A Tyrone book

Started by seafoid, October 23, 2016, 12:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Stephen Nolan just explained why "controversial Tyrone star" Cathal McCarron won't be on show. This is the face of Tyrone GAA... Jesus wept.

Take Your Points

Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2016, 11:03:45 PM
Stephen Nolan just explained why "controversial Tyrone star" Cathal McCarron won't be on show. This is the face of Tyrone GAA... Jesus wept.

The expression and pause from Nolan as he explained the withdrawal seemed to show he didn't really believe the reasons given.

longballin

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 02, 2016, 11:35:27 PM

The expression and pause from Nolan as he explained the withdrawal seemed to show he didn't really believe the reasons given.

Does anyone?

seafoid

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 02, 2016, 11:35:27 PM

It's not Throne GAA.  That's just a football team. It's not Christy O'Connor. He just writes books. It's not Nolan. That's just light entertainment. You can take or leave any of those.

It is an important book but something is still not right.
There is probably no need for a book launch anyway given all the media attention.

Jinxy

Another interview in the Star today.
I think at this point he's damaging sales of his book.
That's enough now Cathal, give it (and us) a rest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Tyrone Gaa

Cathal didn't show on Nolan last night, maybe afraid of the tone the big lad may have used to quiz some of his behaviour.  Or he is tired of being quizzed.  Be interesting to see if he reschedules this.
Living the dream!!!

Itchy

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on November 03, 2016, 10:33:21 AM
Cathal didn't show on Nolan last night, maybe afraid of the tone the big lad may have used to quiz some of his behaviour.  Or he is tired of being quizzed.  Be interesting to see if he reschedules this.

I think he's upset that the most recent interviews haven't been full of pity for him and instead are challenging him.

rodney trotter

He was in Court recently on assault charge,  not exactly keeping his  head down.

omagh_gael

I think he was fully expecting a similar sort of response that Oisin got. He appears to lack the self awareness of the differences in the two stories. His use of the term victim when describing his tinder mess underlines this massively.

Ethan Tremblay

Bar sneaking/cheating behind his GF back he sort of was no?

Although the word "victim" dramatizes his role in this, he was still being a sneaky sod!
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Take Your Points

Does anyone know the payback on authoring a book?  Do you depend mostly on the size of the advance?

Surely, to make a reasonable income, sales would need to exceed 100K.  The cost of hardback and softback print editions must be very high, the loss expected on pulping or bargain binning a significant percentage would raise costs and the return from highly discounted eBooks would be low per copy.

Minder

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 03, 2016, 08:10:33 PM
Does anyone know the payback on authoring a book?  Do you depend mostly on the size of the advance?

Surely, to make a reasonable income, sales would need to exceed 100K.  The cost of hardback and softback print editions must be very high, the loss expected on pulping or bargain binning a significant percentage would raise costs and the return from highly discounted eBooks would be low per copy.

I remember Henry Martin (Unlimited Heartbreak author) saying that you make very little from GAA books/autobiographies
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Itchy

My guess is the primary aim of this book is to paint himself as a victim of a terrible disease which excuses his behaviour so that perhaps his peers will pity him and allow him integrate back into normal society.