NFL Division 1 2022

Started by Blowitupref, January 15, 2022, 08:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Average Score

Raffertys kickouts are atrocious, Blaine is an accomplished shot stopper, is that not a key part of goal keeping? Why Rafferty has a fan club on here is beyond me he has had 2 bad games and one average, but stick with him. At one stage he was in the halfway line whilst the best forward in the country was on his 21, at least Geezer told him to get back.

KickPass

If the game starts slipping away from them expect Armagh to go full-on shithousery.

Average Score

Quote from: KickPass on March 20, 2022, 05:57:24 PM
If the game stops slipping away from them exoect Armagh to go full-on shithousery.

On the drink early today.

KickPass

Quote from: Average Score on March 20, 2022, 05:58:31 PM
If the game starts slipping away from them expect Armagh to go full-on shithousery.

Good for you. Half the Athletic grounds along with you as well I'd imagine?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

David McKeown

Quote from: Average Score on March 20, 2022, 05:54:10 PM
Raffertys kickouts are atrocious, Blaine is an accomplished shot stopper, is that not a key part of goal keeping? Why Rafferty has a fan club on here is beyond me he has had 2 bad games and one average, but stick with him. At one stage he was in the halfway line whilst the best forward in the country was on his 21, at least Geezer told him to get back.

Whilst my preference would be for Hughes accomplished shot stopping is no longer a pre requisite for good goal keepers. Being comfortable under the high ball, having a presence and being able to build attacks are far more important. Rafferty has basically conceded every shot against him. That's one in three games. I don't though think he kick outs are any better than Hughes. I do though feel that Armagh have much bigger problems with their kick outs than the accuracy or otherwise of their keeper. They seem to really struggle when teams push up and I think that needs worked on.

As for Rafferty playing as a sweeper keeper it can have its advantages. Rafferty broke a ball from the opposition kick out at one stage and whilst Kerry still recovered the ball that breaking gave Armagh time to funnel back. Had he been stuck on his line I think Kerry would have created a much better opportunity than they did from the passage of play.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Solo_run

Quote from: yellowcard on March 20, 2022, 05:53:53 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on March 20, 2022, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on March 20, 2022, 05:26:57 PM
If only had a highly capable keeper on the bench... Oh wait.

Hall Rowland OHanlon anonymous.. Why does geezer insist on starting them? Murnin was anonymous today too.

Questions have to be asked about the referee too? 2/3 times he gave kerry a mark, when the ball wasnt secured.. And for that Grugan call at the end? shambles.

We don't that is the problem. 

Hughes lack confidence in his kick-outs and Rafferty made a very silly mistake by turning his back to the best forward in Ireland. The goal Murphy scored against Donegal would make me glad Rafferty is in goal as he would come out and challenge for it. His kick-outs are better than Hughes.

Based on what I've seen (and admittedly it's only 3 matches) Raffertys kick outs are no better than Hughes imo. He does have more presence in the goals but made a few rash decisions as well and got away with it once but paid the price for the goal when he was in no man's land.

Midfield didn't help him today as both were poor but unless there is a plan to go long (and playing a small player like Hall wing half forward doesn't help) then I really don't see the benefit in playing him before Hughes who is an actual goalkeeper.

If I had to pick out a strength that Blaine Hughes has, I honestly can't think of one. He learns from his mistakes but he does not have an redeeming features as a GK. His kick outs brings pressure on to himself, that zaps his confidence and his kick outs are short.  He never really had to stop any shots in the league because the defence were doing their job.

Rafferty is a risky option with the way they allow him to play. He motors up the field and there have been occasions in the past two games where Armagh players have been or almost lost the ball and he doesn't know what to do. He doesn't have the instincts to play in goal as shown earlier when he turned his back against Clifford. However, he will challenge high dropping balls and he went through a Kerry player to get to one earlier. If our defence holds out the way it has (with the exception of today) teams only have one route to goal and that is with high balls. I would take Rafferty over Hughes if that is the case.

David McKeown

The league table is interesting. Kerry are in the final and Dublin and Monaghan can't make it. Armagh could lose their last game and make the final or win it and not. In theory Kildare, Donegal and Tyrone could all either make the final, remain in the division or be relegated depending on result. Dublin and Monaghan could win and go down or draw and be safe depending on other results (some extreme results maybe needed for the draw scenario to see both stay safe). Mayo make the final with a win, have a good chance with a draw and have a tiny chance of making it with a defeat. Very exciting last day coming up
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Blowitupref

Last round of fixtures

Mayo v Kildare in Carrick on Shannon
Monaghan v Dublin in Clones
Kerry v Tyrone in Killarney
Donegal v Armagh in Letterkenny

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

5times5times

Tyrone beat Kerry
Kildare beat Mayo
Donegal beat Armagh

Means Armagh Mayo Tyrone Kildare & Donegal on 7 points....

tonto1888

Quote from: Average Score on March 20, 2022, 05:58:31 PM
If the game stops slipping away from them exoect Armagh to go full-on shithousery.

You spelt Tyrone wrong

Captain Obvious

The boy genius David Clifford the difference in the athletic grounds and he wasn't named on the 26.  With one game to play it's been a good league campaign for Armagh and probably the best preparation for the championship for many years.

clarshack

If we lose in Killarney we are down. A draw would probably be enough but easier said than done as Kerry certainly won't be doing us any favours.

SouthDublinBro

Scoreline flattered Donegal. Without Murphy they would be division 2 regulars.

Cunny Funt

Should be a great final weekend with a few teams looking to finish 2nd and play Kerry in the final and relegated going down to the wire. The league remains the best format the GAA have.