Mayo v Donegal - Sunday 2nd April 2pm MacHale Park

Started by Farrandeelin, March 27, 2017, 05:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: bucko on April 01, 2017, 02:41:13 PM
A bit of stone throwing in glasshouses going on here, I doubt if any county is completely innocent from keeping a concussed player on the pitch.

So far in the league the following have all sat out games after going off with concusion in games
Mattie Donnelly v Dublin
Shane Enright v Mayo
Darren Hughes v Kerry

There might even be a couple more I missed.

Stands in stark contrast to Mayo's behaviour.

macdanger2

I think we definitely should be letting COC and Vaughan rest for this one, a poxy league game isn't worth a potential risk to their health.

Things like this should be out of the hands of the county management team though.

bucko

Quote from: twohands!!! on April 01, 2017, 02:48:27 PM
A bit of stone throwing in glasshouses going on here, I doubt if any county is completely innocent from keeping a concussed player on the pitch.

So far in the league the following have all sat out games after going off with concusion in games
Mattie Donnelly v Dublin
Shane Enright v Mayo
Darren Hughes v Kerry

According to injury update COC and Vaughan both passed SCAT3 head injury assessment protocols, the same ones adopted by World Rugby, so a recognised sports medicine protocol was used. I don't know if anything similar was used for the players mentioned above or if they just decided they're concussed, sit them out for this round. Ill agree that our management of concussed players has been below par, the Lee Keegan incident last year was particularly badly managed, that was an in match situation. Vaughan was removed after his injury last Sunday and COC's happened pretty much at full time and while the medical staff were dealing with Vaughan over the far side. As regards them being fit for this weekend if they've passed set down assessments then anything we think is s matter of opinion. I'm not condoning it, but until the GAA come out with defined policy of dealing with concussions it will continue as is.

Crete Boom

Quote from: bucko on April 01, 2017, 03:06:17 PM

Mattie Donnelly v Dublin
Shane Enright v Mayo
Darren Hughes v Kerry

According to injury update COC and Vaughan both passed SCAT3 head injury assessment protocols, the same ones adopted by World Rugby, so a recognised sports medicine protocol was used. I don't know if anything similar was used for the players mentioned above or if they just decided they're concussed, sit them out for this round. Ill agree that our management of concussed players has been below par, the Lee Keegan incident last year was particularly badly managed, that was an in match situation. Vaughan was removed after his injury last Sunday and COC's happened pretty much at full time and while the medical staff were dealing with Vaughan over the far side. As regards them being fit for this weekend if they've passed set down assessments then anything we think is s matter of opinion. I'm not condoning it, but until the GAA come out with defined policy of dealing with concussions it will continue as is.

Personally I would like to see them both get the weekend off.

Crete Boom

Mattie Donnelly v Dublin
Shane Enright v Mayo
Darren Hughes v Kerry

Alan Brogan was out for the count at the end of the drawn game against Mayo in 2015 and then played in the replay the following weekend. ( Not trying to pick on the Dubs by the way they are the best run team in all areas at the moment).
I think only a rule will stop counties taking chances with players health when there is something on the line.

blast05

Quote from: Crete Boom on April 01, 2017, 04:04:53 PM

Mattie Donnelly v Dublin
Shane Enright v Mayo
Darren Hughes v Kerry

Alan Brogan was out for the count at the end of the drawn game against Mayo in 2015 and then played in the replay the following weekend. ( Not trying to pick on the Dubs by the way they are the best run team in all areas at the moment).
I think only a rule will stop counties taking chances with players health when there is something on the line.

By using language like "taking chances with players health" .... you are questioning the professionalism of the Mayo medical team. Yes, for sure they got the Lee Keegan one wrong (over 12 months ago) but immediately put up their hands and said as much. Since then, there is nothing to suggest they are taking chances with players health - the opposite is the case.

Jinxy

Unfortunately, the Mayo medical team have been involved in multiple high-profile incidents in recent years where players were left on the field after a head injury, when they should have been removed immediately (and not let back) for their own safety.
1. Aidan O'Shea & Cillian O'Connor against Kerry in Limerick (2014).
2. Lee Keegan against Cork in the NFL (2016).
3. Cillian O'Connor against Tyrone (2017).
Maybe they're a bit unlucky in that all 3 games were televised and got a lot of attention, but regardless of that, it would seem that the penny has not dropped that you HAVE to get players off the field when they sustain an obvious head injury.
It doesn't matter who the player is, whether you're chasing the game or whether you're hanging on with 2 mins to go in an All-Ireland final.
If that player sustains another knock after the initial injury, it could have grave consequences for their health.
It's only a game, lads.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on April 01, 2017, 04:52:15 PM
Unfortunately, the Mayo medical team have been involved in multiple high-profile incidents in recent years where players were left on the field after a head injury, when they should have been removed immediately (and not let back) for their own safety.
Maybe they're a bit unlucky in that all 3 games were televised and got a lot of attention, but regardless of that, it would seem that the penny has not dropped that you HAVE to get players off the field when they sustain an obvious head injury.
It doesn't matter who the player is, whether you're chasing the game or whether you're hanging on with 2 mins to go in an All-Ireland final.
If that player sustains another knock after the initial injury, it could have grave consequences for their health.
It's only a game, lads.

It was the medical team that insisted they keep them off the field in Limerick against Kerry to go thorough concussion protocols though! A bit like a Mayo forward, damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to the doctors/ hurlers on the ditch.
The fact is all counties should be held to a medical standard set by the Gaa e.g. minium 10 ten day period of rest if you suffer a concussion in a match.

moysider

Quote from: Crete Boom on April 01, 2017, 06:11:39 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 01, 2017, 04:52:15 PM
It's only a game, lads.

It was the medical team that insisted they keep them off the field in Limerick against Kerry to go thorough concussion protocols though! A bit like a Mayo forward, damned if you do and damned if you don't when it comes to the doctors/ hurlers on the ditch.
The fact is all counties should be held to a medical standard set by the Gaa e.g. minium 10 ten day period of rest if you suffer a concussion in a match.

Of course. However both O Connor and Vaughan were given the all clear.

MayoBuck

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

maigheo

Mayo in big trouble.Down by 2 points playing with the strong breeze.Looks like we will be relying on our neighbors to help us out

J70

Mayo went 20 minutes without a score with the breeze.

0-11 to 1-5 coming up to the half.

maigheo

Its up to Roscommon to save us from the drop as Donegal in total control in Castlebar

J70