Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

What do you mean a shoulder to the chest is not a free in hurling? Do you mean refs don't bother blowing for it?

Manning18

Having your arms stretched out in front of you collecting a ball is not having possession. Had he collected the ball and tucked into into his chest as normal it'd be different. There's a reason we don't allow midfielders with arms outstretched to be hit in the air, and a reason a player with his arms out collecting a ball can't be hit. It's incredibly dangerous, the player is completely defenseless, which is why it was blown a free. Laughable how taking a player out of the game like that is lauded as some sort of good thing. Comer's hardly the type to be soft and stay down in that regard either, but had to be carried off. A hit like that is more cowardly than manly, hitting someone who cant possibly defend it. 

macdanger2

Quote from: Manning18 on May 29, 2017, 03:39:00 PM
Having your arms stretched out in front of you collecting a ball is not having possession. Had he collected the ball and tucked into into his chest as normal it'd be different. There's a reason we don't allow midfielders with arms outstretched to be hit in the air, and a reason a player with his arms out collecting a ball can't be hit. It's incredibly dangerous, the player is completely defenseless, which is why it was blown a free. Laughable how taking a player out of the game like that is lauded as some sort of good thing. Comer's hardly the type to be soft and stay down in that regard either, but had to be carried off. A hit like that is more cowardly than manly, hitting someone who cant possibly defend it.

Midfielders can't be shouldered when catching because they're in the air. No rule about arms outstretched or otherwise. The ref in that clip must have considered it not to be shoulder to shoulder - I thought it was a fair hit

westbound

Quote from: Manning18 on May 29, 2017, 03:39:00 PM

There is no rule about not hitting a player 'with his arms out collecting a ball". I'm not sure if the phrase 'in possession' is defined in the rule book but in my opinion if you have your two hands on the ball then you are in possession of it! Just because it's not tucked into his chest doesn't mean he's not in possession of the ball. So therefore I think he was entitled to be shoulder charged.

However, in this particular case I think it was frontal charge and therefore on those grounds the ref was correct IMO.

The fact that so many people have differing opinions on whether this is a foul or not, after watching the replays slowed down upteen times, proves how difficult it is for referees. Would video technology solve the problem in a case like this? - Probably not!

Farrandeelin

Let's hope Boyle does something similar on Sunday week. In fact I'd love if every Mayo player did. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Manning18

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 29, 2017, 11:07:06 PM
Let's hope Boyle does something similar on Sunday week. In fact I'd love if every Mayo player did. :D

Well it was a Suicide pass and had he kept his eyes on the ball and slapped the ball it was a simple turnover and a quick Mayo counter attack. Went for the man instead and conceded a scoreable free

sans pessimism

Quote from: Manning18 on May 29, 2017, 11:24:30 PM

Well it was a Suicide pass and had he kept his eyes on the ball and slapped the ball it was a simple turnover and a quick Mayo counter attack. Went for the man instead and conceded a scoreable free
lucky for ye-nuff of a baatin without it
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

GalwayBayBoy

In fairness the Boyle shoulder charge on an unguarded opponent receiving the ball is pretty much his trade mark. Does it in every game. Often successfully.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 29, 2017, 11:55:55 PM

In fairness the Boyle shoulder charge on an unguarded opponent receiving the ball is pretty much his trade mark. Does it in every game. Often successfully.

Boyle's awful reckless. When he's been asked to play deeper he just doesn't have the discipline to read the play, he sees the ball and he's like a dog in heat and goes after it. Reminds me a bit of Seanie Mac here, wonderful servant and always gives it 100% but sometimes he can get caught out by basic errors.

Maroon Manc

Less than 2 weeks to go, disappointed I won't be going over for it.

Tactically I expect Galway to adopt a similar approach to last year and play with a blanket defence. Farragher at centre half back worries me against me against AOS although i'd like to think he won't get over exposed. If Flynn is fit enough to start I hope Galway make more use of his height advantage from kick outs, he's got to be 6 inches taller than any of the Mayo half backs. I'm not sure how Mayo will set up but we should find out if Cafferkey is fully recovered from his injury given he'll likely pick up Comer.

DJGaliv

I don't know about this arms outstretched rule. To be honest I think if a lad leaves himself open, whether that's after being given a hospital pass or not seeing it coming then he's fair game.
You might call it a cheap shot, but I can't see any player refusing to clean a lad out with a shoulder if he's there to be hit.
For a small man Boyle is superb at these hits. One thing though I'd note in his game is he often overcommits to the block down. This could leave him open to a dummy solo and he's out of the game. Don't know why more don't try it against him he's such a wholehearted player.

Will be some match up keegan, Boyle and Durcan v Flynn, Walsh and brannigan. Wonder will Flynn be targeted with kickouts as I feel that Mayo may have upper hand in midfield.

mouview

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 30, 2017, 12:16:44 PM
Less than 2 weeks to go, disappointed I won't be going over for it.

Tactically I expect Galway to adopt a similar approach to last year and play with a blanket defence. Farragher at centre half back worries me against me against AOS although i'd like to think he won't get over exposed. If Flynn is fit enough to start I hope Galway make more use of his height advantage from kick outs, he's got to be 6 inches taller than any of the Mayo half backs. I'm not sure how Mayo will set up but we should find out if Cafferkey is fully recovered from his injury given he'll likely pick up Comer.

I think the trick with AOS is to let him win the ball, which is his strong point, and then surround him. Hanley made the mistake a couple of years back by trying to compete physically with him. If he stood off him initially and then slow him up with a tackle, O'Shea's effectiveness can be reduced. He's not the most skillful or paciest.

cornetto

No stand tickets on sale, sold out or is it season ticket holders first option,not too sure how it works.sure the sun will be splitting the rocks, (not in salthill) bring your raincoat.!!!

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2017, 02:35:31 PM
What do you mean a shoulder to the chest is not a free in hurling? Do you mean refs don't bother blowing for it?

Yes, I mean it often isn't given, even when it is very clear and dangerous. In football, a slightly mistimed shoulder is nearly always a free which is very odd to me.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: DJGaliv on May 30, 2017, 12:18:31 PM
I don't know about this arms outstretched rule. To be honest I think if a lad leaves himself open, whether that's after being given a hospital pass or not seeing it coming then he's fair game.
You might call it a cheap shot, but I can't see any player refusing to clean a lad out with a shoulder if he's there to be hit.
For a small man Boyle is superb at these hits. One thing though I'd note in his game is he often overcommits to the block down. This could leave him open to a dummy solo and he's out of the game. Don't know why more don't try it against him he's such a wholehearted player.

Will be some match up keegan, Boyle and Durcan v Flynn, Walsh and brannigan. Wonder will Flynn be targeted with kickouts as I feel that Mayo may have upper hand in midfield.

Mayo's much vaunted midfield isn't as good as it was.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.