Sam Maguire permutations

Started by seafoid, April 11, 2023, 09:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2023, 06:31:03 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on May 07, 2023, 06:01:12 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 07, 2023, 04:45:46 PM
Fball got to the point where you got Kerry, Dublin, Galway a fair bit ahead of everybody, then Mayo, Tyrone, Derry, Armagh, Roscommon, who might beat one of the above but not two of them in the same year. After that nothing. It's went the way of hurling years ago were some teams on the day could do a upset but not any more. What the f**k going on in Cork, the size of the place.

Kerry are a fair bit ahead of the rest , not a lot between the chasing pack of Derry, Armagh , dublin , Galway, Mayo and tyrone .

Galway have yet to beat Kerry or Dublin in championship with their current side , they have been in one all Ireland final . Im not convinced as others are on Galways chances, lets see how they go against Tyrone in two weeks time for a start off. albeit tyrone havent looked great this year so far .

They might be the front runners but they're not way ahead of the rest on the back of demolition jobs on Tipperary and Clare. I don't see any of the Ulster sides as real AI contenders, the main two are Galway and Dublin.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on May 07, 2023, 06:55:29 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on May 07, 2023, 06:48:54 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 07, 2023, 04:33:06 PM
Kerry get rewarded as a 1st seed and all the advantages that carries for winning a nothing Munster Championship.
They're all ireland champions and favourites to win it again. Gonna be a first seed no matter you work out the criteria.

That's correct, Kerry are a first seed side no matter what way you look at it. I'd have much more of an issue with the fact that sides like Clare and Sligo are now second seeds having done nothing to merit being ranked that highly. This then skews the draw in favour of the teams in their group. Sligo shouldn't even be in the AI series considering they had wins over New York and Leitrim to get there.

I think the link needs to be solely between League position and not provincial championships.   

Does 2nd seeds versus third seeds make any difference?  Everyone gets 1 home, 1 away, 1 neutral. Don't see Sligo as 2nd seeds have any advantage over the Rossies as 3rd seeds, for example.

Although I do agree that losing provincial finalists should not have automatic entry into Sam.

Wildweasel74

Is the only advantage hone game first? Not matter a damn, they couldn't get enough to do a super 8, a 16 seeded championship no do better.

Sportacus

I criticise Sean Cavanagh often enough, but I'd agree totally with him tonight - there is no sense of occasion unless it's a knock out game.  The football championship is a mess.

armaghniac

Quote from: Sportacus on May 07, 2023, 10:06:52 PM
I criticise Sean Cavanagh often enough, but I'd agree totally with him tonight - there is no sense of occasion unless it's a knock out game.  The football championship is a mess.

That is simplistic. There were two games with cups at stake and the total attendance between the two was three quarters of that at a hurling game that was part of a round robin process.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

Big issue for new upcoming group format so especially for any team happy with 3rd place finish.  What type of crowds are we expecting for these upcoming games? do well to see 12k at some of them and plenty will choose not to attend all 3 games.

AustinPowers

He was also correct with  saying nobody  is really  bothered about winning    pre season competitions, now it's the same with  the league  , nand now  the  provincials too. And  sure even  if we lose a group game or two , ah sure we can still win Sam

What a load of  dung  the championship is

Rossfan

The Hurley crowd aren't going around moaning about their Round Robin Championships.
Then again most of them aren't from the 6 Cos ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

It's all just Tippy-Tappy stuff.

A waiting game. Waiting for knockout. What a mess?

It's just a procession of half nothing games until the 23/24th June.

It's actually worse concept than the Super 8's (and that is saying a lot)!

Eire90

will there be a big crowd at Galway v tyrone

do you think for teams expected to get out of group stage people will keep their money to the knockouts instead of paying going to the group games.

Derryman forever

Quote from: Eire90 on May 08, 2023, 01:15:17 AM
will there be a big crowd at Galway v tyrone

I go to a lot, not all Derry Games, but at £25 a game, I won't be getting to all the group games.

do you think for teams expected to get out of group stage people will keep their money to the knockouts instead of paying going to the group games.

larryin89

Won't bother Galway either way shur they're fan base is piss poor till all Ireland final day . How many Galway at provincial final yesterday, 5/6 k ? It's a poor show
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on May 07, 2023, 11:47:05 PM
The Hurley crowd aren't going around moaning about their Round Robin Championships.
Then again most of them aren't from the 6 Cos ;)

No they are just complaining that not enough of their games are on free to air. Hurling people are the biggest yaps in Ireland.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: larryin89 on May 08, 2023, 09:38:58 AM
Won't bother Galway either way shur they're fan base is piss poor till all Ireland final day . How many Galway at provincial final yesterday, 5/6 k ? It's a poor show
Yeah the Galway football support isn't great, but it's always been that way, if there's a Galway team going really well, the fairweathers will come out to support in good numbers, otherwise forget about it. Wouldn't be bothered about attendance yesterday, plenty of fans (including ones who go to most of the games like myself) made business decisions on a match that Galway were always going to win, with at least 3 more games to come.

Would be a massive issue alright if they handed out All Ireland's on the basis of "best fanbase", but they don't.

RedHand88

Having 3 qualify from a group of 4 makes it a bit pointless.