A Tyrone book

Started by seafoid, October 23, 2016, 12:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Its hard to warm to McCarron to be honest but I think he has released this book far too early. I think too many of the incidents are still too raw for him to reflect on with any real sense of detachment or maturity. Had he waited a few years he may have been able to handle the press rounds a little better and any potential recriminations and further allegations regarding the young girl would already be out in the open and he wouldn't have had to field these difficult questions when promoting the book.

Or maybe all the publicity is helping him shift a few more books and he's happy enough - I just feel that his road to redemption has a fair old way to go yet and I wouldn't be confident that he would be entirely sensible with any windfall he might receive from the book sales.
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 02, 2016, 01:12:04 PM
Its hard to warm to McCarron to be honest but I think he has released this book far too early. I think too many of the incidents are still too raw for him to reflect on with any real sense of detachment or maturity. Had he waited a few years he may have been able to handle the press rounds a little better and any potential recriminations and further allegations regarding the young girl would already be out in the open and he wouldn't have had to field these difficult questions when promoting the book.

Or maybe all the publicity is helping him shift a few more books and he's happy enough - I just feel that his road to redemption has a fair old way to go yet and I wouldn't be confident that he would be entirely sensible with any windfall he might receive from the book sales.

Correct, if he was genuinely remorseful for his actions he would be using the money to pay back some of the people he robbed from or some of his debts. I get the feeling though that he is really hungry for this money because he is doing a real hard sell on the book and is on doing so many interviews. That suggests to me that the money will not last long and for all the wrong reasons.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 02, 2016, 01:12:04 PM

I would agree with that!

The revelation about the sexual contact with the 15 year old is astounding and is probably a new revelation for most but dear lord!

He's massively rushed into this thing and he should have waited until he was further down the road to recovery. These things are easier to forgive the further in the past they are but a lot of his transgressions have been in the past year/2 years!!

Walter Cronc

Has he now came out and said he had relations with this 15 year old? I thought it was just messaging online or something?

seafoid

Quote from: Walter Cronc on December 02, 2016, 02:44:18 PM
Has he now came out and said he had relations with this 15 year old? I thought it was just messaging online or something?
They met in Kildare for  1 hour. She told her father she was meeting a friend.

tonto1888

Quote from: seafoid on December 02, 2016, 03:23:27 PM

so the sexual contact quote from above is speculation then?

general_lee

The father released a statement stating she had a test for HIV (tested for STDs to the rest of us) but whether that was necessary or not remains to be seen. McCarron seemed to deny sleeping with her

Main Street

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 02, 2016, 03:30:35 PM

McCarron was asked if he had sexual contact with the 15yo, he already said that he wasn't answering questions about that incident and refused to answer that question.
The problem was that once you take the 5th Amendment, you have to keep taking it for every question asked. McCarron answered some questions on that 'controversy'  but refused to answer others. That deliberate selection process enacted by McCarron  then implies something to hide or some guilt on the questiuons he refused to answer. The inference that listeners could easily take was that he had sexual contact but he just refused to admit it.
I can't emphasise enough the total stupidity involved, not just with him doing the interview and seeking publicity in the first place but handling it so badly as to virtually incriminate himself as one who had a meaningless (for him) sexual encounter with an underage girl.

Whether he did or not is now besides the point, because it now believable that such a self obsessed antisocial character  could do such an act.

JoG2

Quote from: Main Street on December 02, 2016, 04:16:03 PM

McCarron was asked if he had sexual contact with the 15yo, he already said that he wasn't answering questions about that incident and refused to answer that question.
The problem was that once you take the 5th Amendment, you have to keep taking it for every question asked. McCarron answered some questions on that 'controversy'  but refused to answer others. That deliberate selection process enacted by McCarron  then implies something to hide or some guilt on the questiuons he refused to answer. The inference that listeners could easily take was that he had sexual contact but he just refused to admit it.
I can't emphasise enough the total stupidity involved, not just with him doing the interview and seeking publicity in the first place but handling it so badly as to virtually incriminate himself as one who had a meaningless (for him) sexual encounter with an underage girl.

Whether he did or not is now besides the point, because it now believable that such a self obsessed antisocial character  could do such an act.

did he not say he was advised not to answer by his lawyer as there is an ongoing investigation relating to the girl?

Main Street

Quote from: JoG2 on December 02, 2016, 04:22:34 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 02, 2016, 04:16:03 PM

The problem was that once you take the 5th Amendment, you have to keep taking it for every question asked. McCarron answered some questions on that 'controversy'  but refused to answer others. That deliberate selection process enacted by McCarron  then implies something to hide or some guilt on the questions he refused to answer. The inference that listeners could easily take was that he had sexual contact but he just refused to admit it.

did he not say he was advised not to answer by his lawyer as there is an ongoing investigation relating to the girl?
He said something to that effect but he then enacted a selection process where he answered some easy questions connected to the controversy but refused to answer others.

WT4E

From what I made of it I would say is that in the way that Gilroy phrased the comment/Question he opened himself up to serious action so must have been confident in what he was saying so what happens now will probably indicate what happened:

1. Gilroy is sued by McCarron for saying this
2. McCarron does nothing to Gilroy

I think we all know what each option indicates. So wait and see now.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: EastTyrone on December 02, 2016, 11:05:07 AM
The interview shows that he clearly has more issues that just an addiction. 12 mentions of him taking part in violence in his book is astounding. These have no relations to addiction.

If you are being honest, if he was not a gaelic footballer at county level, he would of done some jail time by now. He has got away with too much and everyone runs to his defence. Of course, you can have some compassion as he dealt with a disease, but there has to be a line.

I just feel, like we are still not getting the full truth and there are more and more lies being told just to get the pound back in his pocket.

Just my opinion.

I'd agree with this. I have little time for McCarron and he's walked away from a lot of incidents that he really should be serving a jail sentence for. I don't think he can redeem himself in my eyes and he doesn't seem to acknowledge the acts he has done or committed. The biggest thing that struck me in the book was the bit where he said Ryan Porter made an off the cuff insult to him that he shortly apologised for and McCarron said he was dead for him then he can't seem to reconcile himself with the fact that some people have every right to detest the sight of his face.

I do think Gilroy last night was out of line in his questioning about the 15 year old girl though, what is the game with this father? His initial interaction with the press was for berating McCarron for getting publicity through disclosing the charges made against him and how this was having an adverse impact on his daughter. Since then the father has been contacting any media outlet there is fueling more flames on the story, putting private details about his daughter, her mental health and sexual records in the public domain - how exactly is that helping his daughter?

I don't know all the facts but McCarron was investigated and no charges were brought, I think it was a bit of line of Gilroy making inferences about McCarron knowing what he was at when there obviously is no evidence to that extent. If McCarron is truly innocent of these allegations weighed against him then he should definitely be taking legal proceedings against Gilroy and the father.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: WT4E on December 02, 2016, 04:39:43 PM
From what I made of it I would say is that in the way that Gilroy phrased the comment/Question he opened himself up to serious action so must have been confident in what he was saying so what happens now will probably indicate what happened:

Yeah, that would be the case but Gilroy seemed to be making inferences that McCarron was aware and got off on a "technicality". What sort of information would Gilroy have that hints at this when there wasn't evidence to bring charges forward?

Main Street

There is no way Gilroy can be sued for asking a question that he had a context for asking.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Main Street on December 02, 2016, 06:10:26 PM

There is no way Gilroy can be sued for asking a question that he had a context for.

Making inferences on a broadcasted primetime radio show that someone was potentially grooming a 15 year old girl is quite a loaded question to ask.