Cheeky arrogant Dubs at it again

Started by stephenite, May 29, 2007, 04:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tayto

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 29, 2007, 01:33:48 PM
Tell us why tayto, I'd genuinely like to know.

It's a bit like me calling longford the slashers.
It's just wrong.
wrong wrong wrong.
Besides as has been mentioned, we can barely field one decent team.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 29, 2007, 01:14:47 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2007, 01:11:22 PM
QuoteSure , will you be giving this new club 5 + million for a pitch?

Correct me if I'm wrong but do Ballinter St Johns not play on Council grounds?
think you are right, but they finished their big impressive (expensive) clubhouse a year or two ago.

Drove past that last week, looks like a great setup.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Billys Boots

Hey, we're the Larries now!

Is the Dublin team's problem not that the pick is only from Senior Clubs, and that the county championship is dominated by a few clubs?  Isn't it the case that an excellent player that plays for a small Junior or Intermediate Club will not ever get a chance at county level.  Structures like this will ensure that 'new' clubs aren't encouraged to set-up.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

tayto

not everyone is from Senior clubs but a good player at a small club is less likely to get his chance at underage and then onto senior alright.

I'm all on for the foundation of new clubs, sher just look at castleknock, only 6 or 7 years old and already have 800 members and won this years hurling feile, just goes to show you what can be done. Should be a new club in adamstown, I think the GAA needs a strategy for new club creation in Dublin to get better penetratio in certain areas, as some of the super clubs have far too big a cachement area, but that's got little or nothing to do with spliting the county side.

ildanach

tayto,

as an aside, do you still have that league table that you did up on the old site?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

CiKe

In relation to abuse from crowds at a GAA match certainly the worst I can remember was Cork v Offally in the '99 semi-final. God awful day but a fantastic match as I recall. The weather didn't take away from the day at all but the abuse the Cork boys on the Hill gave Johnny Dooley for a full 70 minutes was totally uncalled for and certainly left me a bit disillusioned. Not talking about a few drunks, virtually all of them. Haven't cheered for Cork in a game since.

Haven't been on the Hill for a Dublin game in a long time, I hope there isn't the same problem on a persistent basis

Billys Boots

Quotethat's got little or nothing to do with spliting the county side

On a representative basis it has; how do you motivate young fellahs to go to the ultimate level, when you (and they) know in your heart and soul that the county selectors will never come to look at them.  And when have you last seen a Dublin team with a bit of spirit about them - they're representing too large a region, it's meaningless to them, compared to the lads playing for Leitrim or Monaghan. 

INDIANA

Isn't it the case that an excellent player that plays for a small Junior or Intermediate Club will not ever get a chance at county level. "

brian cullen plays for  a division 3 club- so not sure your argument holds through-they do look elsewhere(but they have to be good enough). a solution would be divisional teams which would give these players exposure and maybe bring them up a level- have to be honest i would know the strengths of virtually every intermediate team in dublin and i can't think of one player who would add to the current panel. but maybe similar to the hurling teams in dublin divisional teams should be introduced.

"when have you last seen a Dublin team with a bit of spirit about them - they're representing too large a region, it's meaningless to them, compared to the lads playing for Leitrim or Monaghan.  "

that is a bullshit argument that doesn't merit  aresponse - i could label the same thing against some of the counties beaten in recent weeks- why would you give up life in your 20's if you didn't give a shite about playing for your county.

Stagmeister

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2007, 01:11:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but do Ballinter St Johns not play on Council grounds?

Yeah they play their home matches in Marley Park

The demand just isn't their for new clubs in South Dublin...take a place like dundrum for example, its population has increased dramatically over the last ten years but it still has no GAA club and there is no demand for one either. The closest club to Dundrum is Ballinteer St. Johns. If there was any interest in GAA in Dundrum St. Johns would be getting massive numbers of players joining the club from dundrum, however I've been training with St. Johns for the last couple of years and they usually get about 25 down for a session which is good numbers, but you'd want to be getting at least twice that before you'd even start thinking there was any need for a new club in the area.

magpie seanie

If you build it they will come.

I agree with BB's here. I'd say its very possible for a lad to play football with a club from 10 to 30 and never have anyone from his club play for the county. I think having the opportunity of playing for the county or even having "your own guy" on the county team cannot be underestimated. My club had no-one playing for the county for a good while until the mid 90's and the effect that it has had on the young people round our area is staggering.

tayto

Billy, well if your're exceptional they'll come to look at you, I suppose it's true that the county side is miles off for only the very tiny top percentage of players in Dublin but there's more players in cork for example, and there's no talk of splitting Cork, the only reason people want to split Dublin is to generate money.

I couldnt agree less with the idea that it means less to a dublin player to represent his county then a player from a county with a smaller population. Dublin means the world to us Dubs, the flack we get on threads like this just reinforces that. There are plenty of comitted lads on that Dublin panel, it's not for effort or lack of desire that we have fallen short, lack of leaders? natural forwards? just that bit of extra quality? more likely. At the same time we're not langishing down in Division Four in both codes either. You hjave to remember GAA in Dublin is not the number one sport. Citywide soccer is way bigger and Rugby is huge in south Dublin, althought he GAA is thriving like never before in these areas.

tayto

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 29, 2007, 02:24:18 PM
If you build it they will come.

I agree with BB's here. I'd say its very possible for a lad to play football with a club from 10 to 30 and never have anyone from his club play for the county. I think having the opportunity of playing for the county or even having "your own guy" on the county team cannot be underestimated. My club had no-one playing for the county for a good while until the mid 90's and the effect that it has had on the young people round our area is staggering.

I agree, if you've a club around the corner it's far more likely to pull in parents and players and the like.

Sure it's a boost of a club has a county player. in Dublin you do have a lot more thet lads transfering then in other counties, i think, to play senior football or whatever, also a lot of county players from elsewhere playing senior football blocking Dubs who've come through the ranks, there's lots of things not ideal about the setup in Dublin as regards the county teams but I dont think splitting the county is an answer to any of them.

Gnevin

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 29, 2007, 02:04:03 PM
Quotethat's got little or nothing to do with spliting the county side

On a representative basis it has; how do you motivate young fellahs to go to the ultimate level, when you (and they) know in your heart and soul that the county selectors will never come to look at them.  And when have you last seen a Dublin team with a bit of spirit about them - they're representing too large a region, it's meaningless to them, compared to the lads playing for Leitrim or Monaghan. 
Meaningless so they train 5 days a week for the laugh?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Romeo

Quote from: stephenite on May 29, 2007, 04:09:54 AM

"It's a huge promotional opportunity for us to have Wicklow and Louth children in Croke Park to see their heroes. We're about fair play, we're not about money," said O'Neill, a candidate for next year's GAA presidency.

Does he mean the Wicklow and Louth kids' heroes are the Dubs?????

Billys Boots

I said meaningless, compared to Leitrim and Monaghan, you're quoting me out of context.  But I agree that meaningless is too strong a word - I should have said that it is probably not be as big a deal for them. What I meant was that the lads in the smaller counties know a huge proportion of the people in the crowd cheering for them, they know the people who wish them well on the street, and as Seanie says, they have a huge responsibility to their club and their parish (the future of their own clubs can rest on their shoulders).