A Tyrone book

Started by seafoid, October 23, 2016, 12:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Can't believe Colm Cavanagh is a Muslim.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Itchy

I heard Mickey was so mad after the mayo defeat he kept the team back in the dressing room for 2 hours and conducted confessions with them. McCarrons took over an hour.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Itchy on October 31, 2016, 09:43:47 PM
I heard Mickey was so mad after the mayo defeat he kept the team back in the dressing room for 2 hours and conducted confessions with them. McCarrons took over an hour.

Good man, you must have been working on that one all day.

Puckoon

Just finished the book there. I have to say I was skeptical before starting it and the reasons are below:

1. Compared to other players in the autobiography era, what had Mccarron really done?
2. The soundbytes were very much suggesting that this was a money making deal for him and that was his primary objective.

I have to say it is a great read and from the moment I read the first few pages I didn't want to put it down, and I hope that it gives a sliver of hope to anyone who finds themselves near the precipice. If you've never felt "out of control", well good for you. If you're sanctimonious about it then it shows your ignorance. The book is raw in its honesty and it took me to places that I only thought I had fully healed from and processed. He knows he's an addict, he knows he's done things that he deserves no redemption from. I hope he stays the course in his new found resolve and continues to help others.

I think the LLS should re evaluate canceling his appearance, but not focus on the underage girl if that are her parents wishes. There's too many young gamblers that could do from hearing his story.

Puckoon

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 30, 2016, 08:36:02 PM
Why is it mental?

Mickey is a deeply spiritual person. I would imagine a lot of the people who continually bash Harte for his faith and stubbornness would come nowhere near having the sort of positive effect he has had on many people's live, including some very troubled and grieving souls.

People are entitled to their opinions but I think some of the cheap character attacks on Harte here give you an insight into the kind of person making them.

Yet you just threw Mickeys opinion out the window and were more interested in The McGee brothers than someone's struggle with... what did you call it again? Oh that's right... a "disease".

Puckoon

Quote from: stephenite on October 31, 2016, 09:15:48 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on October 31, 2016, 08:14:59 AM
So you were guessing? As I said before you stated it as a fact
You have no entitlement to speak on behalf of the Tyrone players unless mandated to do so.
You have no idea of how many Tyrone players go to Mass or not.
It was a daft assertion to make.

Jesus wept.

Shortest verse in the Bible.

No Shit.

seafoid

Quote from: Puckoon on November 01, 2016, 04:19:55 AM
Just finished the book there. I have to say I was skeptical before starting it and the reasons are below:

1. Compared to other players in the autobiography era, what had Mccarron really done?
2. The soundbytes were very much suggesting that this was a money making deal for him and that was his primary objective.

I have to say it is a great read and from the moment I read the first few pages I didn't want to put it down, and I hope that it gives a sliver of hope to anyone who finds themselves near the precipice. If you've never felt "out of control", well good for you. If you're sanctimonious about it then it shows your ignorance. The book is raw in its honesty and it took me to places that I only thought I had fully healed from and processed. He knows he's an addict, he knows he's done things that he deserves no redemption from. I hope he stays the course in his new found resolve and continues to help others.

I think the LLS should re evaluate canceling his appearance, but not focus on the underage girl if that are her parents wishes. There's too many young gamblers that could do from hearing his story.
I don't think they could control social media. He has a compelling story because of all the damage he caused but some of it is still live. All the attention must be very hard on his family. I am sure everyone in Dromore knows the video. It's all trauma.

I can imagine the Derry and Monaghan sledging.

Boycey

McCarron has just been on Anton Savages show on TodayFM, I didn't think he came across that well, certainly not as well as I thought he did in the book and Savage gave him a difficult enough time.

On the book, I finished it at the weekend and thought it was an enthralling story and an honest, in my opinion, account of what its like to be an addict. I work in the gambling/gaming industry and see what gambling can do to people at close hand.

Edit: Savage is getting a fair bit of stick from his own listeners about his treatment of McCarron. I'm sure the interview can be listened back on their player if anyone interested.

seafoid

Quote from: Boycey on November 01, 2016, 11:11:11 AM
McCarron has just been on Anton Savages show on TodayFM, I didn't think he came across that well, certainly not as well as I thought he did in the book and Savage gave him a difficult enough time.

On the book, I finished it at the weekend and thought it was an enthralling story and an honest, in my opinion, account of what its like to be an addict. I work in the gambling/gaming industry and see what gambling can do to people at close hand.

Edit: Savage is getting a fair bit of stick from his own listeners about his treatment of McCarron. I'm sure the interview can be listened back on their player if anyone interested.
Maybe tomorrow

http://www.todayfm.com/player/listen_back

longballin

Came across well in the book because he didn't write it and it would have been well vetted by lawyers before publication...

blewuporstuffed

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longballin

Just listened to that... Anton dont seem too convinced... is probably better to let the book do the talking

JoG2

had a listen there, thought McCarron came across ok, sounded genuine enough. Forget the money angle, doubt he'll make much, but if it does help people currently in a very dark place, then great. I've seen what gambling can do , a relative and a couple of friends. Gambling levels are truly off the charts

On the other hand, Savage came across as a privileged ar$e who hasn't endured much in the way of misery with his dismissive tone. (maybe he has, but that's they way he came across to me)

skeog

Cathal didnt come across well at all. Lucky perhaps lls didnt go ahead.Said he earned 1000 a week what job was he at to take that home you would need to be earning 1700 at least. Mentioned how he gambled all the movie money in two days,yet he said later he had attended his Grannys funeral with 400 he had from the movie.I am not being cynical but he comes across very much as being out of his depth during the interview which i suppose is understandable.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 31, 2016, 09:39:51 PM
Can't believe Colm Cavanagh is a Muslim.

You'd better hope ye don't play New York anytime if Trump gets elected.  :D
MWWSI 2017