Cavan vs. Monaghan - Sunday June 11th - Breffni (el clasico)

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 05, 2017, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttofthehill

Refs don't bother with the ball travelling the correct distance from the kick out anymore...unless your name is Stephen Cluxton.

Captain Obvious

Monaghan pushing on while it looks like the stuffing is knocked out of Cavan?

Main Street

For the most part it was a dog's bollix of a game apart from a bit of open play in the 2nd half. The conditions were awful though.
Both supporters will rue some poor shooting but quite frankly Monaghan were guilty of dreadful shooting.
The ref could have used advantage to better effect and seemed to buy a foul every time a player rolled on the ground
Overall a sluggish spectacle  glossed over by the excitement of a close game.
Cavan should go into the qualifier with confidence.

Monaghan might get past Down but look to be a good bit behind Donegal and Tyrone

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Main Street on June 11, 2017, 03:48:24 PM
For the most part it was a dog's bollix of a game apart from a bit of open play in the 2nd half. The conditions were awful though.
Both supporters will rue some poor shooting but quite frankly Monaghan were guilty of dreadful shooting.
The ref could have used advantage to better effect and seemed to buy a foul every time a player rolled on the ground

Monaghan might get past Down but look to be a good bit behind Donegal and Tyrone

Monaghan will get past Down easily enough. Down scored 0-15 on a good day against a poor defense - Monaghan scored 1-15 on a rubbish day against a defensive system. If Down are able to make it a competitive game most Down supporters will be happy.

Itchy

Best team won as I predicted. Too many passengers on the cavan team including Johnston who contributed nothing yet again in a big game. Monaghan 6 pts a better team and only brutal shooting kept cavan in it in last quarter. Very poor show by cavan keeper too, probably cost us 3 pts with poor kick outs. So the vocal minority that insisted on Hyland was not rid off, whatvsay ye now with league relegation and out of ulster at 1st hurdle?

Il Bomber Destro

Good game.

Moynagh really should have taken McManus down there when he was 1 on 1.

Very harsh on Johnston, Itchy. Thought he showed very well today for Cavan.

Itchy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 11, 2017, 04:45:25 PM
Good game.

Showed well!!! He didn't win one ball the whole match. He isn't able to track back. No scores from play.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Itchy on June 11, 2017, 04:47:50 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 11, 2017, 04:45:25 PM
Good game.

Showed well!!! He didn't win one ball the whole match. He isn't able to track back. No scores from play.

He gave Kelly the runaround a few times.

giveballaghback

Right good game today, Cavan need to get a game plan and stay with it, have the talent to be contenders but that Monaghan team will be hard to beat this year, no one will fancy playing them.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Main Street on June 11, 2017, 03:48:24 PM

I'd say it was one of Monaghan's poorest shooting displays in a good while - Watching it I thought that both McManus and Carron with guilty of going for great height with their shots which the tricky wind played havoc with.

I'm not so sure if Cavan can take a huge amount of confidence from the game - in the second half their attack looked very limited - Mackay was the only forward to score from play.

Monaghan should get passed Down but will definitely have to do better on the shooting front if they plan to trouble Donegal or Tyrone. Also 8 points conceded from deadballs is way too high an amount (even if I'd agree a couple were of the soft variety)

Schkite

Yeah we'll definitely need to improve with our accuracy, far too often today we took the wrong option and it resulted in a wild shot. The conditions didn't help but even allowing for that, it was an average enough showing in attack.

But still, this was never going to be an easy game, and combining that with the weather it was very much a case of just getting the win and moving on. I'd expect an overall improvement going forward.

Westside

Monaghan just that bit better, committed effort from Cavan but as usual lacked real leadership when the game was in the melting pot.

Johnston contributed very very little today and should have been substituted. Clerkin, Gerry Smith were also poor. Moynagh should have cleaned McManus as the worst case scenario, could still have stood him up I thought, to let him skip around him like that was dreadful. Other than that I thought he played well. Mackey was decent, thought Ciaran Brady played very well when he came on.

Same old same old really. We've improved from the dark days prior to 2013 but we're still a good step below Tyrone, Donegal and to a lesser extent Monaghan.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

T Fearon

Best game of the Ulster Championship to date.Incidentally is Cian  Mackey vastly underrated? He never seems to have a poor game.