Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 16, 2022, 10:08:07 AM
Its the worst Atletico side in a long time but they were always going to score against a United side who are incapable of keeping a clean sheet. We created next to nothing in the opening period when we were on top, if we'd have equalised I'd have expected Atletico to go and get another.

Culture amongst this group is rotten, thankfully 5 or 6 of them will be leaving on a free anyway. Pogba has to be the most overrated player of all time, not prepared to do his bit off the ball.

United generate big money and will no doubt be prepared to spend big again, getting the right manager is key to where United go from here; My choice would be Pochettino given who's available.

Where they're at at the moment reminds me of where Liverpool were in the 90s.  Supporters frustrated and harking back to the glory of the past but saddled with a set up (players, management and structures) that aren't right.  Liverpool had a rotten culture too, especially during Roy Evans' time.  Man u fans won't want to hear this but it could take a long long time to get everything in place for success.  If you get the right manager, and that's a big if, he'll be doing well to get the club challenging seriously in 4-5 years and that will be with a whole new squad of players who have been phased in over numerous transfer windows.  Throwing more money at it to make it happen sooner is probably not going to work.  Maybe in the French or Dutch leagues, but not the premier league.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Armamike on March 16, 2022, 03:01:51 PM
Its the worst Atletico side in a long time but they were always going to score against a United side who are incapable of keeping a clean sheet. We created next to nothing in the opening period when we were on top, if we'd have equalised I'd have expected Atletico to go and get another.

Culture amongst this group is rotten, thankfully 5 or 6 of them will be leaving on a free anyway. Pogba has to be the most overrated player of all time, not prepared to do his bit off the ball.

United generate big money and will no doubt be prepared to spend big again, getting the right manager is key to where United go from here; My choice would be Pochettino given who's available.

Where they're at at the moment reminds me of where Liverpool were in the 90s.  Supporters frustrated and harking back to the glory of the past but saddled with a set up (players, management and structures) that aren't right.  Liverpool had a rotten culture too, especially during Roy Evans' time.  Man u fans won't want to hear this but it could take a long long time to get everything in place for success.  If you get the right manager, and that's a big if, he'll be doing well to get the club challenging seriously in 4-5 years and that will be with a whole new squad of players who have been phased in over numerous transfer windows.  Throwing more money at it to make it happen sooner is probably not going to work.  Maybe in the French or Dutch leagues, but not the premier league.

Agree with this, and throwing stupid money on players because od their name won't fix it as we know - it hasn't worked since Ferguson left. I suppose you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 16, 2022, 10:06:40 PM

Agree with this, and throwing stupid money on players because od their name won't fix it as we know - it hasn't worked since Ferguson left. I suppose you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs...

United went 26 years without winning a title and Liverpool went 30, it can happen again.  I like every other red I know was desperate to get Klopp in and unfortunately the timing was never right before he went to Liverpool. United hung onto managers for far too long when they were all dead men walking,

Getting the structure behind the manager is vitally important too, Chelsea's managers haven't even lasted an average of 18 months in the last 15 years but have still managed to win plenty of trophies because their run the right way. I can pretend to have any faith in them to get it right, Arnold is cut from the same cloth as Woodward; Knows nothing about the game and neither do the owners, I hope Rangnick does hang around behind the scenes as I do think he knows what type of players are needed.

A huge overhaul is required, I know 6 will leave anyway but there's another 10 aren't good enough who need to be sold.

Ethan Tremblay

I think the issue is the type of players they are recruiting.  On that current team, I would imagine if several players were told they were being put on the transfer list, they wouldn't give two fcuks, they are just mercenaries after the money. 

Go back to the successful team and those types of players, they play for the shirt on their back, they may not have had the raw skill that some of this group has, but their winning mentality and passion for the club set them apart. 

I would liken Jordan Henderson to the type of player United needs.  He wouldn't be making any top 10 lists of the best centre midfielders currently, and on raw talent he is nowhere near Pogba.  But on hunger and desire to win he trumps Pogba and is superior in every way. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

JoG2

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 17, 2022, 10:40:10 AM
I think the issue is the type of players they are recruiting.  On that current team, I would imagine if several players were told they were being put on the transfer list, they wouldn't give two fcuks, they are just mercenaries after the money. 

Go back to the successful team and those types of players, they play for the shirt on their back, they may not have had the raw skill that some of this group has, but their winning mentality and passion for the club set them apart. 

I would liken Jordan Henderson to the type of player United needs.  He wouldn't be making any top 10 lists of the best centre midfielders currently, and on raw talent he is nowhere near Pogba.  But on hunger and desire to win he trumps Pogba and is superior in every way.

Henderson is probably the most improved Premier league player I've ever seen. A class act, the water carrier

johnnycool

Quote from: JoG2 on March 17, 2022, 11:11:14 AM

Henderson is probably the most improved Premier league player I've ever seen. A class act, the water carrier

Bissouma at Brighton is who Utd need to be going after, a younger Kante type but no doubt they'll go after some other big name attacker for extortionate money to be seen to please the fans..

Nanderson

Quote from: johnnycool on March 17, 2022, 11:46:06 AM

Bissouma at Brighton is who Utd need to be going after, a younger Kante type but no doubt they'll go after some other big name attacker for extortionate money to be seen to please the fans..
Cant see United going for him until the allegations against him have been dealt with to avoid a future greenwood situation but i would love to have him at united

laoislad

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 17, 2022, 09:59:18 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 16, 2022, 10:06:40 PM

United went 26 years without winning a title and Liverpool went 30, it can happen again.  I like every other red I know was desperate to get Klopp in and unfortunately the timing was never right before he went to Liverpool. United hung  ::)onto managers for far too long when they were all dead men walking,
Getting the structure behind the manager is vitally important too, Chelsea's managers haven't even lasted an average of 18 months in the last 15 years but have still managed to win plenty of trophies because their run the right way. I can pretend to have any faith in them to get it right, Arnold is cut from the same cloth as Woodward; Knows nothing about the game and neither do the owners, I hope Rangnick does hang around behind the scenes as I do think he knows what type of players are needed.

A huge overhaul is required, I know 6 will leave anyway but there's another 10 aren't good enough who need to be sold.
Yes, the only reason Man United didn't get Klopp was down to bad timing....::)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Nanderson on March 17, 2022, 12:28:27 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 17, 2022, 11:46:06 AM

Cant see United going for him until the allegations against him have been dealt with to avoid a future greenwood situation but i would love to have him at united

He's perfect for United in every way.....

Armamike

I'd have Jordan one of the first on the teamsheet for Liverpool.  He sets the tempo and leads.  Seriously underrated in terms of his passing ability.

NAG1

RR was brought in more so with a view to sorting the structures of the club at all levels and he hopefully we be able to have a positive influence on this in his consultant role.

Until these structures are sorted and a decent culture built around the club again they will continue to be in this limbo and lurching from one bad decision to the next. There is enough talent in the players currently there, but there is no sense of togetherness or unity. The impression that comes from this group of players is one of entitlement, they all love to be associated with the club and its ability to 'make them' but they are not willing to work hard for the club in return.

There is more to this than just a few transfer windows and new players coming to the club. A major reset of the club is required.

NAG1

Quote from: NAG1 on March 21, 2022, 02:52:27 PM
RR was brought in more so with a view to sorting the structures of the club at all levels and he hopefully we be able to have a positive influence on this in his consultant role.

Until these structures are sorted and a decent culture built around the club again they will continue to be in this limbo and lurching from one bad decision to the next. There is enough talent in the players currently there, but there is no sense of togetherness or unity. The impression that comes from this group of players is one of entitlement, they all love to be associated with the club and its ability to 'make them' but they are not willing to work hard for the club in return.

There is more to this than just a few transfer windows and new players coming to the club. A major reset of the club is required.

Feelings on Ten Hag vs Poch?

We know that the problems run deeper than just the new manager as we have discussed but do we think either would be a figure head to restructure and reorganise the club?

Armamike

Probably will not win the league again until the club changes owners or the owners themselves change their outlook and personnel around them. Inept decisions from the top means success is unlikely. Ferguson was able to succeed despite the owners but he was a one off.

general

Poch is a weak manager. Got away with it because he did what levy wanted.

weak showing again at psg. player power overshadowing him. reports of neymar turning up to training drunk most days. messi does what he wants.

At least Ten Hag looks hungry - hes achieved alot with an ajax side who are a selling club. plays attractive football which OT fans want to see

quit yo jibbajabba

Who does Neymar think he is - a Down Senior or somethin?!?!

😉😊