Is it 's or s'?

Started by theticklemister, March 30, 2017, 10:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blanketattack

GAA clubs are like businesses or brands and they have now become acceptable to drop the apostrophe e.g. Dunnes Stores, Currys, Barclays bank, Jurys. Same has occurred for streets e.g. Jones Road

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 31, 2017, 01:16:22 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2017, 01:14:17 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 31, 2017, 01:06:40 AM
Quote from: moysider on March 31, 2017, 01:05:04 AM
On the contrary. You don't get the thing that the club does not belong to a Pearse or whoever. Just the members call themselves Pearses. Like they might call themselves Browns, Molloys, Burkes or the O Briens! Even though they are not all Pearses or O Briens or whatever. Chicago Bull players are not really bulls.

No, you actually don't, but sure keep digging.  ::)

Not digging at all. 100% correct. Bulls and Pearses are both labels. Both treated the same in a sentence. The possessive case for bulls no different for a person. No distinction.

Go back to the OP's original question, then maybe stop comparing apples and flying toaster ovens.

I already dealt with that. If a club is called Padraig Pearse's GAC then it's Pearse's mom etc. If its Austin Stacks best player then it is Stacks' mom. Take Charlestown Sarsfields. It will be Sarsfields' top scorer - not Sarsfield's top scorer.

Fear ón Srath Bán

The Chigago Bulls eh (pre-pluralised)?

How about something a little closer to home like Manchester United, or Liverpool, etc -- since when were reports of their players pluralised? It'll be Manchester United's this and Liverpool's fecking that, none of your oul s apostrophes there.  :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on March 31, 2017, 01:33:41 AM
The Chigago Bulls eh (pre-pluralised)?

How about something a little closer to home like Manchester United, or Liverpool, etc -- since when were reports of their players pluralised? It'll be Manchester United's this and Liverpool's fecking that, none of your oul s apostrophes there.  :P

The teams are  called Liverpool and Manchester United. Not Liverpools and Manchester Uniteds. Our teams are called Austin Stacks, Castlebar Mitchels, etc. looks like ours are 'pre-pluralised' as well as The Bulls. That is the label those clubs have.

ONeill

Jesus Christ. Holy fook.

FoSB, you'll never get it through to them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AZOffaly

Can we agree that the club in Derry, Padraig Pearse's GAC, would be Pearse's Midfielder, while the club in Galway, Padraig Pearses GAA Club, would be Pearses' midfielder?

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 08:15:38 AM
Can we agree that the club in Derry, Padraig Pearse's GAC, would be Pearse's Midfielder, while the club in Galway, Padraig Pearses GAA Club, would be Pearses' midfielder?

Of course, who would ever write it differently?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Hardy

Minus15

I am consistently annoyed at the amount of people that misuse the apostrophe every single day

AZOffaly

Quote from: armaghniac on March 31, 2017, 09:01:10 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 08:15:38 AM

Of course, who would ever write it differently?

I don't know. But I think this whole thread has been lads arguing at crossed purposes :) My whole point was that the apostrophe, in the way it is written in match reports etc, would be determined by the name of the club, rather than whether the club was named correctly in  grammatical terms. I didn't realise that these balubas in Derry were actually named Padraig Pearse's GAC, because I didn't bother my arse reading the first post properly!

Hardy, good one. That goes back to my point that the proper way to actually name the clubs is probably the person's name + GAA Club or whatever. Thomas Davis GAA, Padraig Pearse GAA, Sarsfield GAA, etc etc.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minus15 on March 31, 2017, 09:08:43 AM
I am consistently annoyed at the amount of people that misuse the apostrophe every single day

This one wouldn't annoy me too much. What annoys me is the use of Their, There, They're.

One I always have to think about when writing it, is 'it's/its'.

It's a lovely day
Its colour.

Esmarelda

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 09:19:55 AM

This one wouldn't annoy me too much. What annoys me is the use of Their, There, They're.

It's a lovely day
Its colour.
Well it annoys me no end, almost as much as having missed this debate up until this point.
I think you're all right. I was with FOSB but I think Moysider makes a good point too. The problem is that the club made a balls of naming themselves.

I'm delighted to see so many posters having a very good grasp of the almost discarded apostrophe.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on March 31, 2017, 09:07:32 AM
Thomas Davis.

Wow, two laughs generated by GAABoard in one week for me.  We're on the way back!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minus15

Quote from: Esmarelda on March 31, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 31, 2017, 09:19:55 AM

It's a lovely day
Its colour.
Well it annoys me no end, almost as much as having missed this debate up until this point.
I think you're all right. I was with FOSB but I think Moysider makes a good point too. The problem is that the club made a balls of naming themselves.

I'm delighted to see so many posters having a very good grasp of the almost discarded apostrophe.

Mixing up Your and You're unforgivable. Seeing businesses make mistakes with the apostrophe in advertisements and the like and people adding an apostrophe before the s just for the craic in a professional setting are pretty bad.

Financial Director in my last place started every email with 'Guy's'

In the end I pulled her on it. Couldn't take it any more.