International Women's Day

Started by Dinny Breen, March 08, 2017, 01:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

As someone with soon to be a 9 year old daughter I am always looking out for female role models. In the sporting terms or any term in Ireland we don't seem to have many, who are the leading female role models in Ireland?

Also I know this is probably the wrong forum as it's 99% male but curious is there female role models that cross gender...

Before someone suggests her, Katie Taylor to me is not a great role model, I find her inarticulate and too much hype involved a very very minority sport.

Conversely I find someone like Aisling Thompson very inspiring and articulate. Her ability on the camoige field and her campaign around mental health and suicide, to me that's inspiring...
#newbridgeornowhere

Rois

Sinead Kane, blind marathon runner is inspiring if you hear her speak.
Mary McAleese was/is my number 1.

Stall the Bailer

My role models have always been my family. Parents, grandparents siblings. I think it is always a good place to start and will have the biggest influence.

AZOffaly

Camogie and Ladies football has really taken off. As far a local role models to encourage young girls into sports and activity, you can't do much better.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 08, 2017, 01:30:57 PM
As someone with soon to be a 9 year old daughter I am always looking out for female role models. In the sporting terms or any term in Ireland we don't seem to have many, who are the leading female role models in Ireland?

Also I know this is probably the wrong forum as it's 99% male but curious is there female role models that cross gender...

Before someone suggests her, Katie Taylor to me is not a great role model, I find her inarticulate and too much hype involved a very very minority sport.

Conversely I find someone like Aisling Thompson very inspiring and articulate. Her ability on the camoige field and her campaign around mental health and suicide, to me that's inspiring...

Ratio of 10.4:1 so you might have more luck than you think.

Cora Staunton
Stephanie Roche if you're a fan of the soccer could be one.

Billys Boots

Always look as close to home as possible. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 08, 2017, 01:37:19 PM
My role models have always been my family. Parents, grandparents siblings. I think it is always a good place to start and will have the biggest influence.

Of course but that can be insular and protective, I would like my daughter to have a broader spectrum, challenge her thinking as she gets older. Look at successful women in sport, business, activism or politics and think yes I can do that, I can make a difference.

She is already surrounded by successful women, her mum is a chartered accountant, one Aunt is a psychologist, another a business executive so she has home role models, I just want to give her even wider eyes.
#newbridgeornowhere

laoislad

I think it's unfair to rule out Katie Taylor. She is the best in the world at her sport. Doesn't matter if it's a minority sport she still had to put in a massive about of work and commitment to get where she is. She also gives up her time for charities like the Special Olympics.
I think she is a great role model myself.
I had to google who Ashling Thompson was. Glad I did though... :o hubba hubba.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 08, 2017, 01:37:56 PM
Camogie and Ladies football has really taken off. As far a local role models to encourage young girls into sports and activity, you can't do much better.

Her baby sitter plays minor football for Kildare and u18 rugby for Leinster :)

Women's football is only getting bigger and since the skill level of goal-keepers started to rise a much better spectacle.
#newbridgeornowhere

armaghniac

Conversely I find someone like Aisling Thompson very inspiring and articulate. Her ability on the camoige field and her campaign around mental health a nd suicide, to me that's inspiring...

Anna-Lise Murphy is marshal of the Paddy's Day parade this year. Also a minority sport, I suppose.

Slaughtneil camogs.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dinny Breen

Quote from: laoislad on March 08, 2017, 01:55:43 PM
I think it's unfair to rule out Katie Taylor. She is the best in the world at her sport. Doesn't matter if it's a minority sport she still had to put in a massive about of work and commitment to get where she is. She also gives up her time for charities like the Special Olympics.
I think she is a great role model myself.
I had to google who Ashling Thompson was. Glad I did though... :o hubba hubba.

I don't want to diss on Katie but I do take issue with the adulation thrown her way, it's completely over the top for what she actually achieved. I do take on board her commitment but all HP athletes do that, majority without reward. For me I don't think she has ever or will ever use her position to make a real difference.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: armaghniac on March 08, 2017, 01:57:45 PM

Conversely I find someone like Aisling Thompson very inspiring and articulate. Her ability on the camoige field and her campaign around mental health a nd suicide, to me that's inspiring...

Anna-Lise Murphy is marshal of the Paddy's Day parade this year. Also a minority sport, I suppose.

Slaughtneil camogs.

Murphy is another HP athlete in a minority and privileged sport but she is young so definitely worth following her progress.

If Slaughtneil was in Kildare I would be all over that. An amazing success story for one club.
#newbridgeornowhere

Cunny Funt

Moya Doherty and Samantha Power?

HiMucker

Dinny Breen

Quote from: HiMucker on March 08, 2017, 02:32:59 PM
Google Yusra Mardini Dinny

Wow! Now that's definitely a story worth sharing with a 9 year old mad into her swimming.

Thanks.
#newbridgeornowhere