GAA not interested in getting money to change the name of Porky Croky

Started by seafoid, November 26, 2016, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Rossfan

As compensation for the showers of ***""s we're saddled with as neighbours!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

JPGJOHNNYG

Take the money!!!! 3m a year sounds low to me the IRFU 6 years ago agreed a 40 or 50 million 10 yr deal. I reckon Croke would get something similar and lets be honest after 6 yrs Lansdowne Road is still Lansdowne road no-one calls it the Aviva. 50 million would go along way in doing up some of the other grounds around the country.

BennyCake

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 26, 2016, 03:01:43 PM
Take the money!!!! 3m a year sounds low to me the IRFU 6 years ago agreed a 40 or 50 million 10 yr deal. I reckon Croke would get something similar and lets be honest after 6 yrs Lansdowne Road is still Lansdowne road no-one calls it the Aviva. 50 million would go along way in doing up some of the other grounds around the country.

It will become like the PL. It will lose it's identity.

And there's been a goal at the Bet365 stadium...where the feck is that?

Jinxy

That's not true.
It was for a while after the naming rights were sold, but now it's simply 'The Aviva' for most people.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

JPGJOHNNYG

^^Disagree but even if you are correct what does it matter it could be called the durex arena or the british airways stadium big deal if you dont like it then keep calling it croke park but 50 million is not to be sniffed at.

JPGJOHNNYG

The sponsors name will change with new deals over the years but its still going to be croke park.  The FA cup has been sponsored for 20 years does anyone know whats its been called other than the FA cup ?????  If sponsors want to waste money then let them

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on November 26, 2016, 03:18:23 PM

That's not true.
It was for a while after the naming rights were sold, but now it's simply 'The Aviva' for most people.
That's cos the meeja call it the Aviva.RTE never call it Lansdowne Road. Also Aviva is easier to spell....
The french meeja call it Lansdowne Road all the time.

Aviva could collapse in the next crash. Companies do not last as long as they used to.

The League Cup in England is the poster child for sponsorship consistency. It used to be the Milk cup.  At some stage it was the Littlewoods cup. It has gone through about 10 name changes. Deregulated  capitalism is not stable.

I would say the GAA is a harder corporate sell as well. Cos iI is purely domestic. The last time I was in CP I was looking at the corporate boxes. A lot belonged to companies who were destroyed in 2008  . Irish Life would have cut down on the flaithiúlachas for example. Irish Nationwide no longer exists.

It is hard enough to get sponsors for the All Ireland series as well. Etihad may be a fair weather friend.

Zulu

That's not true.

I agree, you very rarely hear it called Lansdown Road anymore.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on November 26, 2016, 05:28:56 PM

That's not true.

I agree, you very rarely here it be called Lansdown Road anymore.

I always call it Lansdowne road as does everyone that knows me. I never call the point the three arena or O2 as it was once called either.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2016, 05:09:32 PM

That's not true.
That's cos the meeja call it the Aviva.RTE never call it Lansdowne Road. Also Aviva is easier to spell....
The french meeja call it Lansdowne Road all the time.

Aviva could collapse in the next crash. Companies do not last as long as they used to.

The League Cup in England is the poster child for sponsorship consistency. It used to be the Milk cup.  At some stage it was the Littlewoods cup. It has gone through about 10 name changes. Deregulated  capitalism is not stable.

I would say the GAA is a harder corporate sell as well. Cos iI is purely domestic. The last time I was in CP I was looking at the corporate boxes. A lot belonged to companies who were destroyed in 2008  . Irish Life would have cut down on the flaithiúlachas for example. Irish Nationwide no longer exists.

It is hard enough to get sponsors for the All Ireland series as well. Etihad may be a fair weather friend.

I think Etihad's sponsorship ended last week?

Totally against naming Croke Park anything other than Croke Park. It has too much history (not just sporting) to be sold away for €30m. The article explains why they're talking about €3m a year for anyone who thinks it's worth more.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Zulu on November 26, 2016, 05:28:56 PM

That's not true.

I agree, you very rarely hear it called Lansdown Road anymore.

When I hear Lansdowne Road I picture the old stadium, when I hear the Aviva I picture the bedpan.

Like hardstation, I'd be concerned that McKenna is putting the feelers out.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...