GAA Apathy and Attendances

Started by ExiledGael, May 22, 2007, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Sorry I can't post it but Paddy Heaney's column in the Irish News today was concerning the alarmingly poor turnouts at Championship games across the country so far, he thinks a lot of bandwagon jumpers exist who would rather sit in and moan when their team's struggling.
I think the cost of a game these days has a lot to do with it, 27 euro into parts of Clones to sit!!
Surely the GAA bubble hasn't burst?
Maybe Sunday in Ballybofey will help  :-\

ziggysego

I read that today. I think that Paddy is reading too much into it.

Unfortunately I couldn't get to the game on Sunday, due to sickness, but from what I'm told the tickets were far too high. The GAA need to remember that yes, Gaelic games are popular in Ireland, but that does not mean that they can price the ordinary members out of the games.

I know a few Tyrone ones that couldn't get to the game at the weekend and a high percentage of them, it was for real reasons. I'm sure it is the same of gaels the length and breath of the country.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

I posted this on the Meath v Dublin thread

"I do a lot of work in Meath and by jaysis you would think by some of them up there all they have to do is turn up against Dublin,One fella said to me in the wholesalers that the good days are back,When i asked him what he thought of sundays game he said Dunno I haven't been to a Meath match in years but the papers said they played well  ,I can't wait till we hammer the Dubs he said then
You can't bate the bandwagon brigade can ya!"
You'll Never Walk Alone.

oakleaf stateside

last year kerrys first game of the champ they had around 500 supporters. they only seem to show up on a big day
Dont Do It

cavanmaniac

Heaney's point about the Cavan support having tailed off alarmingly in the last few years was well made though in my opinion. The McHugh years saw the last mobilisation of what's generally regarded as one of the largest and most fervent supports around.

The lean fortunes since then haven't helpednumbers-wise but they aren't solely to blame for poor followings at Cavan games of late. I think the fan as a consumer has alot more diversions and distractions when it comes to spending free time and for many, Sunday is the only day they get to spend a few hours with the family. Socially, GAA games aren't the escape or diversionary outlet, weekly treat even, that they once were in a country that had less entertainment options and less money sloshing around it once upon a time than it does now.

Mike Sheehy

Quotelast year kerrys first game of the champ they had around 500 supporters. they only seem to show up on a big day

Kerry are no different to any county that has had success. The less glamorous ties seem less attractive once you've experienced the big day in croker. The big difference is that we are not hypocrites about it and dont proclaim ourselves the greatest supporters in the country just because a bunch of us turn up for the glory days in Croke park.

southderryman

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 22, 2007, 08:22:48 PM
Quotelast year kerrys first game of the champ they had around 500 supporters. they only seem to show up on a big day

Kerry are no different to any county that has had success. The less glamorous ties seem less attractive once you've experienced the big day in croker. The big difference is that we are not hypocrites about it and dont proclaim ourselves the greatest supporters in the country just because a bunch of us turn up for the glory days in Croke park.

wel said mike. and the man who made the original point "oakleaf stateside" im guessing by your name you're a derry man. wel you could look at our own county before going any further. i was celtic park this year for the mc kenna cup against cavan, the turnout was embarrassing, there was more at an under 14 game i was at last week. if we had about 150 supporters in salthill for the galway game in the league it was about the height of it and i wouldnt expect a massive followin an the antrim game either.

but on paper we should get to the ulster final this year.......if we do........which i sincerely hope.........wait to you see the increase, and dare i say it, should we possibly scrape through til a quarter final in croke park they amount of supporters who'll be there and not even know half the players will be very high

ExiledGael

I can't wait to see a full house at the weekend in Ballybofey, and also the Ulster final back in Clones.
It makes a huge difference to the atmosphere and the overall attraction to be part of a full house, really feel like you are part of the Championship

oakleaf stateside

as a derry man urself u should no we never carry a big crew with any game we play. but as for the kerry fans 500 first game last game 20000 and then all u hear (we r the gratest)
Dont Do It

southderryman

i know we dont have a big support, i was just merely stating we are as bad for bandwagoners as everyone else, but we'll out fall out over it, i'll reserve that for tyrone who fight with each other (literally!) over tickets! ;)

ONeill

I have to say that, for me, Tyrone's success in '02, '03 and '05 has dimmed the absolute neccessity to attend every championship game. I think that, apart from the real diehards, it's a natural feeling. I'd also say the birth of my children also changed my priorities in life. The butterflies aren't the same. In saying that they'll return but not to the same extent. I remember thinking, as I stood in the Canal End as Dooher lifted it, that I was finally satisfied when it comes to my county's achievement. I know that time dims that memory and you want more but that manic yearning throughout the 80s and 90s has diminished for now.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

sam03/05

we will see when its Tyrone v Armagh/Donegal in the next round.
Demand for tickets for that game will be massive

ExiledGael

Well I hope that everyone who went on Sunday has no problem getting tickets!
The loyalty card idea from soccer is a great idea, but probably 5/10 years ahead of the GAA

Jinxy

There'll be a full house in Croker on June 3rd. That'll get the ball rolling. ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ExiledGael