Armagh v Derry - Ulster Final, 14th May, 2023 @ 4pm

Started by Walter Cronc, May 01, 2023, 08:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dabh on May 15, 2023, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 15, 2023, 09:54:44 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 15, 2023, 09:44:45 AM
Is touching the keeper in the square at all not a foul?

Campbell when you look at it was very clever to get that foul but either team would have been at that.

You can tackle the ball but can't shoulder.. Free out if shouldered

From rule book
When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his puck, kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

From me
I've no idea what a charge is (if is not a shoulder) and i'd guess noone does

A charge is the GAA rule-book term for a shoulder.

It's defined in the rule book.

illdecide

Game had everything...boring at times, exciting at times and both teams had the chance to win it several times but couldn't put each other away. Thought Derry were the better team first half and Armagh the better team second half. The goal was fluky in a way, 9/10 times that ball is scooped up by defender or goal keeper and cleared. Derry kept chipping away and we tried to keep at it but every time we pulled it back to a 1 point game and had chances to equalise we didn't take it and then Derry would go back uo the field and go 2-3 pts up again. So frustrating at times that. For me J Og should have gone for goal and that would have been the winning of the game. The 2 points up with 3-4 mins to go in extra time was criminal not to win it from that position, the keeper lost his marbles with his kickouts at the end there and tbf to him the crowd were forcing him into the kicks and ref was close to blowing him up for it so he had to just kick them.
Overall came home last night very disappointed to have lost, we've now lost two penalty deciders which is no way to finish the game. Turn the teams around and play 5 mins each half again until someone wins (I know if we'd won, I'd prob think penalties are a great way to settle it...lol). For me if Campbell had started, we could have won the game and if KMcG have went for it from the start we could have won it instead of trying to contain Derry...The Derry keeper played very well and for me could have been man of the match as he saved 3 spot kicks and dealt well with a lot of high balls in the square. Congrats Derry on the win and for us it's back to the slog and the group of death...Armagh wouldn't have it any other way ::)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Dabh

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 15, 2023, 10:40:30 AM
Quote from: Dabh on May 15, 2023, 09:58:30 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on May 15, 2023, 09:54:44 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on May 15, 2023, 09:44:45 AM
Is touching the keeper in the square at all not a foul?

Campbell when you look at it was very clever to get that foul but either team would have been at that.

You can tackle the ball but can't shoulder.. Free out if shouldered

From rule book
When he is within the small rectangle, the goalkeeper may not be charged but he may be challenged for possession of the ball, and his puck, kick or pass may be blocked. Incidental contact with the goalkeeper while playing the ball is permitted.

From me
I've no idea what a charge is (if is not a shoulder) and i'd guess noone does

A charge is the GAA rule-book term for a shoulder.

It's defined in the rule book.

didn't realise that
Provided he has at least one foot on the ground, a player may make a shoulder-to shoulder charge on an
opponent
(a) who is in possession of the ball, or
(b) In Hurling - who is playing the ball; In Football - who is playing the ball other than when kicking it, or
(c) both players are moving in the direction of the ball to play it.

Definate free out so -  Turbitt hit him a shoulder within the small rectangle

lurganblue

Quote from: Mario on May 15, 2023, 10:25:06 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on May 15, 2023, 10:20:40 AM
A bit of a contradiction... I thought Derry were the better side on the day, but really Armagh should have won it.  Our first half shooting was horrendous. Grugan's mark was scoreable imo.  Jarly óg needed to be more ruthless bearing down on goal to kill the game (maybe i'm being harsh there?), 2 points up with minutes to play. I think a top top team gets over the line.

I felt completely flat going into the penalties.
Probably agree with this. In normal time we led nearly the whole game but couldn't get 3 points ahead. Rogers fisted effort off the post would have done that and probably won us the game which was very frustrating at the time. The minute he got black carded and Armagh went into extra time with an extra man, the momentum, and a favourable breeze i thought we had no chance.

All the Armagh fans around me were quite happy for Jarly og to fist that over at the time - hindsight is a wonderful thing. Grugans mark wasn't easy shooting into those goals. I thought Armagh's shooting was pretty good especially against the breeze they pinged over a few beauties.

Heard those voices beside me too and I can assure you I was vocal enough myself in saying we had to go for the game there. Only an opinion of course. We could miss and then it looks silly not taking the point.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 14, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
Lovely jubbly. Topped off with the wannabe hard man Rian O'Nell missing a pen!
Classy comment there. Nice to see someone gracious in victory
Careful now

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleaflad on May 15, 2023, 09:27:25 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 15, 2023, 09:12:16 AM
On Gough. I've no complaints whatsoever. Did I agree with every decision? No. But I'm sure Derry ones would say the same
Thought he was kind to Armagh to be honest and that your tackling was really poor. Nowhere near the ball a lot of the time and you got a couple turnovers where the Derry player was fouled. I actually like watching this Armagh team and could just as easily have won yesterday but the tackling is something that'll hold you back with another ref down the line unless improved in my opinion.

I agree.
Discipline in the tackle is poor and too many seem intent on playing the hard man rather than play the football.
Nugent and ONeill in particular yesterday.

Ref blew derry keeper for taking too long but didn't do the same for rafferty. Consistency is all you want from a ref.
Is interpretation of over carrying seemed to change throughout the game too.
I thought in general he was poor and missed a lot.

clarshack

naka

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 15, 2023, 11:11:47 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 14, 2023, 08:38:00 PM
Lovely jubbly. Topped off with the wannabe hard man Rian O'Nell missing a pen!
Classy comment there. Nice to see someone gracious in victory

classy comment,

as an aside i have my issues with brolly but he nailed it yestersday in the indo.
the derry county board have issues to deal which go beyond last week

gallsman

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 15, 2023, 10:06:16 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2023, 09:38:45 AM
Ah here, Campbell getting "shoved in the back" stretches the limits of credulity. He was lightly tackled from either side. You could maybe just about find a foul with it if you tried hard enough but he certainly went down easily. Lynch was definitely shouldered inside the box for the 45 but then should have been done for over carrying before the throw ball.

The trip on McGuigan I didn't think was that big a deal to be honest. Looked as if his hand more brushed against his leg in an attempt to trip. Certainly didn't have a good grip of him or clobber his leg a la Peter Stringer. Morgan still being on McGuigan at that stage possibly the biggest indictment of Armagh management on the day.

11 min 55 seconds. Clear 2 hands in his back
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLv8ABONac&pp=ygUlYXJtYWdoIHZzIGRlcnJ5IGZ1bGwgbWF0Y2ggZXh0cmEgdGltZQ%3D%3D

That's not what it shows at all. It most certainly does not show a "shove".

trailer

Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2023, 11:20:44 AM
Ah here, Campbell getting "shoved in the back" stretches the limits of credulity. He was lightly tackled from either side. You could maybe just about find a foul with it if you tried hard enough but he certainly went down easily. Lynch was definitely shouldered inside the box for the 45 but then should have been done for over carrying before the throw ball.

The trip on McGuigan I didn't think was that big a deal to be honest. Looked as if his hand more brushed against his leg in an attempt to trip. Certainly didn't have a good grip of him or clobber his leg a la Peter Stringer. Morgan still being on McGuigan at that stage possibly the biggest indictment of Armagh management on the day.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLv8ABONac&pp=ygUlYXJtYWdoIHZzIGRlcnJ5IGZ1bGwgbWF0Y2ggZXh0cmEgdGltZQ%3D%3D

Watched it back. Definite free. McFaul I think it is is tackling correctly, the other Derry lad comes in wrong hand and slaps at the ball, other hand on his back. Campbell feels the contact and goes to ground.
Rodgers then comes in an knees him in the back for good measure after the play is stopped.

general_lee

Two men tackling, neither got the ball and one possibly high round the shoulder? Definite free in.

Armamike

In real time and from a distance I thought Soupy's free was soft and he went down a bit easy.  But he won it because he had the nous and ability to run full pelt at Derry and ask them a question. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

lurganblue

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 15, 2023, 11:17:09 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on May 15, 2023, 09:27:25 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 15, 2023, 09:12:16 AM
On Gough. I've no complaints whatsoever. Did I agree with every decision? No. But I'm sure Derry ones would say the same
Thought he was kind to Armagh to be honest and that your tackling was really poor. Nowhere near the ball a lot of the time and you got a couple turnovers where the Derry player was fouled. I actually like watching this Armagh team and could just as easily have won yesterday but the tackling is something that'll hold you back with another ref down the line unless improved in my opinion.

I agree.
Discipline in the tackle is poor and too many seem intent on playing the hard man rather than play the football.
Nugent and ONeill in particular yesterday.

Ref blew derry keeper for taking too long but didn't do the same for rafferty. Consistency is all you want from a ref.
Is interpretation of over carrying seemed to change throughout the game too.
I thought in general he was poor and missed a lot.

I'd have little complaints about Gough tbh.  I thought he did a good job and called it right for the majority of it.  I didnt understand why he made Armagh retake their kickout at the end when they were away with a vital short one gaining possession.  He seemed to stop it, turn to talk to someone, and then have it retaken.  We then couldnt get a short one free and had to go long and lose it. A big moment.

Armamike

Quote from: clarshack on May 15, 2023, 11:19:52 AM
penalties are a great way to finish it.

Not sure if you would say that if Tyrone lost on them! Golden score would be better. Next point wins.
That's just, like your opinion man.

tbrick18

Quote from: gallsman on May 15, 2023, 11:20:44 AM

It's maybe not a shove but that's generally always given as a free.
Didn't need to do it either as there was a defender right in front of him and mcfaul to his other side. Just needed to track him and it would probably have been turned over.
So no complaints on that one.
Campbell always looked like being able to generate something.  Was armaghs most dangerous player, don't understand why he didn't start. Maybe fitness?