Armagh v Tipperary 15/7/17??

Started by tonto1888, July 10, 2017, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Rossfan on July 15, 2017, 11:27:42 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2017, 11:18:23 PM
So you want a guy sent off for a tug of the jersey? There's too much physicality taken out of the game already, lads getting sent off of a jersey pull would make the bloody thing entirely non-contact.
Jersey pulls are fouls Zulu and therefore illegal contact.

I know Rossfan but there's loads of jersey tugs that are nothing so they all can't be worthy of a sending off.

smelmoth

Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2017, 11:35:31 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:26:32 PM
So you want a guy sent off for a tug of the jersey? There's too much physicality taken out of the game already, lads getting sent off of a jersey pull would make the bloody thing entirely non-contact.

What Ciaran did was not a run of the mill jersey pull

But you said a jersey pull should be a black card, are you saying only some should?

I will openly equivocate on this one. I think it was absolutely possible to include some jersey pulls in the black card as it was possible to include some trips and late contacts

tonto1888

Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:30:32 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 15, 2017, 11:23:46 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:05:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on July 15, 2017, 07:05:56 PM
Delighted with that win. Played some good football and done what was needed to get over the line

Our football was ok. Not better. But it was the only football played. Especially in the second half

Don't understand this. Are you saying we didn't play any good football?

We certainly exploited the frailties in Tipperary's fitness and tactical shitness. What was displayed today won't win the next round.

This team can play better. They will need to and they can
I agree with that. Still think we played some good football today though

Orior

I was not expecting a win, but after 5 mins of the first half I thought we had a chance.

The ref made a few mistakes - but guess what - he is human. So give the man some slack.

Great performances all over the pitch from Armagh, and areas we can improve on too.

Positives:
- nearly always a couple of passing options
- always looking up for the long ball
- great points from play
- lots of good catches in the midfield
- kept possession until an opening appeared (despite all around me hollering for a hoof pass)
- ability to change tactics - sometimes we had a sweeper, and at other time we were all man marking
- a good bench

Room for improvement
- some indecision by the keeper on the kick-outs (but to be fair he did find men in the clear too, and was comfortable catching the ball)
- could we get more scores out of Jamie?

I also enjoyed the players staying on the pitch afterwards for photos.

Finally, I don't like the seats in Semple. I need support for my back! Otherwise, a good stadium.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

First time visiting Semple and it could do with a major facelift, for such a prestigious stadium the GAA needs to invest in it and modernise it a bit but great to finally visit this famous ground.

On the match, the Ref was poor enough for both teams, no one could really complain and say that Armagh didn't deserve the result. Thats two weeks in a row where Armagh have had me on the edge of my (half) seat, they are progressing and getting better with each game they play and no matter who they play next (bar Dublin, which is highly unlikely) they are in with a shout of reaching the quarter finals.

Personally i would like to meet Down again as i believe we'd beat them and it would be a good tight affair in Croke Park, assuming results go the way they're forecasted to go (Monaghan can't meet Down) then we'll play Down and Monaghan will play Kildare.

There were many incidents in the game and can't single them all out but the major ones were the advantage rule for Armagh's disallowed goal, C McKeever's tug of a jersey, not allowing Tipp advantage when fouled and an Armagh player taking too many steps. The ref made a mistake and the Armagh goal should have stood.
C McKeever pulled a jersey and Ref dealt with it (TBH the rules are just confusing and must be a nightmare for a Ref to call)
Tipp should have had advantage rule played when they were through (we'll never know what would have come of it)
The Armagh player whilst breaking out with the ball did take too many steps but there were 2 Tipp men hanging out of him and thats why the Ref let him run on.

All in all an enjoyable day and get's us another day out (and in HQ too)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Zulu

Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:39:01 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 15, 2017, 11:35:31 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 15, 2017, 11:26:32 PM

What Ciaran did was not a run of the mill jersey pull

But you said a jersey pull should be a black card, are you saying only some should?

I will openly equivocate on this one. I think it was absolutely possible to include some jersey pulls in the black card as it was possible to include some trips and late contacts

But it's not. Was the McKeever a definite goal chance? A referee has a very difficult job as it is and if he now had to decide what jersey tugs were black cards and what weren't then all you're doing is making more sticks to beat referees with.

David McKeown

Quote from: illdecide on July 16, 2017, 12:11:08 AM
First time visiting Semple and it could do with a major facelift, for such a prestigious stadium the GAA needs to invest in it and modernise it a bit but great to finally visit this famous ground.

On the match, the Ref was poor enough for both teams, no one could really complain and say that Armagh didn't deserve the result. Thats two weeks in a row where Armagh have had me on the edge of my (half) seat, they are progressing and getting better with each game they play and no matter who they play next (bar Dublin, which is highly unlikely) they are in with a shout of reaching the quarter finals.

Personally i would like to meet Down again as i believe we'd beat them and it would be a good tight affair in Croke Park, assuming results go the way they're forecasted to go (Monaghan can't meet Down) then we'll play Down and Monaghan will play Kildare.

There were many incidents in the game and can't single them all out but the major ones were the advantage rule for Armagh's disallowed goal, C McKeever's tug of a jersey, not allowing Tipp advantage when fouled and an Armagh player taking too many steps. The ref made a mistake and the Armagh goal should have stood.
C McKeever pulled a jersey and Ref dealt with it (TBH the rules are just confusing and must be a nightmare for a Ref to call)
Tipp should have had advantage rule played when they were through (we'll never know what would have come of it)
The Armagh player whilst breaking out with the ball did take too many steps but there were 2 Tipp men hanging out of him and thats why the Ref let him run on.

All in all an enjoyable day and get's us another day out (and in HQ too)

I understood the rule was that as long as it was possible a team could not meet a team the had previously eliminated As that will not be possible if Down lose tomorrow a draw will be required.

In rounds 1-3 of the qualifiers if a team is required to play against someone they've already beaten then they get home advantage, not sure if that rule continues to round 4. So may not be in Croke Park (or against Down yet)
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rossfan

As Armagh and Monaghan won there will be a draw for pairings.
Round 4 is neutral venues.
I'd suspect Croke Park will be the venue (to make up for Dublin's 1st game in Leinster being not being there).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

nrico2006

Any cynical jersey pulls should be black cards, but they currently aren't within the scope of the rule/sanction. If it was, instead of worrying about the number of culprits it may lead to a cleaner game and eradicate one form of cheating. Why pull a jersey in the first place?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

David McKeown

Quote from: Rossfan on July 16, 2017, 12:35:29 AM
As Armagh and Monaghan won there will be a draw for pairings.
Round 4 is neutral venues.
I'd suspect Croke Park will be the venue (to make up for Dublin's 1st game in Leinster being not being there).

Cheers, at the start of the year if you had said to Armagh fans they would play in Croke Park in the championship this year most would have been ecstatic.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Zulu

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2017, 12:39:01 AM
Any cynical jersey pulls should be black cards, but they currently aren't within the scope of the rule/sanction. If it was, instead of worrying about the number of culprits it may lead to a cleaner game and eradicate one form of cheating. Why pull a jersey in the first place?

Have you ever played any contact sport?

nrico2006

Quote from: Zulu on July 16, 2017, 01:03:31 AM

Aye, probably more than yourself but never found the need to pull a jersey. Are you a jersey puller? It's the most obvious case of cynical play in the GAA and the black card was brought in to get rid of cynical play therefore a jersey pull should be a black card offence.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Solo_run

The black card rule is a disgrace....it's constantly being argued over. 

Personally,  I think a pull on the jersey should be a yellow card offence. I would consider pulling a players arm back as more of an infringement then tugging at a shirt.

Zulu

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 16, 2017, 01:17:33 AM
Quote from: Zulu on July 16, 2017, 01:03:31 AM

Aye, probably more than yourself but never found the need to pull a jersey. Are you a jersey puller? It's the most obvious case of cynical play in the GAA and the black card was brought in to get rid of cynical play therefore a jersey pull should be a black card offence.

If you've played any contact team sport and never pulled a jersey you were either on the bench for every game or so far off your opponent you may as well have been. Look, I'd love to see cynical play punished as much as any man but pulling a jersey can be a minor interference that is as much instinctual as anything else so arguing a guy should be sent off for it is daft. The black card is a good effort at tackling the worst excesses of teams but it isn't perfect.

Main Street

Quote from: illdecide on July 16, 2017, 12:11:08 AM

Despite all that has been written in the qualifier thread, why do still think Monaghan can't play Down again but Armagh can?
Who was that mystery team that Down beat before they beat Monaghan?