Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: Mario on July 12, 2022, 07:59:10 AM
Quote from: onefineday on July 12, 2022, 01:17:47 AM
In terms of goalkeeping, lynch didn't inspire confidence over the course of the championship, looked dodgy against Donegal, was awful for both Clare goals, not great on Comer's first and his forward play contributed to the second with the pass and then a run across glass which contributed to the turnover. He was also fortunate that the palm of the high ball in the 2nd half only resulted in a point.
So I assume he's not there for his shot stopping, I don't fault him for his forward forays, they're obviously forced on him, but barring the goal v Monaghan, what have they contributed - and he does have to try and get back a bit quicker, at least for the look of it if nothing else.
Kickouts are okay, but he can be got at and I felt lack of length over the Galway press on Saturday was a huge problem for Derry.
I think the criticism of lynch is way over the top. His kick outs are good. He got caught out for the comer goal but it 100% Glass's fault. Playing the way he is instructed is extremely high risk compared to any other position on the pitch and I cant think of any key moment this year where he cost Derry. The Clare second goal perhaps but the game was over.
Totally agree that he's only doing what he's told, although you'd question the wisdom of that instruction. Don't like criticising for that, but his goalkeeping has not been up to scratch in the last 3 matches either. One Donegal goal and nearly another, 2 clare goals and contributory to Galway goal and nearly another. Maybe it's because of the outfield duties imposed on him, if that's the case it's time someone did a cost benefit analysis and worked out of it makes sense or not, it doesn't seem to.

sam03/05

One thing is guaranteed in football at the minute
You won't win an All Ireland without a top class goalkeeper. Lynch is just average in terms of shot stopping, outfield play, high ball & a bit better at kickouts ( although Galway dismantled him in League & he was at major fault earlier in Sigerson cup). This will be a major reason why Galway won't win it.
Kerry keeper Ryan looks very good - although Morgan & Beggan are the two best around. With Morgan tipping it for me as he is brilliant under high ball.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: onefineday on July 12, 2022, 08:52:32 AM
In terms of goalkeeping, lynch didn't inspire confidence over the course of the championship, looked dodgy against Donegal, was awful for both Clare goals, not great on Comer's first and his forward play contributed to the second with the pass and then a run across glass which contributed to the turnover. He was also fortunate that the palm of the high ball in the 2nd half only resulted in a point.
So I assume he's not there for his shot stopping, I don't fault him for his forward forays, they're obviously forced on him, but barring the goal v Monaghan, what have they contributed - and he does have to try and get back a bit quicker, at least for the look of it if nothing else.
Kickouts are okay, but he can be got at and I felt lack of length over the Galway press on Saturday was a huge problem for Derry.
I think the criticism of lynch is way over the top. His kick outs are good. He got caught out for the comer goal but it 100% Glass's fault. Playing the way he is instructed is extremely high risk compared to any other position on the pitch and I cant think of any key moment this year where he cost Derry. The Clare second goal perhaps but the game was over.
Totally agree that he's only doing what he's told, although you'd question the wisdom of that instruction. Don't like criticising for that, but his goalkeeping has not been up to scratch in the last 3 matches either. One Donegal goal and nearly another, 2 clare goals and contributory to Galway goal and nearly another. Maybe it's because of the outfield duties imposed on him, if that's the case it's time someone did a cost benefit analysis and worked out of it makes sense or not, it doesn't seem to.

Totally caught at sea for both Clare goals unfortunately

oakleaflad

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2022, 09:06:14 AM

Best keeper we have on the panel though and it's not close for me

seafoid

The second Galway goal was technically  superb. 2 inch perfect kicks.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 12, 2022, 09:28:51 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 12, 2022, 09:06:14 AM

Best keeper we have on the panel though and it's not close for me

Yeah id probably stick with him

God14

Quote from: seafoid on July 12, 2022, 09:33:28 AM

It really was a beauty, I've watched it back quite a few times.

trailer

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 11, 2022, 08:20:02 PM
Well, when we played 7s, the best coaches I ever played under always put the best player in goals.

They were the sweeper, the man over and the playmaker all rolled into one.

I think teams need to be a bit wiser to it, if the goalie moves out, others shuffle back one, similar to if a corner back is on the overlap - the fellas know to ensure one hangs. Yeah, your removing the physical man over in the reshuffle, but by the time the other team gets themselves organised, they'll struggle to ripple back the freed up man to markup onto the goalie.

The thing is, they need to be goalkeepers first. Good shot stoppers, good kickout, ability to command the square. That is getting a bit lost in this new fly goalie role. If a team dominates the game with a fly goalie those areas don't get exposed, but if they don't, then they get brutally exposed. If they can tick those boxes and offer an attacking dimension and place ball kicking option then that's the ideal scenario. No one yet has been able to do everything. Cluxton got very close.

Rossfan

Quote from: God14 on July 12, 2022, 10:15:57 AM

Helps if you've no goalkeeper though :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RedHand88

At the time I thought he'd over hit it. It just dipped beautifully at the last second.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 12, 2022, 11:45:53 AM

Helps if you've no goalkeeper though :D
The Derry goalie was caught out of position before the goal as well. Derry didn't have the accuracy for such nonsense

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blanketattack

Joins some famous names on the list of goals into open nets in Croke Park.
- Mikey Sheehy v Dublin 1978
- Barney Rock v Galway 1983
- James Horan v Kerry 1996

Restricting it to championship. If I included league, I'd have to include Barney Rock in ET v Cork in 87 league final against no opposition which shouldn't really count.

seafoid

Quote from: blanketattack on July 12, 2022, 04:46:19 PM

Joins some famous names on the list of goals into open nets in Croke Park.
- Mikey Sheehy v Dublin 1978
- Barney Rock v Galway 1983
- James Horan v Kerry 1996

Restricting it to championship. If I included league, I'd have to include Barney Rock in ET v Cork in 87 league final against no opposition which shouldn't really count.
Similar . Goalie kicks to Donaghy and is off line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3M7YOCkkCY