Donegal vs Armagh Ulster Championship 2022

Started by Armagh18, March 31, 2022, 10:21:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 08, 2022, 12:49:19 AM
No talk of the actual game at all. All this Armagh self pity is , f**king pathetic. Expected better of a proud county. The amount of new hangers on from Armagh on the forum since Armagh started to do well again , to the fore. Bring bck Fearon, all is forgiven.
I fully expect us to go there and beat them, suspensions or not. The lads are there to come in and are as good as any they are replacing bar Rian. (His brothers not a bad player either so I think we'll be fine)

David McKeown

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 08, 2022, 12:49:19 AM
No talk of the actual game at all. All this Armagh self pity is , f**king pathetic. Expected better of a proud county. The amount of new hangers on from Armagh on the forum since Armagh started to do well again , to the fore. Bring bck Fearon, all is forgiven.

I think at this stage, until the suspensions are resolved it's very difficult to know what type of game we will have. I think it will require a vastly different strategy from Armagh depending on who is available.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Taylor

Just like the team, the supporters are imploding.

Perhaps its pressure of being in Division 1.
Perhaps its the pressure of winning so few games in Ulster in the last 10 years.

But I have never seen such crying and yapping because players are suspended for a game.

Its quite delicious to watch

nrico2006

Quote from: yellowcard on April 07, 2022, 12:29:17 PM
I'd be interested to know when the last time a team had 4 players suspended for a championship match. I can't think of any in recent memory, it is unprecedented and totally disproportionate to the incident involved.

Armagh have been very very quiet on the whole incident - there has been nobody from the team management, the county board or former players putting forward any degree of protestations. I'm not sure if it is because of the GPA ban but you would like to think that they are doing everything to defend these players in the background because they haven't had much support in the media since the incident.

When was the last time a team had 4 suspended for a league game prior to Tyrone?

On O'Neill, a lot of hype about him but what are his actual scoring contributions from play? 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gael80

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 08, 2022, 09:16:49 AM
I'd be interested to know when the last time a team had 4 players suspended for a championship match. I can't think of any in recent memory, it is unprecedented and totally disproportionate to the incident involved.

Armagh have been very very quiet on the whole incident - there has been nobody from the team management, the county board or former players putting forward any degree of protestations. I'm not sure if it is because of the GPA ban but you would like to think that they are doing everything to defend these players in the background because they haven't had much support in the media since the incident.

When was the last time a team had 4 suspended for a league game prior to Tyrone?

On O'Neill, a lot of hype about him but what are his actual scoring contributions from play?

To be fair, he'd start on every inter county team in the country including Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone this season, never mind the next two or three seasons as he develops.

Gael80

Quote from: Taylor on April 08, 2022, 08:29:39 AM
Just like the team, the supporters are imploding.

Perhaps its pressure of being in Division 1.
Perhaps its the pressure of winning so few games in Ulster in the last 10 years.

But I have never seen such crying and yapping because players are suspended for a game.

Its quite delicious to watch

Lol, the whole carry on has certainly got people talking 😀. As for the football, it's a long time since I've seen a team promoted from years in the lower divisions to instantly look comfortable in Division 1 especially when you think of teams like Cavan/Roscommon who go up and down, or Meath who struggled.

Armagh have to bring this into the championship arena and show the potential many think they have, but for the wider GAA and football landscape it's good to see teams coming through. This season it'll have to be through the qualifers, but I wouldn't want to draw them in those with a full team back. I'd say they'd love a second championship game with Donegal later in the season.

yellowcard

On the first question, I don't know the answer and I thought the 4 Tyrone suspensions were ridiculous on that occasion also. However I'm sure you can see the difference between a regulation League match and a knock out championship match. Armagh are not going to win an AI title this year but they could win an Ulster title. The suspensions massively impacts their chances of doing so.

I'd be fairly sure that Rian O'Neill has decent scoring stats but in any case he is much more than just an out and out scorer. He could quite easily play at midfield and still be Armaghs best player and I'm not sure you could say that about too many top class scoring forwards around the country. He is as important to Armagh as Michael Murphy was to Donegal in his prime.     

Armagh18

Watch the lad. Only player in Ireland remotely close to Clifford. Most in Armagh reckon he'll go down as the best player we've ever had.

nrico2006

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 08, 2022, 10:08:11 AM

Watch the lad. Only player in Ireland remotely close to Clifford. Most in Armagh reckon he'll go down as the best player we've ever had.

I have watched him and he is very good, just think that on what he has done so far he is over-rated and statements like yours there further add to that belief.  I was just interested to see his scoring stats from play as I don't think he contributes enough to the score board.  I would take the current version of Michael Murphy over him too and wouldn't have him as second best player in the country.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

marty34

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 08, 2022, 10:16:22 AM

I have watched him and he is very good, just think that on what he has done so far he is over-rated and statements like yours there further add to that belief.  I was just interested to see his scoring stats from play as I don't think he contributes enough to the score board.  I would take the current version of Michael Murphy over him too and wouldn't have him as second best player in the country.

Is he the older O'Neill?

Is the other lad good?

clubman21

Quote from: marty34 on April 08, 2022, 10:22:07 AM

WOW
Is he the older O'Neill?

Is the other lad good?
Other lad is pretty handy yeah. And Rian is younger

Armagh18

Fair enough we all have our own opinions. For me the lad can do it all, play inside and take scores off both feet, deadly from 45's and free kicks. As someone else has said he can come and play in midfield and still be our best player.

Could go on and on but don't want to sound like a one man fan club!

marty34

Quote from: clubman21 on April 08, 2022, 10:23:28 AM

WOW
Is he the older O'Neill?

Is the other lad good?

Is the older lad making the team also?

Armagh18

WOW
Is he the older O'Neill?

Is the other lad good?
Oisin's a very good lad as well but had awful injury trouble this past while. Meant to be 2 lads younger than Rian again as good or better!

Armagh18

Quote from: marty34 on April 08, 2022, 10:35:43 AM

WOW
Is he the older O'Neill?

Is the other lad good?

Is the older lad making the team also?
Would be nailed on only for injuries.