Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 02:32:17 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/23/manchester-united-beat-chelsea-luke-shaw-transfer-david-moyes

Looks like this is a done deal. Serious wages for a teenager!!!

Feck the wages. This is Utd so the wages will be fine. I would love to see him signed. Best about in that position and loves attacking.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: EC Unique on April 23, 2014, 03:50:56 PM
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/apr/23/manchester-united-beat-chelsea-luke-shaw-transfer-david-moyes

Feck the wages. This is Utd so the wages will be fine. I would love to see him signed. Best about in that position and loves attacking.

Calm down there EC. He's good but still a kid. Next you'll be calling him a top top playaaaahhh!!

blewuporstuffed

not sure what the terms are , but say its a 5 year contract, he will cost united a total of 56m over the course of his contract.

A hell of a lot of money for a largely unproven left back (as good as he might be)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Kidder81

How many times have you seen him play for Southampton ?

brokencrossbar1

Is it a £30m signing fee?  If it is then that is huge money for a young lad. At that plus £100k a week United have committed £55m to a lot of potential.  He is talented but he is no super dooper star.  Huge risk.

gawa316

If Shaw is worth 30 mil what would the 'best young player in Europe' currently fetch?

magpie seanie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2014, 04:01:11 PM
Is it a £30m signing fee?  If it is then that is huge money for a young lad. At that plus £100k a week United have committed £55m to a lot of potential.  He is talented but he is no super dooper star.  Huge risk.

United may have overspent but I think they had to get him. What some people fail to understand is if United lose money, the Glazers are hurt (there's nothing left in the trough for them) - not necessarily the club. Liverpool (will) and Chelsea who are struggling to keep within FFP rules so cannot afford to take such a risk so United have to use this competitive advantage.  Pity United didn't commit as much when going for another young Southampton left back a few years ago.

nrico2006

Quote from: gawa316 on April 23, 2014, 04:12:39 PM
If Shaw is worth 30 mil what would the 'best young player in Europe' currently fetch?

I don't know how much Januzaj would cost but wouldn't be cheap!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 23, 2014, 04:14:44 PM

United may have overspent but I think they had to get him. What some people fail to understand is if United lose money, the Glazers are hurt (there's nothing left in the trough for them) - not necessarily the club. Liverpool (will) and Chelsea who are struggling to keep within FFP rules so cannot afford to take such a risk so United have to use this competitive advantage.  Pity United didn't commit as much when going for another young Southampton left back a few years ago.

John Henry agrees with you on FFP, but he seems to imply Liverpool are grand in that area? Is it published anywhere? At least American owners are used to dealing with Salary Caps and the like (albeit not in baseball) so they should be familiar with the concept.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/301467.html

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 23, 2014, 04:23:22 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 23, 2014, 04:14:44 PM

John Henry agrees with you on FFP, but he seems to imply Liverpool are grand in that area? Is it published anywhere? At least American owners are used to dealing with Salary Caps and the like (albeit not in baseball) so they should be familiar with the concept.

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/301467.html

It looks like Liverpool wil probably be ok but they had a whopping loss in 2012 I think which could have meant they were in breach of the rules if they were in Europe this season. Chelsea are just ok and that's probably the reason they didn't buy a striker or two last summer. It looks like City are not compliant but are trying to come up with some really creative accounting to make their case. PSG are in the same boat and are trying to introduce back dated sponsorship from Qatar Tourist Board who funnily enough have some familiar names on their board!

FFP is a UEFA thing so relates to Europe so Henry's points don't make sense in the Premier League context. UEFA can impose salary caps, issue fines and withdraw places in their competitions but cannot for example deduct points in a domestic league. Also - they cannot impose a transfer embargo.

AZOffaly

I think what he means is that they are buying loads of players, paying big wages, and are contravening the FFP rules. Right enough it only affects Europe per se, but buying all them bucks makes them serious contenders in England as well. I found this about Liverpool. Looks like creative accounting is the way to go.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1987144-liverpool-and-financial-fair-play-how-it-affects-their-champions-league-hopes

gawa316

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 04:17:34 PM

Isn't is great to see after a season of turmoil and major disappointment after disappointment some Utd fans still have a sense of humor?!

thebigfella

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 04:17:34 PM

He's overrated IMO. Certainly the rest of the senior players made him look better than he is.

The Worker

Can't understand utd signing players when they have no manager in place.

Shrewdness

Word is that Zanuzaj has declared to play for Belgium.