International Women's Day

Started by Dinny Breen, March 08, 2017, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Katie Taylor is a senior international soccer player as well .

A good role model . 

vallankumous

Quote from: ashman on March 08, 2017, 02:58:43 PM

A good role model .

Agreed, but that's comes way second to the fact that she is humble and grateful for all her achievements. Men get McGregor, women get Taylor. Women win.

The Gs Man

When it comes to positive role models for women you can look no further than Arlene Foster.
Keep 'er lit

ashman

Quote from: vallankumous on March 08, 2017, 03:13:16 PM

A good role model .

Agreed, but that's comes way second to the fact that she is humble and grateful for all her achievements. Men get McGregor, women get Taylor. Women win.

McGregor does what he needs to do in his discipline and more power and dollars to him.

Not a valid comparison .

vallankumous

Quote from: ashman on March 08, 2017, 03:19:49 PM

McGregor does what he needs to do in his discipline and more power and dollars to him.

Not a valid comparison .

I see, then there are no comparisons.

laoislad

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 08, 2017, 03:18:51 PM
When it comes to positive role models for women you can look no further than Arlene Foster.
Is she actually a she?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

PW Nally

Quote from: ashman on March 08, 2017, 03:19:49 PM
Quote from: vallankumous on March 08, 2017, 03:13:16 PM

A good role model .

Not a valid comparison .
As a role model for a 9 year old Katie smashes his mug all over the shop.

mouview

Adi Roche; tireless worker for Chernobyl children.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 08, 2017, 02:23:24 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 08, 2017, 01:30:57 PM
As someone with soon to be a 9 year old daughter I am always looking out for female role models. In the sporting terms or any term in Ireland we don't seem to have many, who are the leading female role models in Ireland?

Moya Doherty and Samantha Power?
Samantha Power? "Russia is to blame" Samantha Power?

AZOffaly

PW Nally

Lindsay Peat.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/multi-tasking-peat-burns-bright-as-rugby-becomes-latest-pursuit-1.2436337%3Fmode%3Damp

QuoteIt is unlikely that anything surprises anyone who knows Lindsay Peat anymore. This is a story about a rugby player but really it's about a Dublin footballer, an Irish basketball captain and an underage soccer international. Peat is all of these, rolled into one remarkable sporting life.

Take Your Points

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 08, 2017, 02:47:00 PM

Wow! Now that's definitely a story worth sharing with a 9 year old mad into her swimming.

Michelle Smyth

mick999

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 08, 2017, 01:30:57 PM
As someone with soon to be a 9 year old daughter I am always looking out for female role models. In the sporting terms or any term in Ireland we don't seem to have many, who are the leading female role models in Ireland?

Also I know this is probably the wrong forum as it's 99% male but curious is there female role models that cross gender...

Before someone suggests her, Katie Taylor to me is not a great role model, I find her inarticulate and too much hype involved a very very minority sport.

Conversely I find someone like Aisling Thompson very inspiring and articulate. Her ability on the camoige field and her campaign around mental health and suicide, to me that's inspiring...

Here's one for you :

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/ladies-football/is-this-the-busiest-woman-in-irish-sport-armagh-dual-star-and-flying-doctor-caroline-ohanlon-31380116.html

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2017/02/21/news/orchard-gaa-ladies-football-star-caroline-o-hanlon-returns-to-netball-s-british-superleague-938328/

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 08, 2017, 05:02:48 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 08, 2017, 02:47:00 PM

Wow! Now that's definitely a story worth sharing with a 9 year old mad into her swimming.

Michelle Smyth