Dublin v Tyrone. 11/02/17. Croke Park, Dublin.

Started by omagh_gael, February 06, 2017, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandefender

Quote from: Syferus on February 12, 2017, 01:30:55 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 12, 2017, 01:27:28 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on February 12, 2017, 01:18:17 AM
I would say the last team dublin will want to play in Sept is tyrone

Why?

Tyrone rarely improve come the summertime like the big teams do.

Wise up you clown. We had that game won aside from the ref being an ejit. Best result for tyrone, we will get them again. Sludden, Harte and Bradley move to that elite level. We will get them down the line, bring it on! ps Dubs a great team to watch live, the sppeed! but sluddy!!!!

seafoid

Quote from: dublin7 on February 11, 2017, 11:40:39 PM
Quote from: redzone on February 11, 2017, 11:03:53 PM
For me a lot of Dublin players found out tonight when it was put upto them. Michaek darragh(seriously poty)+Kilkenny, brilliant when the thing is going well, but very average when it's put upto them. If only other teams carried the Tyrone self belief

Must try harder...... 31 games unbeaten now. If I was you I'd focus on finding a free taker in the county. None of the Tyrone players would have kicked that free at the end that got a draw.  Won't win anything without a reliable free taker
Tyrone County board are believed to be lobbying Congress to allow for frees to be handpassed over the bar . They have been arguing for volleyball serves .

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on February 12, 2017, 01:30:55 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 12, 2017, 01:27:28 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on February 12, 2017, 01:18:17 AM
I would say the last team dublin will want to play in Sept is tyrone

Why?

Tyrone rarely improve come the summertime like the big teams do.

Nah, Tyrone have never improved during the summer.  ::) We have no tradition whatsoever of improving through the summer months, in the qualifiers for example.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: maigheo on February 12, 2017, 01:51:15 AM
For me a lot of Dublin players found out tonight when it was put upto them. Michaek darragh(seriously poty)+Kilkenny, brilliant when the thing is going well, but very average when it's put upto them. If only other teams carried the Tyrone self belief
This has to be the Bomber or syferus hacking into this account.There is nobody else that could think like this.

Tyrone have copied donegal and taken it up a notch by getting all their players back inside their 45. It really is brutal to watch for neutrals.  To be honest it resembles basketball and I'm not a fan of basketball. Dublin, not long back from their holidays and without Connolly, were there for the taking last night and harte and tyrone will be absolutely gutted not to have put them away when they were 5 points up in a low scoring game in the last 10 minutes. Tyrone gave it their best shot last night and were found wanting, when Dublin up the ante by july and august there will only be one winner if these 2 teams meet.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on February 12, 2017, 08:31:29 AM
This has to be the Bomber or syferus hacking into this account.There is nobody else that could think like this.

Tyrone have copied donegal and taken it up a notch by getting all their players back inside their 45. It really is brutal to watch for neutrals.  To be honest it resembles basketball and I'm not a fan of basketball. Dublin, not long back from their holidays and without Connolly, were there for the taking last night and harte and tyrone will be absolutely gutted not to have put them away when they were 5 points up in a low scoring game in the last 10 minutes. Tyrone gave it their best shot last night and were found wanting, when Dublin up the ante by july and august there will only be one winner if these 2 teams meet.

Maybe...but at least Tyrone (and Mayo) are prepared to try and compete with the Dubs and not roll over and have our bellies tickled. For all the feeble counties in Leinster and others like Armagh and Roscommon who appear to have given up, you should be thanking Tyrone for at least providing some competitive football. It seems like the rest of Ireland are happy to just sit back and admire as Dublin steamroll their way to All Ireland after All Ireland, whilst criticizing those trying to compete!  Lenny, you'd give your right arm for Armagh to be as competitive as Tyrone were last night and you won't give a damn what it looks like.

yellowcard

;D ;D ;D

Never knew a league game in February carried as much weight. Dublin might not win the AI this year since they will find it difficult to keep going to the well and maintain hunger levels. It is why Gavin gave them the entire O'Byrne cup off whilst Tyrone were going hell for leather in January to win 6 in a row. Dublin need to focus on being fresh for July/August and it really would have helped if Tyrone had beaten them last night to rid themselves of the burden of this long unbeaten run. They would have still ended up in the top 4 at the end of the league regardless.

Tyrone have struggled mentally against the top teams in recent years and have an inability to close out and win tight games in Croke Park. Although it was only a league match, they had a golden chance to beat a top side last night and blew it. I suspect Harte will have been happy with what he seen overall though since I think they are well positioned to make the last 4 at least this season, even if I think they lack the class up front to actually win it.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: omagh_gael on February 12, 2017, 12:31:46 AM
Bradley's sending off was a killer. Our game plan takes a huge hit when we lose a man. Left too much space for the 14 men to cover.

I'm not convinced going down to 14 was really such a factor. Dublin played the last few minutes with 14 too. Tyrone tried to defend the lead having got a few clear. This rarely works and I don't know Tyrone persist with it.

I know the suggestion is that Mickey is still working to find the right balance between defence and attack. It's still weighted a good bit too far in favour of defence IMO. Also don't see the point in putting such a massive effort into playing this way when we don't have somebody to knock over the frees. You'd need to be as efficient as possible with whatever chances you get to make this work and Tyrone don't really seem to be making much progress with that. I'd rather see them commit more to attack, there are some lovely attacking players on that panel.

However, this is the style we are going to go with. It was a good performance accordingly. Mattie Donnelly coming back in improves that team considerably and Tyrone will get better and fitter with more games. The idea they are at summer fitness and intensity already is daft, they are noticably sharper than even just a few weeks ago.

sam03/05

Dublin were getting as many men behind ball as Tyrone were.
Rte radio were on about Tyrone putting men behind the ball, but I looked up
After 3 or 4 mins in the second half and Dublin had every single player inside their 45.
The two teams were playing a similar style - yet only one team get the blame.

sam03/05

Going down to 14 men was a massive factor - Tyrone were on top at that stage 5 points ahead
They were getting great joy off Cluctons kick outs and he was having an off night
After that they had to concede the kick out which invited massive Dublin pressure

theticklemister

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2017, 08:42:34 AM

Lenny couldn't give a f**k about Armagh as he is a Derry man.

Maybe...but at least Tyrone (and Mayo) are prepared to try and compete with the Dubs and not roll over and have our bellies tickled. For all the feeble counties in Leinster and others like Armagh and Roscommon who appear to have given up, you should be thanking Tyrone for at least providing some competitive football. It seems like the rest of Ireland are happy to just sit back and admire as Dublin steamroll their way to All Ireland after All Ireland, whilst criticizing those trying to compete!  Lenny, you'd give your right arm for Armagh to be as competitive as Tyrone were last night and you won't give a damn what it looks like.

Rois

Quote from: sam03/05 on February 12, 2017, 09:24:35 AM

They were getting great joy off Cluctons kick outs and he was having an off night

At one stage Cluxton gifted us the ball and it was completely wasted.
Let's not kid ourselves that last night's game didn't re-expose the problem of a limited supply of strong, ball winning forwards and we have no chance of making significant progress without more of them. Sean could do a job in there.

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on February 12, 2017, 09:28:08 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2017, 08:42:34 AM

Lenny couldn't give a f**k about Armagh as he is a Derry man.

Meh, Derry? Armagh? - they're all the same! Same point applies 😜

screenexile

Yeah these lads with 4 All  Irelands to their name ... you know they're not worth talking about when they have an off day in February in the National League . . . Jesus wept!!

tyroneman

Disappointed not to win that match. Dublin were there for the taking.

As has been mentioned ad nauseum, Tyrone lack that marquee forward to put games like this to bed. From the half forward line back we are a match for anyone but we just don't have that 1 killer point taker. Had we converted even 20% of our wides from the first half.....   

McQuillan was awful. Didn't let play go and did  all he could to keep Dublin in the game. The sending off was dubious and the final equalising free was just plain wrong. McMahon (or was it Fitzsimmons ?) spilled the ball untouched. Each of the last frees Dublin got was cheaper than the one before.

Don't know what people expect Tyrone to do a man down and playing against against a gale force wind..  go all out attack,  man to man?

Will be a team no one likes to play but in the continued absence of a forward line and free taker......no Sam in 2017

lenny

Quote from: yellowcard on February 12, 2017, 08:46:00 AM

;D ;D ;D

Never knew a league game in February carried as much weight. Dublin might not win the AI this year since they will find it difficult to keep going to the well and maintain hunger levels. It is why Gavin gave them the entire O'Byrne cup off whilst Tyrone were going hell for leather in January to win 6 in a row. Dublin need to focus on being fresh for July/August and it really would have helped if Tyrone had beaten them last night to rid themselves of the burden of this long unbeaten run. They would have still ended up in the top 4 at the end of the league regardless.

Tyrone have struggled mentally against the top teams in recent years and have an inability to close out and win tight games in Croke Park. Although it was only a league match, they had a golden chance to beat a top side last night and blew it. I suspect Harte will have been happy with what he seen overall though since I think they are well positioned to make the last 4 at least this season, even if I think they lack the class up front to actually win it.

The problem isn't up front for tyrone. They have excellent forwards if they were let play there. The big problem is the defenders are crap which means they need another 7 or 8 players back to help them out. If peter canavan had been asked to continually run back inside his own 45 and then sprint forward to get on the end of moves he would look average also. A lot of tyrone supporters are getting fed up with this negative style also. Only 6,000 for a home game last week which was the lowest attendance in division 1 and only 28k there last night which was a far cry from the support they had a few years ago.