Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Redgreenery

2-1 to Utd, expecting a hard and tight game though!

Goats Do Shave

3 - 1 UTD - with Ronaldo man of the match! ;D

charlie stubbs

BE TOUCH ENOUGH TO KEEP A CLEAN SHEAT IN ROME,ESP WITH OSHEA AND BROWN STARTING.IN FAIRNESS TO BROWN AT LEAST HES GOT RID OF THAT STUPID AFRO

Redgreenery

Returning to Old Trafford in a week's time without an away goal to United's name could be perilous, Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson has warned.

United are in Italy's capital city for the Champions League quarter final first leg against Roma at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday night.

Playing at home in the second leg could be beneficial to the Reds' aim to set up a semi final clash with either AC Milan or Bayern Munich, but it will only be advantageous if United can score in Rome.

"We have to score against Roma," is Sir Alex's unequivocal stance.

"I thought Lyon were the better team in Rome in the last round. They played very well. But 0-0 is a very dangerous scoreline. We had a situation some years ago where we went to Madrid and played very well, should have won, but drew 0-0. Then we were knocked out at Old Trafford. Roma proved it by winning 2-0 in the second leg in Lyon."

Ryan Giggs is one of the most experienced players in the United squad, and knows all too well how valuable breaking Roma's defence will be on Wednesday.

"It's important to score away from home because any team at this stage of the competition is capable of getting goals, home or away," said Giggs, who flanked Sir Alex at the pre-match press conference on Tuesday. "If we don't get it and Roma score at Old Trafford then we'll have to get two to win.

"Most of the successful sides in Europe have gone away and scored and got results. It's better to go back with the scores at 2-2 rather than 0-0. But our attitude is to always try and score goals. Hopefully we can on Wednesday night."

maxpower

you would think that with all this talk of United needing an away goal that fergie would almost prefer a 2-1 defeat to a 0-0.  I remember the same chat did the rounds when United last played Real Madrid in Europe (having been put out the year before having drawn 0-0 in the bernabeu).  United got there away goal and were beat 3-1,

fergie and Quieroz can over complicate things, send the team out to win the match tonight
What happens next????

Heshs Umpire

1-0 to Roma. United to win 2-1 at home and go out on away goals.
:(
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

An Fear Rua

IF, and its a big IF Giggs is played in his best position tonight he will cause the Italians havoc, his games seems to sort of suit theirs if you know what I mean -fond memories of the inspirational performance at Juve (0-3) a few years back( not so fond memories of the ultras stabbing someone as we were coming out of the ground).

If Fergie decides to pack the midfield due to the abscence of Vidic, then Utd will struggle, bring Heinze into the middle with Rio, Evra left back, and the other heinz(beans) at right back. Thats still a decent defence. Giggs and ronnie on the wings will give the italians plenty to worry about all night.
Its Grim up North

magpie seanie

Who up front with Rooney. I'm thiniking Solskjaer though it could be a good idea to go with Smith for an hour and then launch the Gunnar.

Redgreenery

I think that Evra is still out injured.
I'd agree with putting Solskjaer up front with Rooney as he does score a lot of goals. Can't see Smith been played unless there is an injury but would expect Saha to feature some part.

An Fear Rua

Evra is more missing in action as opposed to injured, not listed as injured, but not listed as in the squad either.

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see Saha start the game....

despite the injury list there is still enough quality there to get a suitable result..
Its Grim up North

Redgreenery

I doubt Saha would start as it is his first game back. Mabye Evra isn't injured, thought that was what was wrong with him. Utd shuld get a result outta this game alright!

Spiritof98

Quote from: An Fear Rua on April 04, 2007, 02:05:03 PM
Evra is more missing in action as opposed to injured, not listed as injured, but not listed as in the squad either.

despite the injury list there is still enough quality there to get a suitable result..

What does missing in action mean, he was having a clinker of a season.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 04, 2007, 12:02:57 PM
BE TOUCH ENOUGH TO KEEP A CLEAN SHEAT IN ROME,ESP WITH OSHEA AND BROWN STARTING.IN FAIRNESS TO BROWN AT LEAST HES GOT RID OF THAT STUPID AFRO

Yes now he's got rid of the "stupid afro", he'll be a better defender!  :D

An Fear Rua

Quote from: Spiritof98 on April 04, 2007, 02:18:33 PM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on April 04, 2007, 02:05:03 PM

What does missing in action mean, he was having a clinker of a season.

missing as in , left out, out of favour etc.
Rumour has it that Heinze may just be getting an extended run in the side to ensure that he stays in the summer instead of taking the offer from Juve.
Its Grim up North