Cork v Kerry 2nd July 2pm

Started by Fuzzman, June 28, 2017, 02:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Jeez, Munster is some shite for football! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Hardy

Quote from: OgraAnDun on July 02, 2017, 03:39:41 PM
Even the commentators are fed up of the game. Bit of common sense with regards to the injury time would have been welcome.

Seriously? On what basis? Wouldn't that be a really mickey mouse approach to regulating a serious sport? And what would stop Frank Murphy from demanding a replay? (Other than not wanting another massacre). And how would you ever enforce proper timekeeping, or proper rules of any kind again after the precedent of allowing a referee to make up imaginary time?

yellowcard

Snoozefest of a match, result never in doubt after 5 minutes.

BennyCake

Quote from: balladmaker on July 02, 2017, 03:42:33 PM
Kerry reach the Quarter Finals without breaking sweat.

Kerry could have reached the Quarter Finals without breaking eggs.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2017, 04:08:10 PM
Even the commentators are fed up of the game. Bit of common sense with regards to the injury time would have been welcome.

Seriously? On what basis? Wouldn't that be a really mickey mouse approach to regulating a serious sport? And what would stop Frank Murphy from demanding a replay? (Other than not wanting another massacre). And how would you ever enforce proper timekeeping, or proper rules of any kind again after the precedent of allowing a referee to make up imaginary time?

Sure time's variable anyway maybe we could bring football up to date with this and speed time up based on the margin between the teams? It would make things more interesting and save us the bother of watching matches like that today.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 02, 2017, 04:17:04 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 02, 2017, 04:08:10 PM

Sure time's variable anyway maybe we could bring football up to date with this and speed time up based on the margin between the teams? It would make things more interesting and save us the bother of watching matches like that today.

I doubt anyone would demand a replay if seven minutes of added time were given instead of ten. I've been at many games where 1 minute or 2 minutes is given after various injuries and schmozzles so I don't think anyone would have minded.

Zulu

Hardly the point. A game is 70 minutes and a referee has to play that time. They may not always do it accurately but they can't just go around saying this ones done so I'll blow it up early. Internet connection let me down so only caught a few minutes here and there but Kerry will take some stopping. O'Donoghue looked excellent from what I did see and himself and Geaney will cause anyone problems. With a strong midfield and decent defence they are Dublin's biggest threat and may even herald the start of a genuine top two this year.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on July 02, 2017, 04:35:14 PM
Hardly the point. A game is 70 minutes and a referee has to play that time. They may not always do it accurately but they can't just go around saying this ones done so I'll blow it up early. Internet connection let me down so only caught a few minutes here and there but Kerry will take some stopping. O'Donoghue looked excellent from what I did see and himself and Geaney will cause anyone problems. With a strong midfield and decent defence they are Dublin's biggest threat and may even herald the start of a genuine top two this year.

Their defence looked anything but decent today. Cork created 5 or 6 goal chances and you could drive a bus down the middle of it at times.

O'Donoghue looked back to his best but you can't really read too much into, there was a huge gulf between the teams and Kerry played within themselvs for the most part.

square_ball

No matter the level of opposition O'Donoghue and Geaney are a joy to watch. Definitely think their defence is suspect but better opposition will see a different set up I'm sure.

Zulu

Can't comment on today as I saw very little but I think Geaney and O'Donoghue are proven performers and their defence has shown itself to be decent over the years as well. All good teams can adapt and I think Kerry could keep a top team to less than 15 points if they have to. Besides, outside of Dublin I'm not sure there are forward lines out there that are particularly good. I think Kerry will be happy enough to face anyone with what they have.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Zulu on July 02, 2017, 05:22:23 PM
Can't comment on today as I saw very little but I think Geaney and O'Donoghue are proven performers and their defence has shown itself to be decent over the years as well. All good teams can adapt and I think Kerry could keep a top team to less than 15 points if they have to. Besides, outside of Dublin I'm not sure there are forward lines out there that are particularly good. I think Kerry will be happy enough to face anyone with what they have.

I don't think their defence has shown itself to be decent.

They pick up a serious amount of black cards for a reason and are the biggest systematic foulers around, if you run at them through the middle they open up like the red sea.

In saying that I think they look very strong and would be shocked if they're not in the final this year. Mayo are stumbling along and I don't think they can turn it around like last year. Donegal look like a team mired in the early stage of transition and Galway look a fair bit off the finished product. Only really Mayo can put it up to them before the final and they are looking like a dying animal right now. I would imagine Kerry will finish them off in the quarters.

Maroon Manc

All far too easy for Kerry today, Cork just a mess all over the pitch and are clearly clueless under a manager who is worrying so far out of his depth. Cork appeared to have no plan on their own kickouts and gave it away time and time again. Cork looked dangerous when they ran at Kerry, probably created enough goal chances to worry Fitzmaurice.

Corks full forward line was useless, I've seen Luke Connolly play several times now and I just don't see what he offers, a big lad with limited ability. Does that Coakley play for Judes in Dublin? He looked way out if his depth and its hard to believe that a county the size of Cork were relying on those 2 for scores. Nobody will be worried about playing them in the qualifiers, their a shambles and the worst Cork team I've ever seen.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 02, 2017, 04:57:20 PM
Quote from: Zulu on July 02, 2017, 04:35:14 PM

Their defence looked anything but decent today. Cork created 5 or 6 goal chances and you could drive a bus down the middle of it at times.

O'Donoghue looked back to his best but you can't really read too much into, there was a huge gulf between the teams and Kerry played within themselvs for the most part.

Cork scored more against the Kerry defence today than they scored against Waterford and Tipp and that was with 4/5 goal chances butchered by Cork.

I'd say the Dubs are laughing.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 02, 2017, 07:08:52 PM
All far too easy for Kerry today, Cork just a mess all over the pitch and are clearly clueless under a manager who is worrying so far out of his depth. Cork appeared to have no plan on their own kickouts and gave it away time and time again. Cork looked dangerous when they ran at Kerry, probably created enough goal chances to worry Fitzmaurice.

Corks full forward line was useless, I've seen Luke Connolly play several times now and I just don't see what he offers, a big lad with limited ability. Does that Coakley play for Judes in Dublin? He looked way out if his depth and its hard to believe that a county the size of Cork were relying on those 2 for scores. Nobody will be worried about playing them in the qualifiers, their a shambles and the worst Cork team I've ever seen.

Cork looked woeful for long periods but still managed their highest tally of the championship, despite missing several goal chances - for me the Kerry defence looked poor.

I'd be gobsmacked if Cork don't go out in the next game they play - they looked utterly clueless for long periods.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I'm only after seeing the result of the minor game there, hopefully Tadgh Kennelly was in attendence.