Eating Habits

Started by Maroon Manc, January 26, 2021, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 01:04:26 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on September 08, 2021, 12:51:48 PM
Thanks. Bread is tough one to cut back on, never mind give up totally.
Of course, because it acts like a drug on your reward centres in the brain.. the whole story about healthy whole grains is horseshit as well. Give it a go for 2 weeks. Even in that short time you will lose some weight and feel better.

You need to read up on it lad not just buy the standard NHS advice. Trust me we've been sold a pup.

J70

Not making specific recommendations, as I'm sure there are a few choices out there when it comes to apps, but I've been using the Noom app the past few months. Tracks weight, calorie intake and exercise, giving you a recommended daily intake depending on how quickly you want to lose it and, on a daily basis, how much exercise you do. They categorize the food as well, trying to limit how much less healthy stuff you eat, but the main thing is that you cut the calories. They've other motivational stuff as well as part of the package, but I've little use for that stuff personally, although others might. Main thing for me was having a target/limit in terms of what I ate.

Worked well for me, and I didn't have to starve or completely avoid certain food types. Got 20 lbs off fairly handily over a ten week period just by being a bit disciplined in watching the calories and I'm back within healthy BMI range. I already cycle to work and so on, so that part wasn't an issue.

Last Man

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on September 08, 2021, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 12:50:28 PM
Might just have a coffee with double cream/ couple of eggs with butter and salt or Natural yogurt with a few berries but more often than not I don't bother with anything till lunch at 12.30. Carbs really do drive the hunger! I go to the gym at 6.30 with nothing more than a pint of water in me. No issues at all.

Doent sound the healthiest.

Double cream and salt?

And also delicious 😋. Have a look at those books and loads of other on line resources, you'll be glad you did.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I havent put on a single pound in 5 years.

Porridge/banana and coffee Monday-Friday breakfast
Lunch- Leftovers(spag bol, spuds, meat, veg) plus yogurt
3 o clock bar of chocolate

6 dinner(as above)

10 -toast and butter

1 take away on Friday

moderate exercise-dont sit down much

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 01:10:55 PM
Might just have a coffee with double cream/ couple of eggs with butter and salt or Natural yogurt with a few berries but more often than not I don't bother with anything till lunch at 12.30. Carbs really do drive the hunger! I go to the gym at 6.30 with nothing more than a pint of water in me. No issues at all.

Double cream and salt?

And also delicious 😋. Have a look at those books and loads of other on line resources, you'll be glad you did.

does sound nice tbh

Last Man

Quote from: J70 on September 08, 2021, 01:10:40 PM
Not making specific recommendations, as I'm sure there are a few choices out there when it comes to apps, but I've been using the Noom app the past few months. Tracks weight, calorie intake and exercise, giving you a recommended daily intake depending on how quickly you want to lose it and, on a daily basis, how much exercise you do. They categorize the food as well, trying to limit how much less healthy stuff you eat, but the main thing is that you cut the calories. They've other motivational stuff as well as part of the package, but I've little use for that stuff personally, although others might. Main thing for me was having a target/limit in terms of what I ate.

Worked well for me, and I didn't have to starve or completely avoid certain food types. Got 20 lbs off fairly handily over a ten week period just by being a bit disciplined in watching the calories and I'm back within healthy BMI range. I already cycle to work and so on, so that part wasn't an issue.

It's brilliant that it worked for you but you need to be careful not to regress and undo that effort. I never count calories and eat plenty of saturated fat. I even lost 95% of my weight when the gym was closed. You just can't out run a bad diet but exercise is important to maintain muscle mass which helps with insulin sensitivity.
I need to log off and get some work done!!!

Milltown Row2

Double cream and salt?

That's the bit that i'm struggling with, full fat milk and cream and butter in most dinner dishes we've had this week, that said, body wise I feel great for it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 01:08:28 PM
Of course, because it acts like a drug on your reward centres in the brain.. the whole story about healthy whole grains is horseshit as well. Give it a go for 2 weeks. Even in that short time you will lose some weight and feel better.

You need to read up on it lad not just buy the standard NHS advice. Trust me we've been sold a pup.

I've found in the past the low carb option with a cheat meal at the weekend worked best for me. Badly need to get back at it. One of the most annoying things about that type of diet is the way people react to you. If you said you were doubling the beer and takeaways at the weekend people would encourage it but you say you're cutting out bread and spuds people look at you like your mad.

Once I got past the first 3 weeks the cravings weren't as bad and it worked well with the training I was doing at the time. Lost the weight and went back playing football and the diet went back to shit again and put the weight back on. Should of went back to the gym when i quit the football but didn't. Struggling to get back to good habits again with family life etc. Ordered a rowing machine and started to learn to swim so time to get back at it.

Did anyone do the meat and nuts breakfast? Chicken and cashews first thing in the morning was hard going!

J70

Quote from: Last Man on September 08, 2021, 01:16:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 08, 2021, 01:10:40 PM

It's brilliant that it worked for you but you need to be careful not to regress and undo that effort. I never count calories and eat plenty of saturated fat. I even lost 95% of my weight when the gym was closed. You just can't out run a bad diet but exercise is important to maintain muscle mass which helps with insulin sensitivity.
I need to log off and get some work done!!!

I'll continue to track and exercise. Starting to get on a wee bit now, so there'll come a time when it will become harder to shed any excess weight, so I'd rather stick with what I've done. I've a very sweet tooth, and my killer was just casually and absent-mindedly grabbing a couple of biscuits or dipping into the jar of Halloween sweets the kids might have. That stuff adds a few hundred calories a day, and next thing six months down the line you've gained five pounds. Do it for a year or 18 months and you're a stone or more heavier again. So my main need is to be disciplined and resist the urges/cravings. The daily tracking keeps it at the forefront for me.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bigarsedkeeper on September 08, 2021, 01:28:59 PM

I've found in the past the low carb option with a cheat meal at the weekend worked best for me. Badly need to get back at it. One of the most annoying things about that type of diet is the way people react to you. If you said you were doubling the beer and takeaways at the weekend people would encourage it but you say you're cutting out bread and spuds people look at you like your mad.

Once I got past the first 3 weeks the cravings weren't as bad and it worked well with the training I was doing at the time. Lost the weight and went back playing football and the diet went back to shit again and put the weight back on. Should of went back to the gym when i quit the football but didn't. Struggling to get back to good habits again with family life etc. Ordered a rowing machine and started to learn to swim so time to get back at it.

Did anyone do the meat and nuts breakfast? Chicken and cashews first thing in the morning was hard going!

On this you can have sausages and melted cheese as breakfast!! just no big toasty wrapped around it...  :'(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2021, 01:34:14 PM

On this you can have sausages and melted cheese as breakfast!! just no big toasty wrapped around it...  :'(
There was no dairy apart from greek yogurt on the one I did. No cheese was tough too, love the stuff.

The hardest thing was breaking food relationships, no toast with the eggs, no chips with the steak etc. Replacing tea with green tea helped the biscuit thing too, can't dunk a chocolate digestive in green tea.

JoG2

Go easy on the healthy eating or you'll have to change your username

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: JoG2 on September 08, 2021, 02:15:37 PM

Go easy on the healthy eating or you'll have to change your username
;D

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2021, 01:22:02 PM

Double cream and salt?

That's the bit that i'm struggling with, full fat milk and cream and butter in most dinner dishes we've had this week, that said, body wise I feel great for it.
What do you have with dinner, instead of spuds or rice or pasta. I would have one of those with every single dinner (unless having pizza or fajitas, which would be worse again presumably!)?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hound on September 08, 2021, 03:16:30 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2021, 01:22:02 PM

Double cream and salt?

What do you have with dinner, instead of spuds or rice or pasta. I would have one of those with every single dinner (unless having pizza or fajitas, which would be worse again presumably!)?

courgettes sliced make a great pasta base for lasagne, and either broccoli or cauliflower 'rice'.. you can't beat a good spud, but she made some cheesey chips the other day, not sure veg it was made from but it wasn't a carb