Liam McHale
Kenneth Mortimer
Ciaran McDonald
Kevin McStay
James Nallen
Dermot Flannagan
Padraig Brogan

stephenite

Eveyone else is running a poll so why not us. I may have left some glaring omissions in the options so feel free to name others who you feel should be on the list

Bod Mor

Has to be the bullet. The man could jump higher than Sergei Bubka for feck sake.
Who can forget his rambo impression against Tyrone in '89.
Flogging overseas apartments nowadays along with Rui Costa.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

lynchbhoy

mayo51

for me it has to be c,mcd. as none else has been able to dominate games like he can.dermott flanagan would be my second choice as he was a tremendous corner back in his prime and a great distributior of the ball

dodo

I'd have to go for Kenneth Mortimer. Solidly consistent at corner back over good period of time. Don't recall him ever playing badly there.
His time at centre forward is best not talked about. Finished with county at the right time too as legs were gone at a relatively young age. He'd probably be close to corner back on team of the 90s.

James Nallen has been a great servant to Mayo football. Always remember him breaking at pace with the ball out of defence. Hope he won't rue staying on for too long. Have faith in O'Mahoney handling this correctly.

At the moment as I write McDonald has 6 out of ten votes. I'd disagree with this. Obviously a hugely talented footballer, but has he been the best player for Mayo since 1980 ? Even this year he had only one good game for Mayo and in that he was outstanding against Dublin. He flitted in and out of the Laois games and was terrible against Leitrim (where we were nearly caught) and had a nightmare second half AIF. I do remember the 2-3 he scored against Galway in 1998(?) and other big games like Roscommon 2001 but this is counterbalanced with 1997 AIF.

I'd have an honourable mention for the likes of TJ Kilgannon who toiled for many years with Mayo and did a lot of the unglorious hard work that his fellow players appreciated. Himself and The Bullet worked very well together. Martin Carney was a good corner man at both ends of the field, playing for a long time too.

Maybe I'm getting caught up in the Mr Consistent side of things and not necessarily the most talented. Ah feck it, I'll go to sleep.  :-\

mayo51

would agree that ken mortjmer was an excellent but it was only for 2 years  96and 97.you must not have seen many mayo games this year to say mcd had only one good game.he had an excellent 2ind half against leitrim,was m.o.m v galway,and had a good game v laois in the replay,but we are getting away from the topic as we are talking about mayos best player since 1980 and not over one season

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: mayo51 on November 22, 2006, 12:30:46 AM
for me it has to be c,mcd. as none else has been able to dominate games like he can.dermott flanagan would be my second choice as he was a tremendous corner back in his prime and a great distributior of the ball

Flanagan had a few good days for Mayo but usually went off injured when opponents like Tony McManus were getting the better of him. As backs, the likes of Nallen, Mortimer (for a brief period) and Cahill would be way ahead of him.

Barney

Jimmy Nallen. A class act, did the job quietly most of the time. At his best he was flawless for us.

Now if you are talking most talented you would say McDonald. The last three years have been his best in a Mayo jersey. Before that his performances were patchy.

OkeyDoke

I would have to go with James Nallen, the most consistent player of that era. He would be closely followed by Liam Mc, Dermot Flanaghan and Ken Mortimer. Ciaran Mc has not been consistently good in my opinion, apart from 2004.
The poll is prob a bit too broad, should have been from 1990 perhaps., then again it would still consist of most of the same players
A few other playrs that deserve mentions - J Horan, TJ Kilgallon,D Heaney, K Cahill, D Brady

GaillimhIarthair

From this side of the fence I would have to say the top 3 in order would probably be Nallen, McHale & K Mortimer. 

I'm surprised the likes of Jimmy Burke, Tony Morley, Jarlath Jennings, Greg Maher etc have failed to be mentioned so far  ;)

rosnarun

most talented mayo player I've seen in that time  would have to be Mark Butler but it wasn't to be for him, the only one on the list in touching distance is O course CmcD with Flanaghan number 2. another missing player is J Maughan himself ,  peter burke and again for Raw talent it would be hard to beat K Mcstay a delight to watch
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Best or most talented? Big difference.
The best player is the one who contributes most to the team over the span of their career surely. In that case, I think it's hard to look past Jimmy Nallen.
For pure talent, C McD is a legend and is without doubt the most talented Mayo player I have ever watched.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

AbbeySider

I think James Horan deserves to be on the poll for sheer raw talent and ability.
He was a dream to watch for Mayo. He was such an intellegent player and is very powerful.

and still has a lot left to offer his club.

Do people think he deserves to be there instead of maybe McStay ?

Mayo4Sam

Need i even say who i voted for
More talented than best i'll give u but for that goal in '85, pure legend
(ANd of course that monster from the sideline in '96 ;D)
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Great Leap Forward

Has to be Willie Joe. The finest fielder I ever seen.

He was also a great talking point among hay bailers!