Northwest 200

Started by sam03/05, May 11, 2007, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam03/05

is it a Protestant sport?

ziggysego

Quote from: sam03/05 on May 11, 2007, 07:11:38 PM

Rather than deciding if it's a Protestant sport or not, just decide do you enjoy it.
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

Noisy, smelly, boring, a general inconvenience for residents.  Nuff said...

ExiledGael

Have absolutely no interest in any motorsports, boring pile of shite in my humble opinion. But with all the hype recently, Irelands top sporting event etc, it's almost a sectarian thing is it?
Is it not just an excuse for the young louts of the country to do the rip in Portrush, somewhere most posters on here would never want to be!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Possibility, but don't think that too many of the petrol heads in the six really give a shit about religion, they are more interested in how much tork (sic) your yamaha gives!

Seriously though, I think that rallying and motor cycling are the preserve of the country folk, both Catholic and Protestant IMHO.
Tbc....

hitzelsperger

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 11, 2007, 08:43:58 PM

Possibility, but don't think that too many of the petrol heads in the six really give a shit about religion, they are more interested in how much tork (sic) your yamaha gives!

Seriously though, I think that rallying and motor cycling are the preserve of the country folk, both Catholic and Protestant IMHO.

agree totally, know plenty of bikers who dont give a fiddlers about religion, they worry more about their bikes than they do about wether somes catholic or protestant. but to be fair the non-biker people who attend the 200 are townies who just want to get pissed and sing sectarian tunes around the port!

KIDDO

What about the  coverage offered by  BBC  on this  sporting rubbish  , contrast this to the  poor sporting coverage onRadio Ulster  for the past few  sundays , no preview prior to the lunchtime news , no afternoon programmme , and just a brief wrap upafter the 6 o clock news, hopefully the commencement of the Ulster championship will see an upsurge in the radio coverage , to match the programme highlights on bbc2 at 9pm , each sunday night.

screenexile

Another death at the Northwest... seriously what is the point in this at all?!!

theticklemister

Screenexile thats two isnt it. You hear this numerous times. Very sad.

cockahoop

While im not really a bike fan i have been a couple of times and have to say i enjoyed it,to see the speed these guys reach is unbelievable but also the human tragedy which seem to happen  every year over shadows a great event.

Aerlik

I'm from that part of Ireland and I can tell you that the only "religion" surrounding the North West 200 is that of bikes ripping around a course.  My brother is a massive fan and has been going with his mates for many years. 

Let's not forget the sad passing of "our" Joey (Dunlop) had more impact on both the Nationalist and Unionist communities than could have been imagined.  And he was sponsored by a very well known Antrim family with connections to the 1989 Hurling Final.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

theticklemister

shocking opening statement in this thread.

Nothing has to be defined by religion all the time

Brick Tamlin

Its Stephen Watson's sport. He owns it.
Each to their own, but I think its f**kin brutal, actually all motorsport is when I think about it.
And they all talk funny too.

Brum-Brum

Eamonnca1

Betterridge's law of headlines applies.

Motorsport's one of the few things in the north that the taigs and prods enjoy together. I've never heard anybody call any kind of Motorsport a Protestant sport in my life.

Sea The Stars

Valentino Rossi had a quote a few years ago something along the lines of all road racers being nuts. Clearly wasn't something Valentino was too keen on.

You see Michael Dunlop there one of the top riders now and both his father and uncle were killed while racing. It clearly doesn't faze him too much.

There's one or two deaths at all these road races as far as I can tell but seems to be accepted as being part and parcel of the event. Mad really but maybe I look at it differently to others.