Dublin v Tyrone. 11/02/17. Croke Park, Dublin.

Started by omagh_gael, February 06, 2017, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringbean

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2017, 09:08:37 PM
Far cry from the 80,000 attendance at the corresponding fixture 10 years ago.People getting pissed off with robotic football and blanket defences

Given that was the first game in croke park under lights I would anticipate a bigger crowd.....

To be fair I dare say that anyone who attended the match tonight found it enjoyable - tight, tense and plenty of talking points

Main Street

Quote from: screenexile on February 11, 2017, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2017, 08:24:31 PM
From what we were shown in the slo mo replay, Bradley's barge into Cooper looked hard enough but well within the run of mill innocuous category, not worthy of notice.

There was some relief from this spectacle, with the 10 seconds from Tralee.

They had talked about there being a wrestling match between the 2 lads there had to be more went on than we saw.
It was a bit of a stretch, an innocent Tyrone player hard done over by a ref. :D
We should just assume the ref gets it right, until proven otherwise.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: screenexile on February 11, 2017, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2017, 08:24:31 PM
From what we were shown in the slo mo replay, Bradley's barge into Cooper looked hard enough but well within the run of mill innocuous category, not worthy of notice.

There was some relief from this spectacle, with the 10 seconds from Tralee.

They had talked about there being a wrestling match between the 2 lads there had to be more went on than we saw.

Was listening on the radio, before the referee had brandished any cards they said something along the lines of 'technically he pushed him in the face, you could get a red for that'.

DuffleKing

Serious question for Tyrone men... Mickey has assembled some serious athletes with no small amount of freaky pace sprinkled through the team. There are also some serious ball players in the team also. The question is, are you happy to watch and support this style of play? You are undoubtedly the hardest team in the hardest team in the country to play against because you defend with 13/14 in layers inside your half. Obviously that means the ball can largely only be run - which they do very well.

Effective but very hard to watch with and without the ball.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: T Fearon on February 11, 2017, 09:08:37 PM
Far cry from the 80,000 attendance at the corresponding fixture 10 years ago.People getting pissed off with robotic football and blanket defences

Parnell park didn't sell out when the teams met in 2004 or early in the 2000s and it held 12000 or so. So we must be currently in a better era of football than then by that logic. Good intense close game, hard to expect much more on a bad night in February.

sam03/05

Happened in front of me - Bradley did fk all not even a booking.
McQuillan had a disgraceful performance overall

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: DuffleKing on February 11, 2017, 09:32:47 PM

Serious question for Tyrone men... Mickey has assembled some serious athletes with no small amount of freaky pace sprinkled through the team. There are also some serious ball players in the team also. The question is, are you happy to watch and support this style of play? You are undoubtedly the hardest team in the hardest team in the country to play against because you defend with 13/14 in layers inside your half. Obviously that means the ball can largely only be run - which they do very well.

The system can definitely lead to.some.very scrappy passages of play, but some of the counter attacking football is breathtaking when done well.
I could watch players like sludden, harte and myler in full flow all day.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

BennyHarp

I genuinely don't find it hard to watch. I think there is a hugely unappreciated skill in tackling without fouling. i think we are still work in progress with regards to the the attacking aspect of the game plan. We move the ball fairly effortlessly into the opponents half but struggle to be as clinical as the style of play requires. I think it is good to watch when teams tackle in numbers, force a turn over and fast break in numbers too. I appreciate others don't enjoy the style and can understand why, but I don't understand  why people can't accept that different teams bring different styles and game plans to the table. For me, it makes the game more interesting than watching teams roll over to Dublin trying to match them when clearly the gulf is huge.
That was never a square ball!!

trileacman

We were something like the highest scoring team in the country in 2013 or something like that. I think we were the highest scoring team in the 2013 league at the least. All the same our approach wasn't working and to be fair to Micky he tried different things and settled on the current style/tactics. It's not pretty but I actually don't really care as long as it's successful.

If I wanted to watch flowing football I'd support arsenal. Donegal played lovely flowing football under Mc Ivor and Mc eniff 2.0. Jimmy's style was dirge by comparison but 100% of Donegal folks will tell you which era they enjoyed the most.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

dublin7

Tyrone scored their goal & for the rest of the game kept all 14 players in their own half of the pitch.  No rule against it but there should be. Incredibly negative and terrible to watch.

Tyrone perfect example of modern football team. They are all fit and run up/down the pitch handpass after handpass but their kicking was dreadful. Kicked some shocking wides in 1st half when under no pressure.

BennyHarp

Quote from: dublin7 on February 11, 2017, 10:05:56 PM
Tyrone scored their goal & for the rest of the game kept all 14 players in their own half of the pitch.  No rule against it but there should be. Incredibly negative and terrible to watch.

Tyrone perfect example of modern football team. They are all fit and run up/down the pitch handpass after handpass but their kicking was dreadful. Kicked some shocking wides in 1st half when under no pressure.

Not the first team to go very defensive when 5 points up, a man down and 10 mins left against a team like Dublin, I'd imagine.
That was never a square ball!!

J70

Quote from: trileacman on February 11, 2017, 10:02:47 PM

We were something like the highest scoring team in the country in 2013 or something like that. I think we were the highest scoring team in the 2013 league at the least. All the same our approach wasn't working and to be fair to Micky he tried different things and settled on the current style/tactics. It's not pretty but I actually don't really care as long as it's successful.

If I wanted to watch flowing football I'd support arsenal. Donegal played lovely flowing football under Mc Ivor and Mc eniff 2.0. Jimmy's style was dirge by comparison but 100% of Donegal folks will tell you which era they enjoyed the most.

Jimmy's style was fantastic on the eye in 2012 when all were playing well and injuries were not much of a factor and most other teams hadn't decided to pile back themselves. The fast breaks were thrilling to watch - that third quarter against Cork in the 2012 semi is up there with the Dublin 14 semi and the 92 final in terms of the best football we've ever seen from a Donegal team. The break that went the full length of the field and led to the 2nd goal against Mayo was amazing.

But, the extreme shite of the past two years needs to stop, not least because its not working anyway. The noises from Rory Gallagher and the tactics against Kerry last week suggest that they're at least trying out a more traditional approach. We'll see if it lasts once the pressure comes on. I hope it does. This season is a gimme anyway for Donegal, so he has nothing to lose.

redzone

For me a lot of Dublin players found out tonight when it was put upto them. Michaek darragh(seriously poty)+Kilkenny, brilliant when the thing is going well, but very average when it's put upto them. If only other teams carried the Tyrone self belief

Boycey

Quote from: redzone on February 11, 2017, 11:03:53 PM
For me a lot of Dublin players found out tonight when it was put upto them. Michaek darragh(seriously poty)+Kilkenny, brilliant when the thing is going well, but very average when it's put upto them. If only other teams carried the Tyrone self belief

4 times All Ireland winners 'found out' in a league game in February and them just back off their holidays 😄. Over react much?

Main Street

Quote from: Boycey on February 11, 2017, 11:11:03 PM
Quote from: redzone on February 11, 2017, 11:03:53 PM

4 times All Ireland winners 'found out' in a league game in February and them just back off their holidays 😄. Over react much?
You've gotta love redzone's fanaticism though.

Tyrone were at their savage intensity but the Dubs looked as if they were just out of hibernation.