Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

i dont think Rooney can play up top on his own. he needs Falcao/RVP beside him. Or else he plays behind Falcao/RVP. yesterday was prob the lest effective ive seen him in a utd jersey.
Need Arsenal to beat Pool and us to beat Villa in  2 weeks to give us breathing space going into City Chelsea.
I think on head to heads for the top 5 teams United lead that little table at the moment

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 11:32:44 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 23, 2015, 10:01:53 AM
I was critical of Man U all season but they seem to be coming good at just the right time and there would seem to be more hope for next season.

Not nice to see Stevie G go out on that note.

shows how far they have dropped beating a piss poor liverpool to 4th place is all they have to play for after spending 150 million on players.
In fairness new signings many of which was overpriced take time to settle and I think more players were let go than brought in. Manchester United dropped back so far because of the poor replacement that was appointed after Fergusons retirement. Liverpool were in good form going into yesterday's game and are tough to beat at home.

Thewildcat

but sure united are not miles ahead of where they were last season at christmas they had about the same or less points than when moyes was over them, plus if MK Dons had to beat united and the team way off the top of the table and finish with no titles and yet LVG will keep his job. and the money he has spend on the Falcao is mind blowing and only on loan. will the united board give him another 150 million just to finish 4th next season to,   don't forget city Chelsea will also buy this summer to.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: snoopdog on March 23, 2015, 12:16:30 PM
i dont think Rooney can play up top on his own. he needs Falcao/RVP beside him. Or else he plays behind Falcao/RVP. yesterday was prob the lest effective ive seen him in a utd jersey.
Need Arsenal to beat Pool and us to beat Villa in  2 weeks to give us breathing space going into City Chelsea.
I think on head to heads for the top 5 teams United lead that little table at the moment

He's well able to play upfront on his own he's just not as good as many United fans think. The last thing we need is for him to be partnered with another centre forward with no pace, its been tried several times for the last 3 years and it doesn't work. Its one from Rooney or RVP currently as Falcao has been hopeless.

Thewildcat

well as poor as united have been the last two seasons i wouldn't have like to see where they would have finish the last two seasons without Rooney, RVP is gone Falcao is a joke, Wilson will make a good champioship player at best.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 01:02:02 PM
but sure united are not miles ahead of where they were last season at christmas they had about the same or less points than when moyes was over them, plus if MK Dons had to beat united and the team way off the top of the table and finish with no titles and yet LVG will keep his job. and the money he has spend on the Falcao is mind blowing and only on loan. will the united board give him another 150 million just to finish 4th next season to,   don't forget city Chelsea will also buy this summer to.
Only have to look at how Manchester United are faring against the top sides this season to last to know they are now miles ahead. Moyes was sacked when United lost to Everton and officially could no longer achieve a top four finish he took over a side that won the league while LVG took over a side that finished in seventh.

Don't think LVG had much dealing in last summer signings it seems Ed Woodward did that job and didn't do it well.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Thewildcat on March 23, 2015, 01:08:04 PM
well as poor as united have been the last two seasons i wouldn't have like to see where they would have finish the last two seasons without Rooney, RVP is gone Falcao is a joke, Wilson will make a good champioship player at best.

oh dear, you're either clueless or have the fishing rod out.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 23, 2015, 01:04:09 PM

He's well able to play upfront on his own he's just not as good as many United fans think. The last thing we need is for him to be partnered with another centre forward with no pace, its been tried several times for the last 3 years and it doesn't work. Its one from Rooney or RVP currently as Falcao has been hopeless.

I don't think many United fans think he's very good at all. Certainly I don't.

magpie seanie

As we draw breath for the final 8 games I just decided to have a look at how things were poised at this time last season and the relative performance of teams this season to last. Here's what I found:

Chelsea are 2 points worse off (2 games less played). {-2 to +4}
Manchester City are 2 points worse off (2 games more played). {-8 to -2}
Arsenal are 2 points worse off (same # games). {-2}
United are 8 points better off (same # games). {+8}
Liverpool are 11 points worse off (same # games). {-11}
Southampton are 8 points better off (1 less game played). {+8 to +11}
Spurs are 3 points worse off (1 game less played). {-3 to 0}
Swansea 14 points better off (same # games). {+14}
West Ham 11 points better off (same # games). {+11}
Stoke 5 better (1 game less played). {+5 to +8}
Palace 8 points better off (same # games). {+8}
Newcastle 11 points worse off (same # games). {-11}
Everton 20 points worse off (1 game less played). {-20 to -17}
WBA 5 better (same # games). {+5}
Hull 5 worse, (same # games). {-5}
Villa 6 points worse off (same # games). {-6}
Sunderland 1 better (2 games more played). {-5 to +1}

Not sure what those numbers tell us. Gary Monk has done a good job, better than I'd realised. Gas that Newcastle had Pardew "poached" off them rather than sacking him. He has done fine at Palace though.

I would have thought Chelsea were well ahead of their points total from last year but it's not the case. They're slightly ahead of last year but Liverpool and City have fallen away. Liverpool's start to the season was ridiculously bad when you think of the run they were on until recently.

snoopdog

I think the Rooney RVP partnership worked pretty well 2 seasons ago. Falcao hasnt been given the chance,  Uniteds strikers have been feeding on scraps all season due to LVG's system. If Falcao had wingers crossing the ball into him i have no doubt he would have been banging the goals in. he will be a success next season wherever he goes, hopefully it wont be to Chelsea or Liverpool
Rooney is prob our most important outfield player, granted he was terrible on sunday but when he isnt in the team they suffer big time.

magpie seanie

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2015, 04:59:48 PM

I think the Rooney RVP partnership worked pretty well 2 seasons ago. Falcao hasnt been given the chance,  Uniteds strikers have been feeding on scraps all season due to LVG's system. If Falcao had wingers crossing the ball into him i have no doubt he would have been banging the goals in. he will be a success next season wherever he goes, hopefully it wont be to Chelsea or Liverpool
Rooney is prob our most important outfield player, granted he was terrible on sunday but when he isnt in the team they suffer big time.

Continuing on from my previous post - after 30 games last year United had scored 48 goals and this season after 30 games they have scored 52. Only the 3 teams above United have scored more goals this season.

Rooney has always played poorly away to Liverpool and Everton. Must be in his head.

snoopdog

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 25, 2015, 05:06:23 PM

Continuing on from my previous post - after 30 games last year United had scored 48 goals and this season after 30 games they have scored 52. Only the 3 teams above United have scored more goals this season.

Rooney has always played poorly away to Liverpool and Everton. Must be in his head.

Nowhere near the amount of goals they used to score when they were going for titles, Sure Ronaldo would nearly have scored that on his own.

magpie seanie

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2015, 05:09:44 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 25, 2015, 05:06:23 PM

Nowhere near the amount of goals they used to score when they were going for titles, Sure Ronaldo would nearly have scored that on his own.

Yes - for the two seasons prior to last (i.e. 2011/2 and 2012/3) which ended with the title after 30 games United had scored 74 and 70. However, this is not a title challenging side. Getting those extra goals is the challenge and one I'm sure will be addressed in the summer.

Maroon Manc

They barely played together as a front 2, Rooney was injured a fair bit and was either played out wide in big games or was dropped like he was against Real Madrid.

Falcao may well prove to be a success somewhere else next season but he won't get anywhere near the level he was previously at. He's nearly 30 and has had 3 cruciate injuries, we took a gamble and it hasn't worked.

snoopdog

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 25, 2015, 05:27:14 PM

They barely played together as a front 2, Rooney was injured a fair bit and was either played out wide in big games or was dropped like he was against Real Madrid.

Falcao may well prove to be a success somewhere else next season but he won't get anywhere near the level he was previously at. He's nearly 30 and has had 3 cruciate injuries, we took a gamble and it hasn't worked.

i think the played together in 27 games with a tally of 33 goals, cant argue with that,