Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goats Do Shave

Just read the Last Testament by Sam Bourne. Fairly entertaining -slow start, but great when it gets going!

Also read Judg & Jury by James Patterson - Very easy book to read. Again entertaining...but fairly predictable.

In the middle of Relentless - very good so far!

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Windmill abu on October 10, 2007, 03:13:40 AM
Quote200 pages into  the IT book and it is excellent but I will watch the movie too. I suppose King is one of few novelists who have had films version surpass thier books i.e Shawshank and Green Mile.

Apart from "Dolores Clairbourne", "Misery" and the "Dead Zone" the film adaptations of Stephen King Novels have rarely lived up to the original.

The Shawshank Redemption & The Green Mile are both feel good movies,which despite being good movies, dont live up to the original stories and are untypical of King books.

Has anyone who says that Shawshank the movie is better than the book actually read the book

"It" was an overly long book and a rubbish movie.

As a Tv mini series "Salems Lot" wasn't a bad adaptaion for its time.

Dont forget The Shining, brilliant film.

Cujo, The Stand, Carrie and Needful Things were OK but The Shining is in a league of its own (with Shawshank)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

longball

Quote from: Pangurban on October 10, 2007, 12:51:33 AM
Was in Easons in Newry yesterday and was amazes at the proliferation of G.A.A. orientated Books. Changed times indeed i thought to myself

name a few there pangurban
Is Oisins book available yet?
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

Dangleberrys

Re: Books
« Reply #85 on: Today at 09:56:23 AM »
Just read the Last Testament by Sam Bourne. Fairly entertaining -slow start, but great when it gets going!

Also read Judg & Jury by James Patterson - Very easy book to read. Again entertaining...but fairly predictable.

Read a couple of Bourne's books, Last Testament is a good read but Righteous Men is a bit better, you should have a go

Patterson seems to be drawing the Cross saga out too much, Big Bad Wolf  was an excellent read but everything after that has been mediocre('Double Cross' and 'Cross')....still think all pre Big Bad Wolf books are highly underrated.....

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Dangleberrys on October 10, 2007, 02:01:21 PM
Re: Books
« Reply #85 on: Today at 09:56:23 AM »

Read a couple of Bourne's books, Last Testament is a good read but Righteous Men is a bit better, you should have a go

Patterson seems to be drawing the Cross saga out too much, Big Bad Wolf  was an excellent read but everything after that has been mediocre('Double Cross' and 'Cross')....still think all pre Big Bad Wolf books are highly underrated.....

Yeah really enjoyed Righteous Men, that made me have a go at his latest one. Think he only has 2 though!

saffron

Just about to finish  'The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East' by Robert Fisk. Excellent read especially for the first hand accounts he gives of the countries and people.

Pietas

Quote200 pages into  the IT book and it is excellent but I will watch the movie too. I suppose King is one of few novelists who have had films version surpass thier books i.e Shawshank and Green Mile.

Has anyone who says that Shawshank the movie is better than the book actually read the book

I think you're being hard on the movie there.  As I recall, its finished at no 1 in a survey of the top 100 movies here at Christmas.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

nifan

Ive read the book (or novella actually - the book is different seasons and contains apt pupil and stand by me and the breathing method, which hasnt been made into a film as its crap) and i find the film as good as the book.
It is amusing that "red" is actually irish with red hair in the book, and in the film when asked why they call him read jokes that "maybe its cos im irish.

Puckoon

Louth Exile

Never bought anything from Amazon until last week. Had been looking through my book collection and realised that two of my favourites were no longer with me (brother probably stole them years ago). Anyway, even though I've read them both a couple of times wanted to have a copy of them and give them another read. They arrived today....

The Big Fellow by Frank O'Connor (about the greatest man in Irish history)
The Boss by Joe Joyce & Peter Murath (about the greatest gangster in Irish History)

Whatever your feelings on either character I found both to very enjoyable reads. The Big Fellow is far from your typical historical biography, firstly it was written only 15 years after his death and it is full of anecdotes. Frank O'Connor being such a wonderfull short story writer (I'm sure most on here have read the wonderfull First Confession at some stage) writes this in very different style than any other book you will get on Collins. The Boss focuses one very interesting year in Irish poltics, 1982. Phone taps and Haugheys first govt.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

ONeill

Just finished reading Brian Clough's Autobiography (Clough: The Autobiography 1995).

One you accept his ego was out of control, it becomes an extremely enjoyable read. Highlights are his version of the Leeds debacle, Hillsborough, the 2 European Cups, his drinking, Peter Taylor, Gazza and relegation. His despair regarding his final season and the relegation is surprising. You get the impression that it ultimately ruined his whole career, for him. Very sad.

Some brilliant one-liners and analysis of his players and other. He wasn't a fan of the smart-arsed Martin O'Neill.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

magickingdom

half way thro 'ryanair'. its a great read..

nifan

was it not withdrawn duing to being libelous rather than banned?

and he has also payed huge damages as some of the claims at least where absolute balls

nifan

im sure there is some truth there 5times, its just reading "factual" books when you know a lot of it is balls, but cant tell which bits strikes me as a waste of effort.

Balboa

Halfway through "Shoot To Kill" about a fellas time in the paras, he has just landed in Belfast to take part in "peacekeeping duties".......