Is it 's or s'?

Started by theticklemister, March 30, 2017, 10:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 31, 2017, 01:57:08 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 31, 2017, 12:22:12 PM
Also "could've went" drives me bananas.

I've seen more "I seen" written down as well.
What's wrong with it?

Could have GONE, not WENT.
You should of known that, otherwise their was something wrong with you're education...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Esmarelda

Quote from: Tubberman on March 31, 2017, 02:30:21 PM

What's wrong with it?

You should of known that, otherwise their was something wrong with you're education...
Ahhhhhhh. It is one that I must admit I'm not on top of. Must try harder.

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 02:06:22 PM
The one in Derry is called, in English, Padraig Pearse's GAC.

The one in Roscommon, Galway and every other example I looked at, is called Padraig Pearses GAA Club.

The Limerick club is called Na Piarsaigh.
The should only be the 'One Pearse to rule them all'.

AZOffaly

This is why I like simple club names. Like 'Ferbane's corner forward made an absolutely pathetic attempt at goal.' or 'Newport's coach hasn't a clue about hurling OR football'.

LeoMc

Quote from: Tubberman on March 31, 2017, 02:30:21 PM

What's wrong with it?

:)

Main Street

Quote from: PW Nally on March 31, 2017, 01:02:20 PM
In our own little way we are all Padraig Pearses.
I'm reminded of the popular ditty,
'We all dream of a team of Padraig Pearses'.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on March 31, 2017, 02:01:05 PM
OK. I'm gonna a be Johann Sebastian Shakespeare.

Don't come Bach!

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 02:46:20 PM
This is why I like simple club names. Like 'Ferbane's corner forward made an absolutely pathetic attempt at goal.' or 'Newport's coach hasn't a clue about hurling OR football'.

Both straight from your press folder?

moysider

The one in Roscommon, Galway and every other example I looked at, is called Padraig Pearses GAA Club.

So the Limerick one translates as Pearses not Pearse?  Use of the plural in Irish too. Why I wonder?

rosnarun

I think the OP was looking for a general rule about accepted Grammar rather that a pissing contest  between people who are so insecure they feel the need to constantly correct other people's grammar and too thick to back down when proven wrong about a poorly translated Club Name. Perhaps?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on March 31, 2017, 04:32:03 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 02:46:20 PM

Both straight from your press folder?

No, from my wife.

Hardy

Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2017, 04:38:36 PM

So the Limerick one translates as Pearses not Pearse?  Use of the plural in Irish too. Why I wonder?

Geraldines, Rovers, Rangers, Pearses.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: joemamas on March 31, 2017, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on March 31, 2017, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 31, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: Minus15 on March 31, 2017, 09:08:43 AM
I am consistently annoyed at the amount of people that misuse the apostrophe every single day

This one wouldn't annoy me too much. What annoys me is the use of Their, There, They're.

One I always have to think about when writing it, is 'it's/its'.

It's a lovely day
Its colour.
Well it annoys me no end, almost as much as having missed this debate up until this point.
I think you're all right. I was with FOSB but I think Moysider makes a good point too. The problem is that the club made a balls of naming themselves.

I'm delighted to see so many posters having a very good grasp of the almost discarded apostrophe.

Mixing up Your and You're unforgivable. Seeing businesses make mistakes with the apostrophe in advertisements and the like and people adding an apostrophe before the s just for the craic in a professional setting are pretty bad.

Financial Director in my last place started every email with 'Guy's'

In the end I pulled her on it. Couldn't take it any more.

In the past, when I was sending emails to multiple parties, I was not sure how to begin salutation, if it was two I would go with "Dear Jack and Jill, if it was three I would use a ,
more than that I would go with "Hi everyone" or "To all", which sounded a bit too formal/bossy for my liking.

Anytime an email starts with "Guys," I straight away delete it. And I've never had a follow up request as to why I didn't reply or act on whatever was said. It's a great junk filter.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

supersub

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 31, 2017, 05:06:03 PM
Quote from: joemamas on March 31, 2017, 02:24:27 PM
Quote from: Minus15 on March 31, 2017, 11:35:42 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on March 31, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 09:19:55 AM
Quote from: Minus15 on March 31, 2017, 09:08:43 AM
I am consistently annoyed at the amount of people that misuse the apostrophe every single day

This one wouldn't annoy me too much. What annoys me is the use of Their, There, They're.

One I always have to think about when writing it, is 'it's/its'.

It's a lovely day
Its colour.
Well it annoys me no end, almost as much as having missed this debate up until this point.
I think you're all right. I was with FOSB but I think Moysider makes a good point too. The problem is that the club made a balls of naming themselves.

I'm delighted to see so many posters having a very good grasp of the almost discarded apostrophe.

Mixing up Your and You're unforgivable. Seeing businesses make mistakes with the apostrophe in advertisements and the like and people adding an apostrophe before the s just for the craic in a professional setting are pretty bad.

Financial Director in my last place started every email with 'Guy's'

In the end I pulled her on it. Couldn't take it any more.

In the past, when I was sending emails to multiple parties, I was not sure how to begin salutation, if it was two I would go with "Dear Jack and Jill, if it was three I would use a ,
more than that I would go with "Hi everyone" or "To all", which sounded a bit too formal/bossy for my liking.

Anytime an email starts with "Guys," I straight away delete it. And I've never had a follow up request as to why I didn't reply or act on whatever was said. It's a great junk filter.

Waow your cut throat.