Galway v Mayo 11/06/17

Started by Duine Eile, May 21, 2017, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Zulu on May 30, 2017, 04:02:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2017, 02:35:31 PM
What do you mean a shoulder to the chest is not a free in hurling? Do you mean refs don't bother blowing for it?

Yes, I mean it often isn't given, even when it is very clear and dangerous. In football, a slightly mistimed shoulder is nearly always a free which is very odd to me.
Sure the poor oul hurley refs would get hell from the hurley crowd if they went around blowing up fouls.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

bucko

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 30, 2017, 06:36:31 PM
Quote from: DJGaliv on May 30, 2017, 12:18:31 PM
I don't know about this arms outstretched rule. To be honest I think if a lad leaves himself open, whether that's after being given a hospital pass or not seeing it coming then he's fair game.
You might call it a cheap shot, but I can't see any player refusing to clean a lad out with a shoulder if he's there to be hit.
For a small man Boyle is superb at these hits. One thing though I'd note in his game is he often overcommits to the block down. This could leave him open to a dummy solo and he's out of the game. Don't know why more don't try it against him he's such a wholehearted player.

Will be some match up keegan, Boyle and Durcan v Flynn, Walsh and brannigan. Wonder will Flynn be targeted with kickouts as I feel that Mayo may have upper hand in midfield.

Mayo's much vaunted midfield isn't as good as it was.
The official guide is pretty clear, either you're in possession or you're not, there's no mention of arms outstretched or ball to chest. It's legal if it's shoulder to shoulder, the tackler has one foot on the ground and the tackled player isn't in the act of kicking the ball. Otherwise it's a free, simple as. Although I've seen it several times in matches now the last few years, and not just in Mayo matches where perfectly legal shoulders (and dispossessions) have been blown up as fouls while a load of blatant fouls are being let go. The mind boggles at the standard of refereeing at every level these days. I seriously wonder do some referees actually study, know and understand the official guide??? As regards Boyle, the guy's a legend, the hardiest, toughest player we have. Yeah there are aspects to his game that aren't perfect, his positioning and game reading isn't the best. But for sheer  physicality, heart and leadership I'd have  him every time.
Our midfield has become an issue, especially on long kickouts. We're not nearly as effective at winning breaking ball as we were 2-3 years ago. Possibly because we have put more emphasis on short kickouts that we don't have as many bodies in that middle zone. Also Kevin McLoughlin has been played further away, sweeper last year and this year appears to being played as a conventional full/ corner forward, along with Jason Doherty who isn't starting most games now these two guys were our best foragers around the middle mopping up breaks imo.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Manning18 on May 29, 2017, 03:39:00 PM
Having your arms stretched out in front of you collecting a ball is not having possession. Had he collected the ball and tucked into into his chest as normal it'd be different. There's a reason we don't allow midfielders with arms outstretched to be hit in the air, and a reason a player with his arms out collecting a ball can't be hit. It's incredibly dangerous, the player is completely defenseless, which is why it was blown a free. Laughable how taking a player out of the game like that is lauded as some sort of good thing. Comer's hardly the type to be soft and stay down in that regard either, but had to be carried off. A hit like that is more cowardly than manly, hitting someone who cant possibly defend it.

Dry your eyes Peyton. Won't Comer get his vengeance on Sunday week? Sure I only posted the clip because Syferus was telling us how Comer is going to lord the square like the young god he is. I'm sure we're all in for an exhibition. I can't wait, myself.

seafoid

I think Rochford brings something to Mayo . But the forwards don't score enough. And there is a lot of pulling up short since 2011 which must reside somewhere in the groupthink. They have more experience. On the other hand they have been on the go a while.
This year is probably their last throw of the dice. They will get to the last 8 regardless of this match.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 31, 2017, 10:26:45 PM
I think Rochford brings something to Mayo . But the forwards don't score enough. And there is a lot of pulling up short since 2011 which must reside somewhere in the groupthink. They have more experience. On the other hand they have been on the go a while.
This year is probably their last throw of the dice. They will get to the last 8 regardless of this match.

God we have heard that before. It's up there with Dillon and Andy retiring year on year! The Gas thing is that they are still a young bunch in the main! And players are coming through, un-noticed by the media. Take a look at the line up for the connacht final in 2011.

Only 6 of that team would be guaranteed to start against Galway, and you could not be sure of that! The rest are gone, retired, dropped or squad players. Mayo won't win an All Ireland this year. Dublin is just to much an ask to beat!

Rossfan

I'd say ye'll walk the AI this year and poor Syfín will soil his underwear  with pride.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Cunny Funt

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 31, 2017, 11:03:13 PM

God we have heard that before. It's up there with Dillon and Andy retiring year on year! The Gas thing is that they are still a young bunch in the main! And players are coming through, un-noticed by the media. Take a look at the line up for the connacht final in 2011.

Only 6 of that team would be guaranteed to start against Galway, and you could not be sure of that! The rest are gone, retired, dropped or squad players. Mayo won't win an All Ireland this year. Dublin is just to much an ask to beat!

That picture was taken in MacHale park and the Connacht final in 2011 wasnt played there.

In 2011 Keith Higgins, Donal Vaughan, Aidan O'Shea, Seamus O'Shea; Kevin McLoughlin,Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Cillian O'Connor,Jason Doherty,Ger Cafferkey featured for Mayo in the championship and will again this summer. Add in the likes of Keegan,Parsons,Clarke,Barrett,Barry Moran that was on the 2010 panel is 15 players on the current panel I count with a lot of mileage on the clock and 11 of that 15 will probably start v Galway.

seafoid

Mayo have tended to change the forwards since the early iterations. Various options needed to be improved. Backs and midfield have more of the mileage .There was never much in the big matches. Maybe Rochford's second season will get them over the line. It is all psychological at this stage.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 01, 2017, 12:56:59 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 31, 2017, 11:03:13 PM

That picture was taken in MacHale park and the Connacht final in 2011 wasnt played there.

In 2011 Keith Higgins, Donal Vaughan, Aidan O'Shea, Seamus O'Shea; Kevin McLoughlin,Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Cillian O'Connor,Jason Doherty,Ger Cafferkey featured for Mayo in the championship and will again this summer. Add in the likes of Keegan,Parsons,Clarke,Barrett,Barry Moran that was on the 2010 panel is 15 players on the current panel I count with a lot of mileage on the clock and 11 of that 15 will probably start v Galway.

Apologies picture is from Connacht semi-final!

DJGaliv

I don't think it will matter on Sunday week, whether Galway are due to get that long awaited championship win in Croker this summer, or if it's Mayo's "last throw of the dice" for Sam with this group of players.
What matters is dogged Connacht championship football over 70 + minutes.

In general we get a bit too hung up on having good young teams coming through, or 3/4/5 year plans. At this stage all it matters is the next 3/4 months with regard players age or hunger in order to win an All-Ireland.

Hopefully Comer will have plenty of football in him by the time of the game as he looked understandably rusty against Kildare. I felt Cafferkey looked a bit rusty too after his layoff. We'll see how much these lads will have come on by June 11th in that interesting battle.

seafoid

It's very different to 20 years ago when Galway v Mayo had only one winner with the right to go further. Although I have to say last year felt different with Galway avoiding the qualifiers. And the denouement did not meet expectations. It will be interesting to see what they learn from that. I would love to see both teams making it to the last 4

Farrandeelin

What's Section K in the stand like?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

https://www.joe.ie/sport/gaa-hour-live-headed-galway-want-join-us-590278

The GAA Championships are in full swing and arguably the biggest football match of the year thus far will take place in Salthill on 11 June.

Last year's beaten All-Ireland finalists Mayo eased their way back on to the road to Croker with a win over Sligo, but next up is a trip to Galway to take on their most fierce rivals in a Connacht SFC semi-finals.

Stephen Rochford's team are headed to Pearse Stadium in search of revenge for defeat at the same stage last year, but Kevin Walsh's National League Division 2 champions will be no pushovers.

A summer sizzler on a Salthill Sunday, the City of the Tribes promises to be hopping and we at SportsJOE are on hand to offer the perfect way to kickstart the weekend.

We've teamed up with our partners AIB again this year to take our GAA Hour Live show back on the road, pitching up at An Púcán in Galway City on Thursday 8 June, to preview Sunday's match and celebrate one of Gaelic football's greatest rivalries.

GAA Hour host Colm Parkinson will be joined by an all-star cast, including Galway legend and the bane of Mayomen Padraic Joyce, Derek Savage, with John Maughan and Conor Mortimer adding a Mayo perspective, plus Marc Ó Sé of Kerry.

Tickets are, of course, FREE but also limited, so please fill in the form below to register your interest to join us for an unmissable night of proper football chat.

WHERE: An Púcán, 11 Forster Street, Galway.

WHEN: Thursday, 8 June. Doors 6.30pm. Show starts @ 7.30pm.

cornetto

Mayo having their run around pearse stadium just now.get you cameras ready.