GAA not interested in getting money to change the name of Porky Croky

Started by seafoid, November 26, 2016, 10:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

It didn't sound like he was putting the feelers out at all - it just sounded like the indo tried to put as negative a slant on the story as it could - 'gaa happy to spurn...'  ::)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: haranguerer on November 28, 2016, 11:04:25 AM
It didn't sound like he was putting the feelers out at all - it just sounded like the indo tried to put as negative a slant on the story as it could - 'gaa happy to spurn...'  ::)

In a book published in 2013, Páraic Duffy told the Irish Examiner journalist Michael Moynihan in a lengthy series of quotes that the GAA would not sell TV rights to Sky and that the reason for this was that it could not do so even if only 10% of the population didn't have Sky. The logic was straightforward: 'There's a sense that the GAA belongs to everybody in Ireland, that it's in every parish and village, and that there'd be enormous resistance if we were to take the games off free-to-air, even though the majority of the population probably has access to Sky. GAAconomics: The Secret Life of Money in the GAA (2013), chapter 16.

Six months after the publication of that book the GAA announced its deal with Sky.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

haranguerer

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: haranguerer on November 28, 2016, 12:33:14 PM
Doesn't sound like he was putting feelers out either.

You can be sure that they are gauging the reaction to all these pieces. They don't just wake up one morning and decide to completely change their viewpoint from a few months previous for no good reason.

haranguerer

Of course, but I don't think Peter McKenna rang the indo and asked them to write down his musings on the matter. Whatever the interview was initially about, they've chosen their own focus and headline.

Jeepers Creepers

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: haranguerer on November 28, 2016, 01:56:35 PM
Of course, but I don't think Peter McKenna rang the indo and asked them to write down his musings on the matter. Whatever the interview was initially about, they've chosen their own focus and headline.

It's Martin Breheny. Someone had to put the idea in his head.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Aristo 60

I can't help but think of Orwell:

One night, all the animals at Mr. Jones' Manor Farm assemble in a barn to hear old Major, a pig, describe a dream he had about a world where all animals live free from the tyranny of their human masters. old Major dies soon after the meeting, but the animals — inspired by his philosophy of Animalism — plot a rebellion against Jones. Two pigs, Snowball and Napoleon, prove themselves important figures and planners of this dangerous enterprise. When Jones forgets to feed the animals, the revolution occurs, and Jones and his men are chased off the farm. Manor Farm is renamed Animal Farm, and the Seven Commandments of Animalism are painted on the barn wall.

Years pass and Animal Farm expands its boundaries after Napoleon purchases two fields from another neighboring farmer, Pilkington. Life for all the animals (except the pigs) is harsh. Eventually, the pigs begin walking on their hind legs and take on many other qualities of their former human oppressors. The Seven Commandments are reduced to a single law: "All Animals Are Equal / But Some Are More Equal Than Others." The novel ends with Pilkington sharing drinks with the pigs in Jones' house. Napoleon changes the name of the farm back to Manor Farm and quarrels with Pilkington during a card game in which both of them try to play the ace of spades. As other animals watch the scene from outside the window, they cannot tell the pigs from the humans.

haranguerer

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 28, 2016, 02:09:03 PM

Ah, fair enough

twohands!!!

Quote from: haranguerer on November 28, 2016, 03:00:00 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 28, 2016, 02:09:03 PM

Ah, fair enough

I'd imagine he was inspired by the fact that the Cork County Board are in the middle of negotiations for the sale of the naming rights for the new Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

johnneycool

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 28, 2016, 11:33:48 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 28, 2016, 11:04:25 AM

In a book published in 2013, Páraic Duffy told the Irish Examiner journalist Michael Moynihan in a lengthy series of quotes that the GAA would not sell TV rights to Sky and that the reason for this was that it could not do so even if only 10% of the population didn't have Sky. The logic was straightforward: 'There's a sense that the GAA belongs to everybody in Ireland, that it's in every parish and village, and that there'd be enormous resistance if we were to take the games off free-to-air, even though the majority of the population probably has access to Sky. GAAconomics: The Secret Life of Money in the GAA (2013), chapter 16.

Six months after the publication of that book the GAA announced its deal with Sky.

Michael Moynihan probably should have known better than to quote Duffy on that as all GAA officials need to master the art of saying one thing and doing another to get where he's got!

Farrandeelin

Just realised this was about Croke Park. Read the thread as Porky Corky and thought it was about Pairc Uí Chaoimh  :-[
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: seafoid on November 26, 2016, 05:09:32 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on November 26, 2016, 03:18:23 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 26, 2016, 03:01:43 PM
Take the money!!!! 3m a year sounds low to me the IRFU 6 years ago agreed a 40 or 50 million 10 yr deal. I reckon Croke would get something similar and lets be honest after 6 yrs Lansdowne Road is still Lansdowne road no-one calls it the Aviva. 50 million would go along way in doing up some of the other grounds around the country.

That's not true.
It was for a while after the naming rights were sold, but now it's simply 'The Aviva' for most people.
That's cos the meeja call it the Aviva.RTE never call it Lansdowne Road. Also Aviva is easier to spell....
The french meeja call it Lansdowne Road all the time.

Aviva could collapse in the next crash. Companies do not last as long as they used to.

The League Cup in England is the poster child for sponsorship consistency. It used to be the Milk cup.  At some stage it was the Littlewoods cup. It has gone through about 10 name changes. Deregulated  capitalism is not stable.

I would say the GAA is a harder corporate sell as well. Cos iI is purely domestic. The last time I was in CP I was looking at the corporate boxes. A lot belonged to companies who were destroyed in 2008  . Irish Life would have cut down on the flaithiúlachas for example. Irish Nationwide no longer exists.

It is hard enough to get sponsors for the All Ireland series as well. Etihad may be a fair weather friend.

dont fifa and Uefa insist on calling it the 'Dublin Stadium'
one of the main reasons Croke park would not be worth as much would be its ethical stance as i don't think they would accept money from Alcohol or Gambling (Or tobacco) who companies along with insurance companies the biggest sponsors out there .
though 20 MAJOR stadium has a nice ring to it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Eamonnca1

I await the usual "Grab All Association" accusations with great interest.