Greatest Antrim Footballer

Started by Sky Blue, November 21, 2006, 09:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who was the greatest Antrim Footballer ever.

Kevin Armstrong
10 (20%)
Kevin McGrourty
7 (14%)
Jimmy Keavney
11 (22%)
Gerard Adams
4 (8%)
Aiden Hamill
0 (0%)
Andy Mccallion
3 (6%)
None of the above
15 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 47

milltown row

Antrim players still cant keep their jerseys ;)

Hoopeddefender

'I don't want an apology, I want a locked back door.'

fitzroyalty

NAG

Whats the problem with Antrim Hoopededefender?

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 24, 2009, 12:17:29 PM
There have been plenty of great footballers from Antrim, but, to the best of my knowledge, the list does not include either Jimmy Keaveney or, for that matter, Spike Ferguson. Keaveney, according to his Wikipedia entry, was not surprisingly born in Dublin. At least one of his parents may have been a northerner, but I think the connection was towards Castlewellan. Ferguson is from Dondonald, which is also in Co  Down.

Pretty sure Keaveney's da was a Belfastie, although Jimmy is a born Dub.

clootfromthe21

Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 24, 2009, 01:49:08 PM
I've also turned out for Ballinderry, Cargin and hurled for Loughiel on occassion.

Shame you can't spell the name of the team you hurled for!

irunthev

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 24, 2009, 01:45:49 PM
Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 24, 2009, 01:28:50 PM
St Endas visited Coalisland - dump near where I live about 10 years ago - and the locals burnt their bus with all their gear on it, says a lot about people from Coalisland. They have had a hard ride from Loyalists/British security forces over the years I am lead to believe but I doubt an Antrim Division three team has ever produced a genuinely decent player or a secondary school in Antrim for that matter. Where was he at St marys? Quaking in my boots!!! hahahaha
endas would be div 2 son, as for you superstar who's ur club and what genuine decent players have they produced!?

I maybe wrong on this but I think it was St Malachys he went to. Would have been a very decent basketball player too and I believe he also had trials at Aston Villa and Newcastle

Hoopeddefender

Never heard of St Malachys Belfast must be a dump. Hahhahaha Basketball
'I don't want an apology, I want a locked back door.'

Gold

Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 24, 2009, 04:32:21 PM

Ever heard of Kieran Donaghy or Liam McHale?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

saffron sam2

Quote from: Gold on April 24, 2009, 04:47:37 PM
Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 24, 2009, 04:32:21 PM

Ever heard of Kieran Donaghy or Liam McHale?

Or former Ireland schoolboy basketball international Matt McGleenan?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Hoopeddefender on April 24, 2009, 01:50:53 PM
Antrim hahahahah
St Endas hahahaha
Antrim schools footbal hahahaha

st.marys cbs?
The Boys in Red and Black are back

brokencrossbar1

Don't feed the troll lads!

Plenty of lads played basketball and football.  I also think Sherlock was a schoolboy irish international basketballer.  Great cross over skills.

Obviously Antrim haven't been blessed with successful footballers but by all accounts Armstrong and McCallion were up there with the best of the players of their generations so I would say they would probably be the top along with Shinny McQuillan ;)

longrunsthefox

Quote from: irunthev on April 24, 2009, 02:04:59 PM
Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 24, 2009, 12:41:24 PM
Prenter was a fine player who was part of an excellent Ulster minor winning side in 1982, not 1983. It was arguably the best team Antrim have produced at any level in  the last 30 years.

Apologies to the class of '82. I heard that the team weren't even allowed to keep their jerseys after the AI semi against Kerry. How times have changed.

the Antrim goalie in the senior football championship wore a Dublin jersey a few yaers ago and the backs and forawrds had different types of jerseys on. Said it all about the shambles of Antrim football.

Diet Coke

Would Stevie Mulvenna be the only Antrim player with an All Ireland Senior medal?  ;)Wasn't he on the Derry panel when they won Sam? Prenter was a great player, and so was Paul McErlean and the Donnelly's...Fergie and Aiden, not forgetting Donagh Finnegan.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Drumanee 1

dont know if you antrim men would agree but i would have thought alex mcquillan from glenravel would have been one of antrims best ever players.