Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Not neccesarily, Rooney can play out wide too and missed out at Fulham.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 02:22:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 08, 2009, 02:00:10 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 01:53:18 PM
Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 01:45:20 PM
But it is clear from his body language that he is not happy.

Do you not think maybe as boy he always looked at Madrid as the dream club to be playing for? And given his egotistical demeanor he won't be happy until he is a 'Galactico'

I just can't see why any of the top players in the world would want to go to Madrid at the minute.

Arguably the biggest club in the world or certainly well up there. Would pay you a fortune. Fantastic lifestyle and climate in a great city. Yeah why would anyone want to go there?

We're talking about Ronaldo. He already has all the trappings that come with playing with one of the top couple of clubs in the world - money, lifestyle, etc. The only advantage I can see from heading to Madrid is that it'll be a bit sunnier for a few months a year, but for that he'll be giving up the opportunity to play at a club that is genuinely competitive in both their domestic and European competition in order to play for one that is stuck in a rut.

Bottom line is why would a player heading into the prime of his career want to leave a successful club where he's likely to win countless more trophies in the next couple of years, in order to head to a club that aren't challenging at any level at the minute? This question should be especially pertinent to Ronaldo given many lucrative commercial contracts, its in his interest to maintain as high a profile as possible - this is a lot easier to do at a winning club.

I think people in this part of the world are a bit insular with regards to the football they watch and the Premier League has been hyped up to be the be all and end all of football.

However you go anywhere on mainland Europe and Real Madrid are still a huge huge name and a massive draw for any professional. They will have Perez back as President this Summer and he will almost certainly bring a few big signings with him. With the resources Madrid have they could easily be back competing at the very top again fairly quickly.

mountainboii

Quote from: Minder on April 08, 2009, 02:36:22 PM

Do you not think maybe as boy he always looked at Madrid as the dream club to be playing for? And given his egotistical demeanor he won't be happy until he is a 'Galactico'

I just can't see why any of the top players in the world would want to go to Madrid at the minute.

Arguably the biggest club in the world or certainly well up there. Would pay you a fortune. Fantastic lifestyle and climate in a great city. Yeah why would anyone want to go there?

We're talking about Ronaldo. He already has all the trappings that come with playing with one of the top couple of clubs in the world - money, lifestyle, etc. The only advantage I can see from heading to Madrid is that it'll be a bit sunnier for a few months a year, but for that he'll be giving up the opportunity to play at a club that is genuinely competitive in both their domestic and European competition in order to play for one that is stuck in a rut.

Bottom line is why would a player heading into the prime of his career want to leave a successful club where he's likely to win countless more trophies in the next couple of years, in order to head to a club that aren't challenging at any level at the minute? This question should be especially pertinent to Ronaldo given many lucrative commercial contracts, its in his interest to maintain as high a profile as possible - this is a lot easier to do at a winning club.

So you dont think he would have a high profile in Madrid? Again Madrid have won the Spanish League the last two years and have got closer to Barcelona in the last two months. You cant say they are not competitive, granted they have been poor in Europe. Regardless of how good you think United are and how successful they have been in the last couple of years Madrid and Barcelona are still the most prestigious clubs for 99% of footballers.

Not as high as if he stays at United. Premier League is bigger business than La Liga now and, of late, United generally haven't been getting dumped out of Europe in the first knock out round as Madrid have for the past 5 seasons.

Minder

Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 02:40:24 PM
The way Ronaldo is playing at present he would need to worry about getting his place at Utd. I have always been a massive fan and maybe only seen the good in him, like on Sunday he scored 2 great goals in a must win game but I am getting increasingly frustrated with his refusal to track back and defend. He does not even do it when he is to blame for giving away possesion and both last night and Sunday this resulted in goals conceded. He is a massive talent and with a better work rate and attitude he could be the perfect footballer but to me he looks like he is going through the motions and does not really give a f**k. Not the Utd way :-\

Out out of curiosity what is the "Utd way"? As regards Ronaldo is anyone really expecting him to track back, the role he plays is all about attacking. Do you ever see Messi tracking back? Did Ronaldinho track back in his heyday? You just have to put up with the strops and posturing in exchange for 30 goals a season. Couldnt believe the stick he was getting on Sunday, didnt see much of the game but he may have been bad but he scored two goals. What more do you want? If he  tracked back a bit more, effed and blinded at the ref "to show he cares" and kissed the badge a few times would that placate everyone?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 02:46:53 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 08, 2009, 02:36:22 PM

So you dont think he would have a high profile in Madrid? Again Madrid have won the Spanish League the last two years and have got closer to Barcelona in the last two months. You cant say they are not competitive, granted they have been poor in Europe. Regardless of how good you think United are and how successful they have been in the last couple of years Madrid and Barcelona are still the most prestigious clubs for 99% of footballers.

Not as high as if he stays at United.

Can't say I agree with that.

Katchit

Quote from: Minder on April 08, 2009, 02:48:11 PM
Do you ever see Messi tracking back?  

Yup, you do actually. He has a great attitude and personality to go along with his god given talent, unlike Mr Ronaldo.

mountainboii

Quote from: corn02 on April 08, 2009, 02:51:59 PM

Why?

United are the most high profile, and currently the most successful team in the Premier League. The Premier League is the most well attended, most financially lucrative, most viewed, and highest ranked league in the world.

corn02

Quote from: Katchit on April 08, 2009, 02:53:11 PM
Do you ever see Messi tracking back?  

Yup, you do actually. He has a great attitude and personality to go along with his god given talent, unlike Mr Ronaldo.

Indeed, Messi actually has a very high workrate, which is just another reason why he is the best out there.

gorm agus bui

If he  tracked back a bit more, effed and blinded at the ref "to show he cares" and kissed the badge a few times would that placate everyone?
[/quote]
Now who would that be? Oh yes the Scouse git...... Stevie GBH

Minder

Quote from: gorm agus bui on April 08, 2009, 03:14:53 PM
If he  tracked back a bit more, effed and blinded at the ref "to show he cares" and kissed the badge a few times would that placate everyone?
Now who would that be? Oh yes the Scouse git...... Stevie GBH
[/quote]

First part is correct.

EC Unique

The way Ronaldo is playing at present he would need to worry about getting his place at Utd. I have always been a massive fan and maybe only seen the good in him, like on Sunday he scored 2 great goals in a must win game but I am getting increasingly frustrated with his refusal to track back and defend. He does not even do it when he is to blame for giving away possesion and both last night and Sunday this resulted in goals conceded. He is a massive talent and with a better work rate and attitude he could be the perfect footballer but to me he looks like he is going through the motions and does not really give a f**k. Not the Utd way :-\

Out out of curiosity what is the "Utd way"? As regards Ronaldo is anyone really expecting him to track back, the role he plays is all about attacking. Do you ever see Messi tracking back? Did Ronaldinho track back in his heyday? You just have to put up with the strops and posturing in exchange for 30 goals a season. Couldnt believe the stick he was getting on Sunday, didnt see much of the game but he may have been bad but he scored two goals. What more do you want? If he  tracked back a bit more, effed and blinded at the ref "to show he cares" and kissed the badge a few times would that placate everyone?

The Utd way would be giving 100% to winning the game in which you are playing no matter who the player is or what his role is. I'm not saying Ronaldo should be tracking up and down the wing for the full 90 but FFS he should track after balls he lost. Did you see the 1st Roma goal last night and the 2 Villa goal on Sunday? If he had of sprinted back after giving away possesion the goals would have been much harder to score.. Not rocket science :-\

Minder

Quote from: EC Unique on April 08, 2009, 03:21:31 PM

The Utd way would be giving 100% to winning the game in which you are playing no matter who the player is or what his role is. I'm not saying Ronaldo should be tracking up and down the wing for the full 90 but FFS he should track after balls he lost. Did you see the 1st Roma goal last night and the 2 Villa goal on Sunday? If he had of sprinted back after giving away possesion the goals would have been much harder to score.. Not rocket science :-\

Eh? Evans made a terrible balls for Portos first goal.

corn02

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 03:01:22 PM

Why?

United are the most high profile, and currently the most successful team in the Premier League. The Premier League is the most well attended, most financially lucrative, most viewed, and highest ranked league in the world.

Fifa voted Mdrid the biggest team of the 20th century.

Real Madrid have been more successful thn United.

Real Madrid is the richest club in europe.

A Harvard University study found that there are 287 million people in the world with an interest in Madrid - according to the study that is higher than United.

Ronaldo would get mroe independent commercial deals if he played for Madrid.

A Daintier Hero

Why?

The average attendance at a Premier League game in 2007/08 was 36,076

The average attendance at a Bundesliga game in 2007/08 was 38,925

corn02

Quote from: A Daintier Hero on April 08, 2009, 03:42:15 PM

Why?

The average attendance at a Premier League game in 2007/08 was 36,076

The average attendance at a Bundesliga game in 2007/08 was 38,925

Ding, ding.

I take it this because they still have those 'controlled terraces' in Germany?