand why Fergie is intent on playing this formation both home and away in Europe. There is only one way in which the English clubs can play in Europe and thats 4-42 with the tempo associated with the premiership. Can't belive it took Utd to go a goal down (what a goal might I add) to change things around surely it was obvious with the lack of penetration and ideas in the first 20 mins! But credit where credit is due and Fergie made the change straight after the goal realising that the original formation wasn't working and Utd were a totally different team and fully deserved the three goals.

Can't remember the last time Utd won a match by scoring three headers, anyone?

Farrandeelin

Dinny Breen, I would have kind of thought the same thing myself but for the enormous amount of money involved in qualifying for the next round of the CL. The way the situation is with the Glazers etc, Utd need all the money they can get.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BenDover

Does anyone know what Vidic's celebration was about I've seen John O'Shea and Fletcher do the exact same thing recently?

magpie seanie

Must admit I got a couple of my assumptions wrong about the game. I'm stunned by the continuing tomfoolery of messing with the formation for Europe. I really hope that old blue nose has learned his lesson this time but I remained to be convinced. If the quotes attributed to him after the game are to believed then they are completely at odds with this cautious 4-5-1 bolloxology. The few minutes before Vidic's goal were what I think Manchester United are/should be all about and were a throwback to the way the '99 team used to batter teams into submission.

Overall though its good to progress but it must be said it was a weak group. Mind you that could be said about all bar Chelsea's off the top of my head. To succeed in the knock out stages United need three things - (1) injuries kept to a minimum; (2) - to ditch the 4-5-1 completely; (3) - to have the home leg first.

Just need to say again that Vidic is class. Evra - good going forward but got a bit of a chasing from Simao (how many fouls did this little fecker get away with - unreal). Carrick is getting there bit by bit. Louis looks like a weak link but has the happy knack of scoring goals which is kinda handy. Ronaldo is also improving - the RTE boys are a bit harsh on him though they do have a point. I believe it is Queiroz who encourages the showboating - he hasn't a clue about the game.

hows she cutting

Quote from: BenDover on December 07, 2006, 10:06:47 AM
Does anyone know what Vidic's celebration was about I've seen John O'Shea and Fletcher do the exact same thing recently?

don't know if i was being wound up or not but my mate told me last night that these celebrations they are doing are from some computer game they all play online, some sort of combat army game where ye fire rockets etc, supposedly they play online against the Chelsea boys
i will ask him and see if there is a link to it

BenDover

Cheers How's She Cutting I heard the same myself but never actually read the story until now

J70

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 07, 2006, 11:19:10 AM
Overall though its good to progress but it must be said it was a weak group. Mind you that could be said about all bar Chelsea's off the top of my head. To succeed in the knock out stages United need three things - (1) injuries kept to a minimum; (2) - to ditch the 4-5-1 completely; (3) - to have the home leg first.

Group winners play their home leg second in the next round.

I presume its down to the draw after that.

magpie seanie

This is actually a disadvantage to United because Ferguson will play negative in the first leg and draw 0-0 or lose 1-0 and assume they can do the business at home. Lose a goal at home then and you have it all to do. Every single time bar one (Leverkusen I think) that United have gone out of the knockout stages it has been due to this. In 1999 every knockout tie had the away leg second....

Barney

Although there are many good teams in Pot 2 there are beatable teams as well. United must face one of:

Barelona
Inter
PSV
Roma
Real Madrid
Porto
Lille

Personally I think it has been a poor Champions League. Barcelona can win it if they get Etoo back.

As for United well anything could happen but they have been so poor away from home you would have to expect disaster unless there are big eligible signings.

Vidic is pure class. Can be a United legend.

Very worried about Saha. I've been critical of him here before but he is a carthorse and now he seems to be getting lazy and just not interested.

charlie stubbs

saha reminds me alot of cole great movement in and around box but often ntakes him 2 many chances

superblues

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BenDover

This is the team order I'd like Utd to be drawn against for the next round. Obviously as far away from Barca as possible. A slight chance Van Nistelrooy will come back to haunt Utd

Lille
Porto
PSV
Inter
Roma
Real Madrid
Barelona

magpie seanie

I see where Ferguson said that having the second leg at home is "not necessarily and advantage" which is encouraging. Down the years he failed to grasp the concept that you have to attack away from home and keep it tight as fcuk at home in the knockout stages. His teams have generally done the exact opposite.

Would go along with Ben Dover's assessment if you switch Inter and Roma. Porto is probably the one for me as it would be a bit of a revenge mission. Mind you, Lille also beat United in this competition in recent years.