Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2022, 05:00:39 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on July 12, 2022, 04:46:19 PM
Quote from: God14 on July 12, 2022, 10:15:57 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2022, 09:33:28 AM
The second Galway goal was technically  superb. 2 inch perfect kicks.

It really was a beauty, I've watched it back quite a few times.

Joins some famous names on the list of goals into open nets in Croke Park.
- Mikey Sheehy v Dublin 1978
- Barney Rock v Galway 1983
- James Horan v Kerry 1996

Restricting it to championship. If I included league, I'd have to include Barney Rock in ET v Cork in 87 league final against no opposition which shouldn't really count.
Similar . Goalie kicks to Donaghy and is off line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3M7YOCkkCY

Not sure if that counts as an empty bet, by the time Donaghy shoots, the goalie is almost in the position you'd expect him for a normal one on one.
Donaghy's first goal v Cork in the 07 final is another. Possibly his 2nd goal in the same game also .

onefineday

Quote from: screenexile on July 10, 2022, 11:24:04 PM
I have 3 complaints about the first half

1. Why was the Glass score not given when Walsh's was
2. There was a clear footblock from a scoreable position
3. Benny Heron was tripped at the top of the D and should have been a free in

No conplaints  about the second half other than the keeper jogging back to goal when he was caught up the pitch. He mightn't have made it but jesus make an effort!!
Just re-watched it.
- Herron trip was free in.
- Very obvious foot block.
- Hawkeye decision was massive momentum change.
- 3 very handy frees to start the second half ended the game.
- It was painful to watch Derry player after player not take on the shot in the second half, or play the long ball in when they actually had men up. They had plenty of opportunities from 35 yds odd, but time and again turned them down.
- Galway were almost as poor attacking as Derry. Didn't score for 20 mins, then managed 4 (3😉) before ht. Got 3 soft frees and a goal in the next 10 mins and only managed another goal and a point in the remaining 30 mins. The keeper was roaming for the goal and the point was a keeper error.
- Comer was the best player on the pitch, really made it happen for Galway and dragged them to victory.
- Galway defence was excellent as was their second half press on the kickouts.
- Had to be a hard watch for a neutral!
No complaints, the better team won, but it's hard to see them being competitive in the final.

Manning18

A foot block is to stop injury when the studs are coming down directly on a kicking players foot. Not sure someone getting their calf in the way of shot is a foot block.

Keep seeing comments about these 3 soft frees. The first one is a stone wall pull before the ball arrives on Finnerty so that one can be forgotten about. The second one, McHugh in the buildup is possibly high, ref let's play go in accordance to how the game was being played and there's a clear touch on the ground afterwards for the free. It's a 50/50 one that in another game would've been a free out so can accept that one. The third is soft yes but it's a tug on the arm and all tugs on arms and jersey have been given by all refs this year. In standard gaa games it's soft however

Not sure how there's such a discussion on Hawkeye. What were they supposed to do? It'd be a farce if it wasn't given

Agreed that Derry snuffed out the Galway attack well the last day. Given that Galways forwards were vastly superior than the oppositions in basically every game this year bar the league final, I dont think they'll be two worried about 1 down performance against a few excellent man markers. As much as the defence has improved, that's still the worry point going into Sunday week

Milltown Row2

Quote from: onefineday on July 13, 2022, 12:42:23 AM

No conplaints  about the second half other than the keeper jogging back to goal when he was caught up the pitch. He mightn't have made it but jesus make an effort!!
Just re-watched it.
- It was painful to watch Derry player after player not take on the shot in the second half, or play the long ball in when they actually had men up. They had plenty of opportunities from 35 yds odd, but time and again turned them down.
- Galway were almost as poor attacking as Derry. Didn't score for 20 mins, then managed 4 (3😉) before ht. Got 3 soft frees and a goal in the next 10 mins and only managed another goal and a point in the remaining 30 mins. The keeper was roaming for the goal and the point was a keeper error.
- Comer was the best player on the pitch, really made it happen for Galway and dragged them to victory.
No complaints, the better team won, but it's hard to see them being competitive in the final.

No complaints, just a nice set of bullet points on your complaints observations
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 13, 2022, 03:00:42 PM
Quote from: onefineday on July 13, 2022, 12:42:23 AM

Just re-watched it.

No complaints, just a nice set of bullet points on your complaints observations

In fairness I think Onefineday's analysis is spot on here?

Although... that is a beautiful use of the substrike and a nice play on complaints/observations!

armaghniac

In relation to the goal when the goalie was up the field. If there was a turnover and the ball delivered to Comer in the clear the he had a very good chance of scoring a goal even if the goalie was in place. If you leave a good forward with only one man marking him then any turnover is dangerous.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Still think Kerry, unlike Derry, will try a few long diagonal balls into the square early on in the final.  Be hard to see the Kerrymen miss an opportunity like that.

Gallagher and his management team disappointed me in that respect - very poor indeed I thought.

armaghniac

Quote from: marty34 on July 13, 2022, 08:35:49 PM
Still think Kerry, unlike Derry, will try a few long diagonal balls into the square early on in the final.  Be hard to see the Kerrymen miss an opportunity like that.

Gallagher and his management team disappointed me in that respect - very poor indeed I thought.

With the likes of Clifford in there, they would be mad not to try it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on July 13, 2022, 08:24:02 PM
In relation to the goal when the goalie was up the field. If there was a turnover and the ball delivered to Comer in the clear the he had a very good chance of scoring a goal even if the goalie was in place. If you leave a good forward with only one man marking him then any turnover is dangerous.
Derry were making no progress against the Galway defence so the goalie was sent to the front. Galway were more accurate than any other team Derry had played. So the turnover was punished severely. That was the end of the match.

onefineday

It was bizarre, but it wasn't a management issue. In the second half you could see them setting up for it time and again, but the players outfield kept on taking an extra pass instead of either shooting or lobbing it in to the 3 or often 4 men standing inside waiting.
In fairness to lynch, when he was blocked down by mcdaid (who had another excellent game) it looks like he was trying to play it into the square.

onefineday

Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2022, 09:34:02 PM
Derry were making no progress against the Galway defence so the goalie was sent to the front. Galway were more accurate than any other team Derry had played. So the turnover was punished severely. That was the end of the match.
It was definitely over with the first goal, and at the game it felt over when it got to 6-4!
Don't understand the 'accuracy' point?

onefineday

We're allowed a wee bit of a bellyache MR2.
What's annoying about the post game commentary has been derry's negativity versus galway's positive attitude which won them the game. Mcstay has a big article about it the other day and it's a common narrative - two pure football teams in the final and other such nonsense.
Imo it doesn't bear up to scrutiny. Like many games it turned on a few critical moments, in this one they were either side of half time. I'm quite sure if you looked at time in opposition half etc Derry would probably have at least twice as much time if not more (I'm not saying it was constructive or imaginative and you know my thoughts on keep ball), but Galway offered very little up front either, hence the long periods of inactivity on the scoreboard.
One other bullet point I omitted, the ref had caught onto mckinless by the second half. I hadn't really noticed that side of his game in the previous matches, but it seemed like every time he was in contact he tried to manufacture a free, the ref, probably rightly adopted a fool me once attitude...

onefineday

Quote from: armaghniac on July 13, 2022, 09:31:32 PM

With the likes of Clifford in there, they would be mad not to try it.
It's a key part of their game and has been throughout the Clifford era. He's 6ft 4, built like a tank and the best footballer I've ever seen, at times (understandablly) their gameplan is as simple as 'get it into David'.

seafoid

Quote from: onefineday on July 14, 2022, 08:18:48 AM
Quote from: seafoid on July 13, 2022, 09:34:02 PM
It was definitely over with the first goal, and at the game it felt over when it got to 6-4!
Don't understand the 'accuracy' point?
Derry would have gotten away with that turnover in another match. Galway had the ball  in the net in 2 moves. Also in the second half the Derry forwards couldn't get into shooting position whereas in the Clare match they scored 5 goals.  The skill levels get higher the deeper into the competition you go.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Ach we were well beat and the scoreline flattered us, but good progress made