Cork v Kerry 2nd July 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, June 28, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

With Donegal and Monaghan out of Ulster and Mayo out of Connacht, could there be another shock this Sunday in Killarney?
2012 was the last time Cork beat Kerry and having given up their home venue again most would expect an easy enough Kerry win. Especially with Cork's struggle to beat both Tipperary and Waterford.
Usually Cork beat them when at home but their last game in Pairc ui Chaoimh they got hammered 0.12 to 0.24 though they managed a draw the following year in Kllarney.

Cork's new paircuichaoimh stadium looks very impressive and I presume it will be the 2nd best stadium in the country when complete.

Syferus

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 28, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

Cork's new paircuichaoimh stadium looks very impressive and I presume it will be the 2nd best stadium in the country when complete.
With the huge money spent of this project it would crazy if it wasn't.

Maroon Manc

Darragh O'Se predicting a Cork win, no doubt the 3 brothers have decided to take it in turns to predict Kerry getting beat during the summer.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2017, 07:20:40 PM
Darragh O'Se predicting a Cork win, no doubt the 3 brothers have decided to take it in turns to predict Kerry getting beat during the summer.

Cork go into this undefeated in their last 5 competitive games!

(Thought I'd add a stat to further boost Darragh's crazy prediction)

PW Nally

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2017, 07:20:40 PM
He said Cork can win by a few points but did not say they would. Paidi backed Mayo in 04 + 06 finals. :-[

J70

With Donegal and Monaghan out of Ulster and Mayo out of Connacht, could there be another shock this Sunday in Killarney?
2012 was the last time Cork beat Kerry and having given up their home venue again most would expect an easy enough Kerry win. Especially with Cork's struggle to beat both Tipperary and Waterford.
Usually Cork beat them when at home but their last game in Pairc ui Chaoimh they got hammered 0.12 to 0.24 though they managed a draw the following year in Kllarney.

That's impressive.

I guess they've missed the June deadline in the video clip then?

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on June 28, 2017, 07:39:59 PM

That's impressive.

I guess they've missed the June deadline in the video clip then?

Both Munster finals were supposed to be on there.

The Cork CB confirmed 18 months back that they were already 10 million over budget and refused to comment to the Examiner a few weeks back that it had gone to 17 million over budget (with some folk suggesting that the over-run is likely to be higher).

As for the game itself, the only hope Cork have is if they pull a performance from nowhere and Kerry have a stinker, which was a lot more common back in the days when preparation was a lot more casual. I read an article in the Examiner yesterday and it was all about Peader Healy giving out about the structure of the county championship in Cork - had a real whiff of getting the excuses in early.

Both sides seem to have pretty much full panels to pick from.

Rossfan

Outside of the 2 Counties involved very few care - other than to see Kerry taken down a peg or 2.
It's just the (almost) annual game to see which goes to the last 8 and the last 12.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2017, 10:42:43 AM
Outside of the 2 Counties involved very few care - other than to see Kerry taken down a peg or 2.
It's just the (almost) annual game to see which goes to the last 8 and the last 12.

Yeah, Cork has only won one Munster since 2009! That's One title out of Seven! Cork have been in decline structurally since 2011! There is no doubt the players are there. Just the organisation, commitment and hunger isn't. Kerry at the moment have a free pass into the Quarter finals where they will probably end up playing the weakest qualifier as they usually do!

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2017, 11:20:04 AM

Yeah, Cork has only won one Munster since 2009! That's One title out of Seven! Cork have been in decline structurally since 2011! There is no doubt the players are there. Just the organisation, commitment and hunger isn't. Kerry at the moment have a free pass into the Quarter finals where they will probably end up playing the weakest qualifier as they usually do!

I dunno. The players seem pretty shite too.

twohands!!!

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 29, 2017, 11:20:04 AM

The thing is Tipp and Clare have improved a fair bit in the last while.

All 3 of Tipp, Clare and Cork will be in Division 2 next year.

Everything I've heard about Cork suggest the manager is a decent guy but out of his depth.

Very hard to have any sort of success when the lad in charge isn't up to it.

Also I'm not sure the quality of player they have is all that great - you look at the stuff like nominations for the likes of All-Stars/Player of the Year/Young Player of the Year in the last few years and the betting for the current year, and there is a serious scarcity of Cork names until you go well down the lists. You look at the clubs and Cork clubs have struggled to make any sort of impact in Munster club competitions never mind at national level.

mayoaremagic

Kerry to win this by 10-15 points playing in second gear against a average Division 2 team. They had had training camp in Carton House last week. Great week for Kerry winning Munster titles in senior, junior and minor in one week on top of u21 title won earlier in year.

mayoaremagic

Buttofthehill