Greatest Antrim Footballer

Started by Sky Blue, November 21, 2006, 09:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the greatest Antrim Footballer ever.

Kevin Armstrong
10 (20%)
Kevin McGrourty
7 (14%)
Jimmy Keavney
11 (22%)
Gerard Adams
4 (8%)
Aiden Hamill
0 (0%)
Andy Mccallion
3 (6%)
None of the above
15 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 47

milltown row

great player and was playing only a few years back for their seconds

the teams from the 50's and the earlier teams  were the ones that really made the difference for Antrim.

antrim have won ten Ulster titles. ten more than Fermanagh 5 more than donegal and 3 more than Derry and one less than Tyrone. great players from those winning teams should be applauded. while not taking away from current or recent past players. they don't come close to those players that actually won things

Ulster Senior Football Championship: (10)
1900, 1901, 1908, 1909, 1910, 1911, 1912, 1913, 1946, 1951 thats a great team

glens abu

Antrim had many great players over the years,Kevin Armstrong, Paddy OHara, Sean Gibson,from many years back,then players like Alex McQuillan.Andy McCallion.Mickey Darragh,John Burns,and more resent Kevin Madden and Sean Kelly to name a few,on the subject of St.Endas,you had Eamon Prenter,Danny Burns was in the All-Ireland winning u-21 team of 69[who knows what that team might have achieved if it was not for the onset of the troubles,and the best player imo to play for St.Endas John Burns represnted the county and Ulster over many years while playing 3 div football,also as a 19 year old got rave reviews for his marking of the great Sean O Neill when Antrim played Down.

saffron sam2

Anyone who mentions Eamon Prenter as a great footballer is not to be taken seriously.

Good lad, dedicated to Antrim football, yes. A good footballer, no.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Spirit of 94

Mickey Darragh, Andy McCallion, Eamon Prenter.......all great footballers.

glens abu

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 27, 2009, 12:26:56 PM
Anyone who mentions Eamon Prenter as a great footballer is not to be taken seriously.

do you not think he was even a good footballer Sam

Gold

Quote from: Diet Coke on April 25, 2009, 12:02:46 PM
Would Stevie Mulvenna be the only Antrim player with an All Ireland Senior medal?  ;)Wasn't he on the Derry panel when they won Sam? Prenter was a great player, and so was Paul McErlean and the Donnelly's...Fergie and Aiden, not forgetting Donagh Finnegan.

basketballers..as was Sean McGourty and as is current county player James Loughrey
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

saffron sam2

Quote from: glens abu on April 27, 2009, 01:42:10 PM

No, I don't. He does an immense amount of work behind the scenes, but I was never impressed with him on the pitch. His name wouldn't even enter the radar if I was picking a best Antrim team from the last 25 years, never mind the best Antrim player ever.

glens abu

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 27, 2009, 01:48:42 PM
Quote from: glens abu on April 27, 2009, 01:42:10 PM

No, I don't. He does an immense amount of work behind the scenes, but I was never impressed with him on the pitch. His name wouldn't even enter the radar if I was picking a best Antrim team from the last 25 years, never mind the best Antrim player ever.

I wasnt talking about him in that bracket either I was talking about the St.Endas players who played for the county,sorry for the misunderstanding,but I did think he was a good player.

saffron sam2

Fair enough. Good enough for St. Enda's, but not a good inter-coutny player.

glens abu

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 27, 2009, 01:58:17 PM
Fair enough. Good enough for St. Enda's, but not a good inter-coutny player.

what about the rest of the list how do you rate them.

rrhf

The greatest Antrim player, as in their most involved or hardworking player throughout has to be their ace shotstopper "charlie" mc greevy no other man has handled as much ball for the cause.   

Doogie Browser

Aidy Morris, Newtownstewart's finest!

glens abu

Quote from: rrhf on April 27, 2009, 02:22:51 PM
The greatest Antrim player, as in their most involved or hardworking player throughout has to be their ace shotstopper "charlie" mc greevy no other man has handled as much ball for the cause.   

yeah has been very good over the years,but wasnt too hot on Sat.

saffron sam2

An unfortunate turn of phrase for a Tyronie to introduce into the thread.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 27, 2009, 03:13:39 PM

An unfortunate turn of phrase for a Tyronie to introduce into the thread.

A cracker SS2 :D :D :D :D :D :D lol