Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Rudi on July 11, 2022, 11:11:59 AM
Great to see a team that was second best  ;D in Division 2 reach an All Ireland final. Gives great hope to teams outside the top 4.
Inspirational stuff for counties that can't even win their divisional final.

seafoid

If Ulster football was a share the price would have tanked in early trading this morning.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 11, 2022, 10:40:48 AM
Quote from: God14 on July 11, 2022, 09:31:54 AM
24 is very young for a keeper. Cluxton was making big blunders at that age (2003 v Armagh)
I think Derry should stick with him.

Mckinless of Ballinderry was another promising young keeper. Suprised he isn't on the panel

Ultimately Derry need to unearth a few forwards to make the next step. Callum Brown maybe someday? Lachlan Murray took his goal well, hes worth keeping an eye on too.

I still have major reservations on whether forwards can actively progress under Gallaghers management tho. Derry could do worse than listen to Darren McCurrys views on the BBC social, playing as an attacker in that exact same system under Harte.

My main concern about Goalkeeping is the goalkeeping coach. He was a poor keeper when playing for Derry, imo, so I'm not sure he's the man to have in there as the GK coach. I could be wrong, good players don't always make good coaches so I guess the opposite can also be true.
Talk of Callum Brown is silly imo. By all accounts he's doing well with the oval ball and we just have to forget about him unless he happens to return.
The single most obvious addition to the panel next year would be Ciaran McFaul. He'd be a big plus for us on long kickouts and brings a lot to attack. Hopefully he can be brought back in again.
Murray definately has potential, got a fair bit of time over the league so this year should bring him on.
Not sure what the story is with Tohill. I've watched him in the warmups and he looks huge, fast and fit. Strange he never got a minute, but maybe Gallagher has him there this year to bring him on for next year. I'm assuming he can play up front or MF?
We're probably 3-4 panel players short.
We'll need a Mckaigue replacement in the next couple of years so should be looking at that.
We need some more options in the middle third, possibly McFaul fills that role.
We could also do with a forward or two.

I'm sure the system will evolve, and I think the Clare game was an attempt at doing that (4 men FF line at times).

But we're not too far away imo.

Not a very skillful player tbh

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: mouview on July 11, 2022, 09:48:49 AM
Quote from: LC on July 11, 2022, 08:27:19 AM
Anybody see or hear anything about the Gards being a bit heavy handed in the Hill on Saturday?

Saturday or Sunday?

Naw our fans deserved it. Make total tits of themselves. far too many bandwagoners only interested in getting clean pished.

trueblue1234

Quote from: seafoid on July 11, 2022, 11:23:54 AM
If Ulster football was a share the price would have tanked in early trading this morning.

Coming down from the peak of 2022. Connaught's is on the rise but from a very low baseline.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

"Derry's system reliant on counterattacking and scoring, with the energy driving Derry's momentum. Instead they were constantly turned over
and Galway kept on counterattacking" (in a form of reverse catenaccio )

@43:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHExmnaUMuI

bigarsedkeeper

My main concern about Goalkeeping is the goalkeeping coach. He was a poor keeper when playing for Derry, imo, so I'm not sure he's the man to have in there as the GK coach. I could be wrong, good players don't always make good coaches so I guess the opposite can also be true.

[/quote]

Who's the goalkeeper coach?

tbrick18

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on July 11, 2022, 01:34:29 PM

Who's the goalkeeper coach?
[/quote]

Postie.

Will it ever end

Having absolutely no personal knowledge of the lads coaching you've managed to totally write it off whilst also saying he was a very poor keeper - madness of the highest order.

Sportacus

It's a strange one for me that Gallagher is so system oriented and risk averse, but asked the young lad to play fly goalie.  If he wanted to price in a bit of jeopardy, a few high balls into the square would have been a better bet.  Watching McKaigue sky a shot and the goalie having a shot blocked after telegraphing it, both would have been better slung in to the back stick. Galway couldn't deal with it against Armagh and you can be sure Kerry will be bombing them in.

seafoid

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Sportacus on July 11, 2022, 03:34:19 PM
It's a strange one for me that Gallagher is so system oriented and risk averse, but asked the young lad to play fly goalie.  If he wanted to price in a bit of jeopardy, a few high balls into the square would have been a better bet.  Watching McKaigue sky a shot and the goalie having a shot blocked after telegraphing it, both would have been better slung in to the back stick. Galway couldn't deal with it against Armagh and you can be sure Kerry will be bombing them in.
This is one thing that has annoyed me from looking at football lately. I understand keepers have to change going forward and you have to be much more comfortable on the ball than in previous years but there's some teams at a point where players can't risk a forward pass or a shot that's not nailed on but you expect the keeper to thread a pass through a crowd from the tee and then he's the only one taking a risk by going forward with the ball. Lynch didn't do much wrong on Saturday but was made look bad. Most keepers aren't up to that no matter what they say or think.
I've seen keepers on twitter championing Ethan Rafferty, saying we can play out surely, but he's proving that if you're going that way it's a midfielder you need in that position not a keeper that played midfield for his club at U16s.

RadioGAAGAA

Well, when we played 7s, the best coaches I ever played under always put the best player in goals.

They were the sweeper, the man over and the playmaker all rolled into one.

I think teams need to be a bit wiser to it, if the goalie moves out, others shuffle back one, similar to if a corner back is on the overlap - the fellas know to ensure one hangs. Yeah, your removing the physical man over in the reshuffle, but by the time the other team gets themselves organised, they'll struggle to ripple back the freed up man to markup onto the goalie.
i usse an speelchekor

onefineday

In terms of goalkeeping, lynch didn't inspire confidence over the course of the championship, looked dodgy against Donegal, was awful for both Clare goals, not great on Comer's first and his forward play contributed to the second with the pass and then a run across glass which contributed to the turnover. He was also fortunate that the palm of the high ball in the 2nd half only resulted in a point.
So I assume he's not there for his shot stopping, I don't fault him for his forward forays, they're obviously forced on him, but barring the goal v Monaghan, what have they contributed - and he does have to try and get back a bit quicker, at least for the look of it if nothing else.
Kickouts are okay, but he can be got at and I felt lack of length over the Galway press on Saturday was a huge problem for Derry.

Mario

Quote from: onefineday on July 12, 2022, 01:17:47 AM
In terms of goalkeeping, lynch didn't inspire confidence over the course of the championship, looked dodgy against Donegal, was awful for both Clare goals, not great on Comer's first and his forward play contributed to the second with the pass and then a run across glass which contributed to the turnover. He was also fortunate that the palm of the high ball in the 2nd half only resulted in a point.
So I assume he's not there for his shot stopping, I don't fault him for his forward forays, they're obviously forced on him, but barring the goal v Monaghan, what have they contributed - and he does have to try and get back a bit quicker, at least for the look of it if nothing else.
Kickouts are okay, but he can be got at and I felt lack of length over the Galway press on Saturday was a huge problem for Derry.
I think the criticism of lynch is way over the top. His kick outs are good. He got caught out for the comer goal but it 100% Glass's fault. Playing the way he is instructed is extremely high risk compared to any other position on the pitch and I cant think of any key moment this year where he cost Derry. The Clare second goal perhaps but the game was over.