Dublin v Tyrone. 11/02/17. Croke Park, Dublin.

Started by omagh_gael, February 06, 2017, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

I was also happy to see Morgan driving a few kickouts long in the game as I think we have been too predictable with the short kickouts in the past few years and the strategy badly backfired in the 2015 semi with Kerry. How it would fare against Mayo or Kerry, I don't know. Dublin are quite like us in that they go with mobile, athletic players in the middle of the field rather than big towers who can field.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 12, 2017, 06:50:55 PM
I was also happy to see Morgan driving a few kickouts long in the game as I think we have been too predictable with the short kickouts in the past few years and the strategy badly backfired in the 2015 semi with Kerry. How it would fare against Mayo or Kerry, I don't know. Dublin are quite like us in that they go with mobile, athletic players in the middle of the field rather than big towers who can field.

Sean took a great mark from a long kick out in the second half. Although in general I think the mark is not needed, I could see the merit in that instance as he fell on landing. Nice to see the catch rewarded and the player able to avoid getting swallowed up.
That was never a square ball!!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: tyroneman on February 12, 2017, 11:59:34 AM

Don't know what people expect Tyrone to do a man down and playing against against a gale force wind..  go all out attack,  man to man?

But they weren't a man down for that long. Dubs played last 11 minutes with 14 men. They got a number of scores in that period as Tyrone tried to defend their lead. I'm not expecting to go all out attack in such circumstances but another score or two would have won the game. Tyrone didn't score at all in the final 20 minutes.

mrdeeds

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2017, 07:06:19 PM

Sean took a great mark from a long kick out in the second half. Although in general I think the mark is not needed, I could see the merit in that instance as he fell on landing. Nice to see the catch rewarded and the player able to avoid getting swallowed up.

He also used that mark to lie down and waste time. Saw some great examples of mark from Hughes boys today.

Moortown Spuds

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 12, 2017, 07:28:11 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2017, 07:06:19 PM
I was also happy to see Morgan driving a few kickouts long in the game as I think we have been too predictable with the short kickouts in the past few years and the strategy badly backfired in the 2015 semi with Kerry. How it would fare against Mayo or Kerry, I don't know. Dublin are qulite like us in that they go with mobile, athletic players in the middle of the field rather than big towers who can field.

He also used that mark to lie down and waste time. Saw some great examples of mark from Hughes boys today.

Sean was up before McMahon who was also receiving attention at the time.

Maroon Manc

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on February 12, 2017, 07:25:38 PM
Quote from: tyroneman on February 12, 2017, 11:59:34 AM

Don't know what people expect Tyrone to do a man down and playing against against a gale force wind..  go all out attack,  man to man?

But they weren't a man down for that long. Dubs played last 11 minutes with 14 men. They got a number of scores in that period as Tyrone tried to defend their lead. I'm not expecting to go all out attack in such circumstances but another score or two would have won the game. Tyrone didn't score at all in the final 20 minutes.

They had chances in that period, Sludden had the effort hawkeye ruled out, he also hit the post with a fisted effort. The free at the end was a nonsense decision, I thought it might have been give because he thought Harte handled it on the ground  when he clearly didn't but seemingly he imagined there was some sort of foul there.

If it was a game that really meant something then I'd have been raging at that decision.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 12, 2017, 09:02:34 PM
What age is Sludden?

Was part of the 2010 winning minor side so will be 25 this year at some point.

Would have been on the county side a few years earlier only for he suffered a dreadful double leg break with Dromore.

A class act.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Mc Quillan had his usual inconsistent and wildly erratic effort, and did actually have a gratuitous influence on the final score (only he can shed light on why Mc Cann was black carded, where more cynical infringements went unpunished, and why he awarded a free at all for the equalising score).  Just so long as our lads remember his county when out next day against the Cavan men in Healy! ;) :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

macdanger2

Mccann's black card was a joke as was the last free. Bradley's red didn't even look like a yellow unless something other than what was shown there happened

macdanger2

Throw ball

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 12, 2017, 09:08:39 PM
Mc Quillan had his usual inconsistent and wildly erratic effort, and did actually have a gratuitous influence on the final score (only he can shed light on why Mc Cann was black carded, where more cynical infringements went unpunished, and why he awarded a free at all for the equalising score).  Just so long as our lads remember his county when out next day against the Cavan men in Healy! ;) :)

Not a great fan of McQuillan and do not feel McCann should have got a black card but I can see why a full speed he thought it wasounded.  The last free was ridiculous.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Throw ball on February 12, 2017, 11:14:09 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 12, 2017, 09:08:39 PM

Not a great fan of McQuillan and do not feel McCann should have got a black card but I can see why a full speed he thought it wasounded.  The last free was ridiculous.

McCann's black card did look understandable at the time but there were far more blatant ones not punished.

Il Bomber Destro

Watching the game back now.

Petey ran into an awful lot of tackles in the game, very unlike him. The misses were bad looking back on them, closes misses with the majority being within a foot or so but that won't cut it.

Il Bomber Destro

Our foot passing was brilliant last night as well.