Eating Habits

Started by Maroon Manc, January 26, 2021, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 29, 2021, 08:44:42 PM
How many of ye grow your own veg?

Great way to eat healthier

Hadn't done so for a few years, but started again last spring. Varying degrees of success: tomatoes, carrots, sweet corn, onions, scallions, peppers. Plan to do similar again this year.

When you eat your own food that you've grown, you appreciate it more because it does take time and effort and you're less likely to waste them because you've put that effort in. But you're more likely to try new foods as well. A packet of seeds for a quid, bung them in the ground and see how they go. I've done that with quite a few veg. I didn't really like cucumbers or scallions until I grew my own. Now I love them.

restorepride

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2021, 11:39:13 AM
Quote from: Taylor on January 28, 2021, 11:29:52 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2021, 10:42:32 AM
People will shop amazon as they are lazy and prefer to get things cheaper...

No one can deny the handiness of online shopping, though our local butchers have seen a huge upturn in business, they have developed also and they make a lot of fresh stuff made up the night before.

Why wouldnt someone use Amazon?
Many shops are closed so you cant get some of the things local - in addition to prices being lower with them.
If local shops are open then they need to be competitive.

Reminds me a bit of the push for staycations last year - Irish companies ripped the arse out of it by charging extortionate prices

Butchers is a no brainer considering the difference in quality between them and the large corporate brands

It think its buying from Amazon, after or before lockdown is the question being asked, I noticed and mentioned on here during the first lockdown, some local shops took the piss out of their prices, there was a hike in prices, even the local Spar's and the like lifted their, Iceland and Lidil kept things the same.

My butchers worked very hard to keep their names out there and provided a delivery service also. As for butchers and quality, its very hard for butchers to compete with the big stores, buying baulk and having the facilities to freeze larger amounts will bring the price down for them. So butchers have to pay a wee bit more on quality meat.

A local Butcher struggles, my brother owned a butchers for a few years, on a busy road in Belfast many years ago, the profit margins were slim to nothing, spending an extra 5 going local will save you the hassle driving to a store, parking and walking around Stresco's!
Tuigim anois.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: BennyCake on January 29, 2021, 10:05:36 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 29, 2021, 08:44:42 PM
How many of ye grow your own veg?

Great way to eat healthier

Hadn't done so for a few years, but started again last spring. Varying degrees of success: tomatoes, carrots, sweet corn, onions, scallions, peppers. Plan to do similar again this year.

When you eat your own food that you've grown, you appreciate it more because it does take time and effort and you're less likely to waste them because you've put that effort in. But you're more likely to try new foods as well. A packet of seeds for a quid, bung them in the ground and see how they go. I've done that with quite a few veg. I didn't really like cucumbers or scallions until I grew my own. Now I love them.
Nothing better than going to the garden and getting
Spuds
Lettuce
Oriental leaves
Onions
Tomatoes can take a lot of work and you need a sunny warm greenhouse
Pumpkins are great for kids carving making soup for a few weeks

We got a €75 poly tunnel 3 years ago and it has been great for growing stuff

laoislad

Quote from: square_ball on January 29, 2021, 09:44:52 PM
Quote from: Don Johnson on January 29, 2021, 11:58:13 AM
Quote from: square_ball on January 27, 2021, 01:20:11 PM
We would generally eat well during the week but Christ have i a sweet tooth. The kids sweet cupboard gets raided pretty often and biscuits are my downfall. We are getting fed up with the same dinners week in week out so have taken up those Hello Fresh offers I've seen advertised so looking forward to trying those this weekend. Anyone else used them? I believe they are having problems with delivery to here due to Brexit.

I've got Hello Fresh meal a few times, normally only when they send me a 40 or 50% discount. The food is nice and definitely makes you try new things but the portions aren't great to be honest. Maybe I'm just a greedy bastard.

We had them delivered yesterday with no issues thankfully. Made them last night and tonight. Decent enough actually and good to be cooking something different from the usual dinners. Got it on a trial week for a tenner so will probably cancel and get the wife to take out a new subscription. I see what your saying about portions but they do the job for the January diet.
How does this work? You still have to cook the food yourself? Do you get a daily delivery or food for the full week?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

square_ball

Yeah you still have to do the cooking. Everything comes in the box for the week - meat, veg and different herbs/spices/sauces. You select on the website how many meals per week and for how many people. It was £10 for the first week and then 40% off for the next two weeks I think. It's around £30 normally for 2 people and 3 meals per week so it would work out expensive if it was outside the trial period. Still decent to use for a change.

Milltown Row2

Instead of a sober October I'm doing it in September! shorter month and all that, but we've also started this Keto diet, 7 days in, and while I crave all the food that is not allowed its been grand, well because she wants to do it I'm happy enough to let her cook away ;D

Its a bit like the atkins diet, no carbs or sugar.  Missing chocolate and potatoes and pasta and rice and all the stuff that you take for granted, but its working, well working on me, I wouldn't have much to lose, 4 pounds at a push but I'm not sure if its the diet or just staying off the drink lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2021, 10:55:25 AM
Instead of a sober October I'm doing it in September! shorter month and all that, but we've also started this Keto diet, 7 days in, and while I crave all the food that is not allowed its been grand, well because she wants to do it I'm happy enough to let her cook away ;D

Its a bit like the atkins diet, no carbs or sugar.  Missing chocolate and potatoes and pasta and rice and all the stuff that you take for granted, but its working, well working on me, I wouldn't have much to lose, 4 pounds at a push but I'm not sure if its the diet or just staying off the drink lol
Stick at it MR you are doing yourself and us all a big favour, you'll be able to cover parts of the pitch you haven't been to in a good few years with all this extra energy you have  ;D. Myself and the mrs have been doing it for over a year now. Ive lost over 10kgs and no longer suffer from the aches and pains that I used to accept as part of getting older. I try to avoid the Keto label as its a bit cultish and stick with low carb. I totally avoid bread/flour/porridge/cereals etc and seed oils, very little starchy veg and fruit limited to berries the odd time. Very rarely drink beer and certainly no Guinness but have made up for it with the red wine. I could safely say I am my local butcher's best customer. If you fancy getting in to the weeds with it I recommend a couple of books by Mike Davis MD, "Wheat Belly" and "Undoctored".

JoG2

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 12:10:48 PM

Stick at it MR you are doing yourself and us all a big favour, you'll be able to cover parts of the pitch you haven't been to in a good few years with all this extra energy you have  ;D. Myself and the mrs have been doing it for over a year now. Ive lost over 10kgs and no longer suffer from the aches and pains that I used to accept as part of getting older. I try to avoid the Keto label as its a bit cultish and stick with low carb. I totally avoid bread/flour/porridge/cereals etc and seed oils, very little starchy veg and fruit limited to berries the odd time. Very rarely drink beer and certainly no Guinness but have made up for it with the red wine. I could safely say I am my local butcher's best customer. If you fancy getting in to the weeds with it I recommend a couple of books by Mike Davis MD, "Wheat Belly" and "Undoctored".

Last Man, what would a typical breakfast be?

thebigfella

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 12:10:48 PM

Pretty much similar myself on the food groups, maybe more paleo diet. Essentially I'm gluten free for 6 days a week and then have my cheat day; although I wouldn't buying gluten free soy sauce over normal for example. Been at it for a 2/3 years now but cutting back on sugar makes a massive difference too. Generally I can keep the body fat at around 12-15% depending on how hard I train without being too ridged on food.

Last Man

Might just have a coffee with double cream/ couple of eggs with butter and salt or Natural yogurt with a few berries but more often than not I don't bother with anything till lunch at 12.30. Carbs really do drive the hunger! I go to the gym at 6.30 with nothing more than a pint of water in me. No issues at all.

JoG2

Thanks. Bread is tough one to cut back on, never mind give up totally.

Last Man

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 12:50:28 PM
Might just have a coffee with double cream/ couple of eggs with butter and salt or Natural yogurt with a few berries but more often than not I don't bother with anything till lunch at 12.30. Carbs really do drive the hunger! I go to the gym at 6.30 with nothing more than a pint of water in me. No issues at all.
When you actually read into the science of what's in cereals and their bad effects on overall health it's easier to walk away from them. I have close mates who look at me as if I'm nuts but in the last year alone are looking at BMI going the wrong way,fatty liver problems, pre and full blown diabetes, high blood pressure etc etc. And are happy to just take another tablet rather than change diet and lifestyle.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 12:50:28 PM

Doent sound the healthiest.

Double cream and salt?

Last Man

Quote from: JoG2 on September 08, 2021, 12:51:48 PM
Thanks. Bread is tough one to cut back on, never mind give up totally.
Of course, because it acts like a drug on your reward centres in the brain.. the whole story about healthy whole grains is horseshit as well. Give it a go for 2 weeks. Even in that short time you will lose some weight and feel better.

JoG2

I will you know.. Thanks