Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2013, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on December 05, 2013, 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on December 05, 2013, 08:23:04 AM
Moyes should have had a major clear out in the summer and brought in new players, he failed to do anything significant and is now seeing the results of his inactivity.  Moyes out.

you boys are some steam, if Moyes had cleared out a squad that cruised to the title, he'd be currently sitting tarred and feathered outside the Trafford Centre.

No united fans were calling for a clear out, actually would have been happy with a couple of high class acquisitions to bolster the squad with maybe a few going out on loan or whatever to balance the squad. Instead the big Belgian is hanging around DM's neck as a high profile high costing let down. That is where the unrest is coming from, but also most United fans who know football would be able to recognise that the squad has needed investment for a number of years now.

I for one cant see any real business being down in the January of a WC year, well not enough to make a massive impact in my book.

Also I do not forest a Souness style clear out of the squad.

exhibit A

Moyes should have had a major clear out in the summer and brought in new players, he failed to do anything significant and is now seeing the results of his inactivity.  Moyes out.

NAG1

Quote from: J OGorman on December 05, 2013, 12:00:50 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2013, 11:51:03 AM
Quote from: J OGorman on December 05, 2013, 11:09:20 AM

you boys are some steam, if Moyes had cleared out a squad that cruised to the title, he'd be currently sitting tarred and feathered outside the Trafford Centre.

No united fans were calling for a clear out with any sense, actually would have been happy with a couple of high class acquisitions to bolster the squad with maybe a few going out on loan or whatever to balance the squad. Instead the big Belgian is hanging around DM's neck as a high profile high costing let down. That is where the unrest is coming from, but also most United fans who know football would be able to recognise that the squad has needed investment for a number of years now.

I for one cant see any real business being down in the January of a WC year, well not enough to make a massive impact in my book.

Also I do not forest a Souness style clear out of the squad.

exhibit A

JOG - should have added that caveat  ;)

Right name the names, realistic players who United could get between the January and the summer windows which would boost the squad?

ballinaman

Quote from: NAG1 on December 05, 2013, 12:15:36 PM
Right name the names, realistic players who United could get between the January and the summer windows which would boost the squad?
That's the thing....any realistic target won't improve things hugely. It's the unrealistic ones..Herrera, Reus ect that will.

Fletcher is back training well. Himself and a fully fit Carrick in central midfield in the new year will be an improvement IMO.

pip_squeak

Martinez is getting an awful lot of credit this morning, giving the impression that he is a great manager whilst Moyes is clueless but this is unfair IMO.  A major reason why Moyes never got a win at OT with Everton was because he was competing against a United team managed by Ferguson.  Martinez managed a win last night however he wasn't competing against Ferguson.  I'll be properly impressed with Martinez if he gets Everton to finish in 4th place as Moyes managed to do, and until then I think the fact that Martinez managed Wigan to relegation last season puts a question mark over his managerial ability. 

As an aside, United's current position is dire!!  Does this highlight the fact that Ferguson was a magician or is the current position a temporary blip which will be forgotten? 

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: pip_squeak on December 05, 2013, 01:17:52 PM
Martinez is getting an awful lot of credit this morning, giving the impression that he is a great manager whilst Moyes is clueless but this is unfair IMO.  A major reason why Moyes never got a win at OT with Everton was because he was competing against a United team managed by Ferguson.

That might have some credence only for the fact that Moyes never won away to Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal either.

EC Unique

I like the look of the fixture list from now until the end of the year. A lot of points should be got and I expect Utd to be well positioned by 2014.

AZOffaly

Quote from: EC Unique on December 05, 2013, 04:54:57 PM
I like the look of the fixture list from now until the end of the year. A lot of points should be got and I expect Utd to be well positioned by 2014.

Jaysus. You've just jinxed them now.

orangeman

What would a Man U fan be happy with now - top four finish ? Or is top 4 too ambitious given the form they're in currently ?

EC Unique

Quote from: orangeman on December 05, 2013, 04:56:58 PM

What would a Man U fan be happy with now - top four finish ? Or is top 4 too ambitious given the form they're in currently ?

Top 4 is of course possible and I think Utd will be in the top 4 by the end of the year. If Utd do not finish in the top 4 it should trigger a lot of $$$$$ being poured into the squad so maybe it would be better long term to dip out of the CL to force the owners to change their attitude. Utd are Utd after all so any drop in form will not last long.

heganboy

one interesting point was made to me yesterday, that united in the january market won't care if their target is CL tied. They need someone(s) to bolster midfield for the PL to ensure a high finish. Liverpool are in the same boat. There are very few big clubs in Europe in the same boat.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Milltown Row2

Quote from: orangeman on December 05, 2013, 04:56:58 PM

I think UTD would settle to be above Liverpool at this rate, which has been a given for so many years, doubt they will even get that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jonah

Nonsense to say it would be good for United to miss out on Champions League I've never heard such bull.
If United don't make CL next season it could be a good few years before they do again.
You just can't attract top top player if you aren't in it. As it is players are a bit more reluctant because of Moyes in charge and the way they are going it will be more difficult to get top quality players.
At this stage of the season its looking more likely they won't than will make CL.
Tough game v Newcastle at weekend. Apart from losing to Swansea they have been going well of late. Villa away isn't an easy fixture either.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Jonah on December 05, 2013, 07:25:34 PM
Nonsense to say it would be good for United to miss out on Champions League I've never heard such bull.
If United don't make CL next season it could be a good few years before they do again.
You just can't attract top top player if you aren't in it. As it is players are a bit more reluctant because of Moyes in charge and the way they are going it will be more difficult to get top quality players.
At this stage of the season its looking more likely they won't than will make CL.
Tough game v Newcastle at weekend. Apart from losing to Swansea they have been going well of late. Villa away isn't an easy fixture either.

They failed to beat Southampton,Cardiff,West Brom and Everton no easy fixtures left and every side will fancy their chances to take points off this poorly managed Manchester United team.

Jeepers Creepers

At the start of the season I thought as long as Utd finish in the top 4 and maybe a decent cup run, I'd be happy. Still think it will happen, don't want to see any panic buys in the January window but if they do not qualify for the champions league next year via the league it would be catastrophic .

laoislad

Quote from: AFS on December 05, 2013, 10:25:33 PM
Fact of the day

Number of starts at club level for Marouane Felliani this season: 10
Number of wins from those starts: 1

Terrible player.

Here's hoping Moyes keeps starting him so!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.