Cavan vs. Monaghan - Sunday June 11th - Breffni (el clasico)

Started by GrandMasterFlash, June 05, 2017, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on June 08, 2017, 10:04:40 AM
Quote from: seafoid on June 07, 2017, 05:29:05 PM
Why haven't Monaghan won at least 1 Sam?

I'm sure the Monaghan lads will tell you why!
We have worthy women who capture All Ireland senior trophies on behalf of the county.

Fuzzman

I understand this is a derby game between two old rivals but in reality should Monaghan not have far too much for Cavan. No doubt Cavan will sit back and try to frustrate them but Monaghan have shown over the last few years that they're well able to win ugly as the have beaten both Tyrone and Donegal well in recent years.

Monaghan must look at Tipperary last year getting to an AI semifinal and wonder why have they not managed to achieve that in recent years. As I've said quite often recently, winning Ulster can often be a poisoned chalice as so much effort goes into it, that the AI quarterfinal is often a tough game to get up for.

No doubt the lads on TSG will have a field day giving out about the style of football and so much effort being put in to stop the other team. Cavan shocked Tyrone last year with so many goals in the first game but I can't see a repeat of that against a very strong Monaghan defence.

Itchy

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 08, 2017, 03:17:10 PM
I understand this is a derby game between two old rivals but in reality should Monaghan not have far too much for Cavan. No doubt Cavan will sit back and try to frustrate them but Monaghan have shown over the last few years that they're well able to win ugly as the have beaten both Tyrone and Donegal well in recent years.

Monaghan must look at Tipperary last year getting to an AI semifinal and wonder why have they not managed to achieve that in recent years. As I've said quite often recently, winning Ulster can often be a poisoned chalice as so much effort goes into it, that the AI quarterfinal is often a tough game to get up for.

No doubt the lads on TSG will have a field day giving out about the style of football and so much effort being put in to stop the other team. Cavan shocked Tyrone last year with so many goals in the first game but I can't see a repeat of that against a very strong Monaghan defence.

Cavan don't have that goal threat as it all came from playing David Givney at FF but he has opted out this year. Our league goal threat came when McVitty drifted inside and he was explosive in there but word is he is injured and won't feature. Therefore Cavan will have no option but to go out very defensive in this game and I believe they will be way more defensive than they ever were under Hyland. With the hand they have been dealt that is what I would do as a coach. I would have looked at Raymond Gallagher putting serious work into free taking. He can kick the ball over from 60m and at club level he often does. Strangely his frees were quite poor in the league. So if Monaghan can stop goals (which they have a minimal threat from Cavan), not concede frees inside 50/60m and get some decent return from their FF line then I cannot see Cavan win. For Cavan to win they would have to have a loctite defensive effort to totally negate McMannus and Co. Force Monaghan to kick long to midfield where i think Cavan can win the battle and be very economical with whatever chances they have then Cavan could win. Monaghan win is much more likely and the bookies think so too but these games have always been tight and the fear of losing can do weird and wonderful things to players on a big day against your biggest rivals.

Main Street

Monaghan's rivals these days are Tyrone and Donegal.
Games against Cavan have been tame affairs by comparison.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on June 08, 2017, 09:40:10 PM

If you say so. I think the people both sides of our long border will think differently. Sure the mushroom men used to peep over the ditches just to catch a glimpse of a Sam back in the day. I suppose maybe on your side you'd be peeping over to look at Tyrones Sams - fair enough.

Schkite

Unchanged team for Monaghan. Darren Hughes returns on the bench.

1    Rory Beggan   
2    Fintan Kelly   
3    Drew Wylie   
4    Ryan Wylie   
5    Colin Walshe   
6    Vinny Corey   
7    Neil Mc Adam   
8    Kieran Hughes   
9    Karl O'Connell   
10    Gavin Doogan   
11    Shane Carey   
12    Dessie Ward   
13    Conor Mc Carthy   
14    Jack Mc Carron
15    Conor Mc Manus   

16    Conor Forde
17    Kieran Duffy   
18    James Mealiff   
19    Dessie Mone   
20    Brian Greenan   
21    Darren Hughes
22    Dermot Malone   
23    Owen Duffy   
24    Ryan Mc Anespie
25   Thomas Kerr   
26    Micheal Bannigan

mrdeeds

Cavan team named

1.Raymond Galligan (Lacken)
2. Padraig Faulkner (Kingscourt)
3. Killian Clarke (Shercock)
4. Niall Murray (Cavan Gaels)
5. James McEnroe (Ramor United)
6. Conor Moynagh (Drumgoon)
7. Gerard Smith (Lavey)
8. Liam Buchanan (Ballymachugh)
9. Gearoid McKiernan (Swanlinbar)
10. Cian Mackey (Castlerahan)
11. Conor Madden (Gowna)
12. Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
13. Niall Clerkin (Shercock)
14. Niall McDermott (Ballinagh)
15. Sean Johnston (Cavan Gaels)

16. James Farrelly (Kingscourt)
17. Jason McLoughlin (Shannon Gaels)
18. Fergal Reilly (Castlerahan)
19. Tomas Corr (Denn)
20. Ciaran Brady (Arvagh)
21. Thomas Galligan (Lacken)
22. Ryan Connolly (Drumlane)
23. Joe Dillon (Kingscourt)
24. Caoimhin O'Reilly (Butlersbridge)
25. Joshua Hayes (Cootehill Celtic)
26. Dara McVeety (Crosserlough)

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on June 08, 2017, 09:51:24 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 08, 2017, 09:40:10 PM

If you say so. I think the people both sides of our long border will think differently. Sure the mushroom men used to peep over the ditches just to catch a glimpse of a Sam back in the day. I suppose maybe on your side you'd be peeping over to look at Tyrones Sams - fair enough.
Hard to tell how our great grandfathers acted out when Cavan last won an AI. And regardless, Cavan's ancient trophy cabinet will be féck all use to them when the game begins.
We have a very settled team who should do the business on sunday.
Darren Hughes on the bench is great news.

Westside

McVeety is a huge loss although I'd imagine he'll be given every chance to prove his fitness before Sunday.

McEnroe included after missing the whole league, second year in a row this has happened. He's a good player but I can't see him being up to speed.

Feargal Reilly played the whole league and was very solid, he can feel aggrieved at being excluded. Niall Clerkin is, IMO, out of his depth and has been all year. Can't understand how he's such a favourite of Mattie's. Galligan, Connolly and O'Reilly are three good prospects, be interesting to see how they fare out if they're thrown into the fray. Shows how light we are up front when they form the most of our forward options off the bench.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Westside on June 08, 2017, 10:37:09 PM
McVeety is a huge loss although I'd imagine he'll be given every chance to prove his fitness before Sunday.

McEnroe included after missing the whole league, second year in a row this has happened. He's a good player but I can't see him being up to speed.

Feargal Reilly played the whole league and was very solid, he can feel aggrieved at being excluded. Niall Clerkin is, IMO, out of his depth and has been all year. Can't understand how he's such a favourite of Mattie's. Galligan, Connolly and O'Reilly are three good prospects, be interesting to see how they fare out if they're thrown into the fray. Shows how light we are up front when they form the most of our forward options off the bench.

That full forward line wouldn't fill me with confidence. Dillon maybe might start and can't see Madden on 40.

Itchy

Quote from: Westside on June 08, 2017, 10:37:09 PM

What is it, 10 weeks since our last game. 10 weeks for players to stake a claim and show what they've got. League is ancient history now. I can only presume these are the players showing up the best. We will see on Sunday.

Westside

Yeah true but I still find it hard to think that a lad with a very good Division 1 League Campaign behind him can be ousted from the team by a lad who hasn't played a competitive game all year. Big fan of McEnroe though, when he's on form he's a fantastic addition, hopefully we'll see the best out of him Sunday.

I'd rather see Dillon start than Madden. Dillon is strong and aggressive, Madden has proven watery enough in the past and has a tendency to let games pass him by.

cavanmaniac

Any rational analysis points to Monaghan winning this one, but even a poor Cavan team would always give the Farneymen a run for their money, and vice-versa, as has more often been the case traditionally. A situation where one or the other continues to win narrowly or avoid defeat over a significant span of time is unlikely to persist too long on the law of averages of derbies so although Cavan will play more with hope than expectation, because that burden thankfully rests instead on our neighbours, there isn't a single one of the possible outcomes to this game that would surprise me one iota. Hopefully it's not an utter borefest for the neutral anyway.

mrdeeds

The stadium has to be referred to now as just Kingspan Breffni.

Itchy

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 09, 2017, 11:43:27 AM
The stadium has to be referred to know as just Kingspan Breffni.

f**k that shite. Its Breffni Park. Haven't ever heard a supporter call it anything else.