A Tyrone book

Started by seafoid, October 23, 2016, 12:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: JoG2 on November 01, 2016, 02:21:31 PM
Quote from: Boycey on November 01, 2016, 11:11:11 AM
McCarron has just been on Anton Savages show on TodayFM, I didn't think he came across that well, certainly not as well as I thought he did in the book and Savage gave him a difficult enough time.

On the book, I finished it at the weekend and thought it was an enthralling story and an honest, in my opinion, account of what its like to be an addict. I work in the gambling/gaming industry and see what gambling can do to people at close hand.

Edit: Savage is getting a fair bit of stick from his own listeners about his treatment of McCarron. I'm sure the interview can be listened back on their player if anyone interested.

had a listen there, thought McCarron came across ok, sounded genuine enough. Forget the money angle, doubt he'll make much, but if it does help people currently in a very dark place, then great. I've seen what gambling can do , a relative and a couple of friends. Gambling levels are truly off the charts

On the other hand, Savage came across as a privileged ar$e who hasn't endured much in the way of misery with his dismissive tone. (maybe he has, but that's they way he came across to me)

Gambling is basically unregulated. "gamble responsibly" is bollocks. So is "drink responsibly". Sign of an industry that refuses to be regulated in the public interest.
The UK used to have manufacturing industry. Now a sizeable chunk of economic activity is gambling.
Watching the ads of ITV during Champions League matches shows how bad the problem is.
As does shirt sponsorship. 
It's dispossession economics.

Boycey

Christ seafoid do you ever read read any of the stuff you post.

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on November 01, 2016, 03:25:38 PM
Christ seafoid do you ever read read any of the stuff you post.
How many McCarrons are there compared to the number of jobs gambling creates and what is an acceptable balance ?
How much did his gambling cost his family ?

Free six five
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fujFYe17SU

https://www.umass.edu/seigma/sites/default/files/SEIG%20Report-Williams%20Rehm%20%20Stevens%202011.pdf

SOCIAL IMPACTS (i.e., impacts that are primarily non-monetary in their nature)
Problem Gambling
Changes in the prevalence of problem gambling and the main indices potentially associated with problem gambling (i.e., personal bankruptcy rates, divorce rates, suicide rates, treatment numbers).  There are also monetary costs associated with changes in problem gambling that should be tabulated (and included in the Economic Impact section).  Specifically, these are the amount of money spent on  a) treatment and prevention;  b) policing, prosecution, incarceration, and probation for gambling-related crime;  c) child welfare involvement for gambling-related family problems; and  d) unemployment and welfare payments and lost productivity because of gambling-related work problems.

omaghjoe

For a change Im totally with seafoid on this.

Apart from the meagre amount of jobs from the "industry", (which I might add could be created from any economic activity if the funds ploughed into gambling were redirected).
It provides no useful contribution to society doesnt even supply decent tax revenue anymore seems like the best argument for it is "sure it would happen on the black market anyway"

Take Your Points

On the Nolan Show tomorrow night.

lenny

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 01, 2016, 05:05:46 PM

That's about his level, heard he's on the jeremy kyle show next week.

seafoid

It is a horrible, horrible story. It's way more than the girl who is damaged. Fair play to Tyrone for welcoming him back and fair play to that club in Kildare but I wouldn't wish his experience on anybody . That video is going to be online for ages. It's what happens when you fall off the wagon and continue falling. How does society stop things like this happening or is there no point in doing anything ?

seafoid

Sportsmen are three times more likely to gamble (6.1% versus 1.9%).

Hartson sees a lot of different people walk through the doors of those meetings - there are an estimated 400,000 people in the UK with a problem - but most of them do not come back. They have not reached their nadir yet.

A quarter of the Premier League's clubs have gambling logos on their shirts, the Football League's 72 clubs play in competitions sponsored by Sky Bet, William Hill back s the Football Association and pretty much every club has its own "official betting partner".

seafoid

I thought he did ok in the interview

muppet

Why were there protests about the LLS, but apparently very little about Nolan?
MWWSI 2017

Take Your Points

Quote from: muppet on November 01, 2016, 07:05:26 PM

Probably the Kildare family don't know about the Nolan Show and if they did contact Nolan he would have no qualms about including them in the show unlike the queasy RTE LLS.

seafoid

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 01, 2016, 08:35:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 01, 2016, 07:05:26 PM

Probably the Kildare family don't know about the Nolan Show and if they did contact Nolan he would have no qualms about including them in the show unlike the queasy RTE LLS.
It's not all over the Irish indo so not registering on social media

Minder

'I'm probably a bit of the victim in there. The one thing I was looking forward to was my book launch in Dublin"

Not big on the self awareness, he seems like an absolute cretin
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

Quote from: Minder on November 01, 2016, 11:03:03 PM
'I'm probably a bit of the victim in there. The one thing I was looking forward to was my book launch in Dublin"

He was gambling since he was 15. He probably neglected his education. 

Beffs

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2016, 02:07:33 AM
Quote from: Minder on November 01, 2016, 11:03:03 PM

He was gambling since he was 15. He probably neglected his education.

Secondary school teachers don't exactly go flat out to teach teenagers about self awareness. Nor do their university counterparts, unless they are lecturing in Psychology or Philosophy. I know plenty of people who left school at 16 and/or have no third level education, and they have plenty of basic cop on about themselves & how to conduct themselves in the wider world. You don't learn that kind of stuff in a classroom, or out of a book.