GAA Apathy and Attendances

Started by ExiledGael, May 22, 2007, 07:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

I think we all know there'll be people jumping on the bandwagon in every county

back on to the price of tickets, £17 into the pat mcgrane (sp) for the first round of the ulster championship was a bit steep i thought! and no student discounts? Is the same pricing scheme used for all games? do the Ulster Council release info at the start of the championship in regards to entry fees??

Also, something that quite annoys me every year at clones, why don't they give you a ticket once you've paid in? How do they count the number of people that were at the game?
It would be a pity to say i didnt trust the guy i gave my £17 to, but i didnt! I heard stories in the past about people making financial gains at the gates, wouldn't like to think its still happening.

ExiledGael

Well I asked about a student fare when paying into the hill on Sunday for two people. Price was twelve quid (sterling) each and he said "give me £20 and that will do yiz".
I've long thought these people are pocketing a lot themselves, and as for the actual attendance figures they are total crap.
Are the under 16's counted?
It would be fascinating to see the financial reports after a big game at a ground like Clones, how they reach their figures etc

Pangurban

Two observations, while there has undoubtedly been a massive decline in attendances at County Games this year, there appears to be a corresponding increase in attendances at Club games, at least here in Down. I think there are three reasons for the fall in support for Co.Teams. 1. Excessive  prices, for what is after all an ameteur game, and the failure of the relevant bodies to even attempt to justify their pricing structure, which leaves some fans feeling ripped off. 2. Increased Television coverage. 3. Unusual starting times, which are dictated by the needs of the television companies. Why the rise of interest in the Club scene, its cheap,convenient,and often more competitive

armaghniac

The GAA can't afford to become complacent. There was a boost to hurling attendances with backdoor games, but this is now largely gone. The likes of Armagh and Tyrone having unprecedented success brought crowds and there was some innovation like the Croke Pk Ulster finals. The GAA has "thrown away" crowds with badly timed games and odd decisions on location. Great if they are going to club games, but there is also a danger that they won't go to any game!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mike Sheehy

Quoteas a derry man urself u should no we never carry a big crew with any game we play. but as for the kerry fans 500 first game last game 20000 and then all u hear (we r the gratest)

So you are saying if Derry reached the AI they would have the same "crew" they had for earlier rounds ?  ....`93 AI...remember that....

SuperDooperCooper

Right this shite about only 500 people turning up for the first round game v Waterford is the typical bullshit that keeps getting thrown at us the 'worst fans in Ireland'.......The fact that nearly 6 times the number were at the game seems irrelevant as the BBC said there was only 500 there.
The fact that the whole province was in Cardiff the day before watching Munster win the European Cup is conveniently ignored as well.
There was a little homecoming for the Munster team on in Limerick the same day as the game too.
Oh yea and the game was a foregone conclusion which people were being asked to pay €20 to attend (even if waterford did put it up to Kerry for 55mins)
Kerry are the same as everyone else the further the team goes the more the support grows.
Say what you want about us being the worst fans in Ireland but at least get the basic facts right.

Sunday, May 21
Kerry 0-16 Waterford 0-8
KERRY: D Murphy; A O'Mahony, M O'Se, T O'Sullivan; T O'Se, S Moynihan, M Lyons; D O'Se, K Donaghy; P Galvin (0-2), E Fitzmaurice (0-1), E Brosnan; C Cooper(0-2, 2fs), Declan O'Sullivan (0-4), B Sheehan (0-6, 4fs). Subs: M McCarthy for T O'Se, Darren O'Sullivan for E Brosnan, R O'Connor for E Fitzmaurice, P O'Connor (0-1) for C Cooper, T Griffin for A O'Mahony.
WATERFORD: T Wall; E Walsh, J Phelan, S Briggs; B Wall, E Rockett, P Ogle; A Aherne, M Aherne (0-1); A Hobbard, K Power, G Power (0-1); S Cunningham, G Hurney (0-1), J Ryan (0-4, 4fs). Subs: W Hennessy for A Aherne, L O'Lionain (0-1) for K Power, J Hurney for A Hobbard.

Referee: Pat McGovern (Galway).
Red cards: None.
Yellow cards: Kerry – 0. Waterford - G Power, P Ogle, E Rockett and G Hurney.
Wides: Kerry – 7. Waterford – 10.
Frees: Kerry – 16. Waterford – 16.
Attendance: 2,925.

Gnevin

Last year a huge deal was made of a Drop of 100,000 or something like that , Which of course ignore the lack of replays last year of the fact with a world cup it's only a decrease on 2,000 fair weather fans over 50 games . It's bull . I know Dublin is different but i didnt waste any time put my ticket order in .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

SuperSub

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on May 22, 2007, 08:22:48 PM
Quotelast year kerrys first game of the champ they had around 500 supporters. they only seem to show up on a big day

Kerry are no different to any county that has had success. The less glamorous ties seem less attractive once you've experienced the big day in croker. The big difference is that we are not hypocrites about it and dont proclaim ourselves the greatest supporters in the country just because a bunch of us turn up for the glory days in Croke park.

I agree with Mike here,same thing happens in Kilkenny,but saying that no matter how many Munsters and All Irelands Cork hurlers win we always get a massive support

thejuice

Well one thing that many people that live near me, and this is just in East-Meath, many people with young families cant afford to go. Croke park used to be a great day out for families (such as it was when i was a young teenager) one of my neighbours has 6 kids who are aged between 10 and 19. They are all eager to go to Croke park, but with the cost of the tickets, petrol, parking and food it would cost a fortune to bring that many kids. And this is just in Meath where its only a reletivley into Dublin.

(Speaking as a business man) The GAA think they can charge more for the same product they were selling for alot cheaper 10 years ago. The games havent changed. you still get the same product but its costing more now. The stadiums bigger and better but people dont feel like paying more for what was an affordable day out. Same with young lads who want to travell up.

I think alot of young lads between 20-25 have moved away, it used to be a cheap ticket and a few beers in Quinns before and after the game. Tickets are too expensive now.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tayto

Quote from: Gnevin on May 23, 2007, 09:29:06 AM
Last year a huge deal was made of a Drop of 100,000 or something like that , Which of course ignore the lack of replays last year of the fact with a world cup it's only a decrease on 2,000 fair weather fans over 50 games . It's bull . I know Dublin is different but i didnt waste any time put my ticket order in .

The previous year you had Tyrone replaying Dublin and Armagh. Both games brought massive crowds to the replay.

I dont think the attendances have been that bad, you'll always get a smaller crowd at games between two counties that are struggling for a few years.

The GAA earned 50% more from this years leagues then last year. 

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on May 23, 2007, 09:37:59 AM
Well one thing that many people that live near me, and this is just in East-Meath, many people with young families cant afford to go. Croke park used to be a great day out for families (such as it was when i was a young teenager) one of my neighbours has 6 kids who are aged between 10 and 19. They are all eager to go to Croke park, but with the cost of the tickets, petrol, parking and food it would cost a fortune to bring that many kids. And this is just in Meath where its only a reletivley into Dublin.

(Speaking as a business man) The GAA think they can charge more for the same product they were selling for alot cheaper 10 years ago. The games havent changed. you still get the same product but its costing more now. The stadiums bigger and better but people dont feel like paying more for what was an affordable day out. Same with young lads who want to travell up.

I think alot of young lads between 20-25 have moved away, it used to be a cheap ticket and a few beers in Quinns before and after the game. Tickets are too expensive now.
FFS 15 Euro for a hill and 25 is not dearer . I paid 150 Euro for a Rugby world cup ticket in the crappiest part of the stadium and this was from an official source . While I'm aware family have to pay for multiple tickets you'd get 5 for price of one crap WRC ticket
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

DUBSFORSAM1

15 Euro for a Hill ticket and 25 Euro for a stand ticket isn't that much.....which is more important the GAA or the booze?????? Considering most guys would have no problem spending 100+ on a Sat night that excuse doesn't wash.....

Blue Island

Heaney's article is as usual fairly well written and makes some very valid points on the nature of attendances at matches.

However, he compares soccer supporters to GAA supporters and draws the conclusion that the GAA supporter in comparison falls short in levels of commitment. I don't think Paddy is being fair in his analysis. He does not take into condideration the fact many GAA supporters have two teams to follow, that is club and county.If you were to go to every club game and county game you would be a poor man indeed and you would get feck all done around the house.

Gnevin

Quote from: Blue Island on May 23, 2007, 10:42:39 AM
Heaney's article is as usual fairly well written and makes some very valid points on the nature of attendances at matches.

However, he compares soccer supporters to GAA supporters and draws the conclusion that the GAA supporter in comparison falls short in levels of commitment. I don't think Paddy is being fair in his analysis. He does not take into condideration the fact many GAA supporters have two teams to follow, that is club and county.If you were to go to every club game and county game you would be a poor man indeed and you would get feck all done around the house.
4 for some lets not forget the small ball.

Six Inch Nail

Quote from: ONeill on May 22, 2007, 08:56:17 PM
I have to say that, for me, Tyrone's success in '02, '03 and '05 has dimmed the absolute neccessity to attend every championship game. I think that, apart from the real diehards, it's a natural feeling. I'd also say the birth of my children also changed my priorities in life. The butterflies aren't the same. In saying that they'll return but not to the same extent. I remember thinking, as I stood in the Canal End as Dooher lifted it, that I was finally satisfied when it comes to my county's achievement. I know that time dims that memory and you want more but that manic yearning throughout the 80s and 90s has diminished for now.

Ditto O'Neill.  Hard to admit that you wouldn't want to follow your county, but other things become a priority.  I hope I don't miss too many games this summer (I haven't got a ticket for Sunday though), but if I do it won't be the disaster it was a couple of years ago.

Well one thing that many people that live near me, and this is just in East-Meath,
.  Where exactly is East-Meath, I heard of Westmeath alright, but never Eastmeath ;) ;)

A couple of things.  I was talking to a chap who was at the Down-Cavan replay in Newry.  He went to go into the new stand with his 13 or 14 year old daughter and was asked for £18 apiece.  No free admission for under 16's into this stand.  He went across to the other side and paid £12 for himself and the daughter got in for nothing.  Bad organisation, considering the new stand was half empty and as a result it looked very bad.  No sense at all.

Also for Paddy Heaney (who always writes great articles including Tuesdays, but lot of the times tries to get a rise out of people of the Off The Fence colum) to compare Gaelic supporters to soccer ones is silly.  The population of Ireland is in the region of 5 million, alot of the teams that he is referring to would come from cities where the population is over 2 million (this is a guess as I haven't done any research).  Plain and simple, numbers, to compare these two situations is ludicrous.

On the Kerry note, I used to think that they were badly supported.  However after Armagh's sucess since 1999 I now think that they are well supported because the same hunger can't remain after success.

PS, (and don't anyone bother giving me a telling off for this) its becomming increasingly hard to support a team which has Ciaran McKeever and Malachy Mackin in its ranks >:( >:(
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh