Connacht Club Championships 2016

Started by revsperminute, October 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Take him on about it. You ll have my full support. The slope disparity will be explained away to some unforeseen local tectonic activity maybe and good luck with questioning him about it. :)

Cunny Funt

Junior and intermediate titles won by Mayo clubs. Louisburgh 2-9 Creggs 0-11, Westport 1-9 ballinamore 0-7

Syferus

Who said it was going to be a Mayo clean sweep this year? It'll be some achievement now..

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Syferus on November 20, 2016, 03:55:49 PM
Who said it was going to be a Mayo clean sweep this year? It'll be some achievement now..
As Meatloaf once said, two out of three ain't bad!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on November 20, 2016, 03:55:49 PM

Yep man over on the mayoblog.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Farrandeelin

You wouldn't know there's a provincial club final on this weekend at all with no Mayo team in it.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Syfín must be gone all nervous about his favourite bandwagon club's chances!
Corofin raging favourites but Brids not without hope.
Hope they can upset the apple tart and prove the experts wrong.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

I see Brigids are 3/1 with Boyle sports. I find those odds a little strange when you consider they have beaten Corofin in their last two Connacht final meetings and were All Ireland champions just 3 years ago.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2016, 04:58:10 PM

Tarts alright.

Sice trying to say Corofin have forgotten 2011 and 2006 and that it's a different team now. Watch the yellow bellies go out on Sunday and try to decapitate Brigids players and we'll see how in the past it is.

galwayman

3/1 odds very high in two horse race.
Corofin justifiably favourites alright though.
Would fancy them to win it narrowly.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2016, 06:46:44 PM

Tarts alright.

Sice trying to say Corofin have forgotten 2011 and 2006 and that it's a different team now. Watch the yellow bellies go out on Sunday and try to decapitate Brigids players and we'll see how in the past it is.

Well he's hardly going to say yes we're mad for revenge, watch out Brigids is he? Corofin certainly won't be short on motivation for Sunday, hopefully they do it. I think they have more quality from midfield up, they need to be careful with the amount of frees they're giving away in scorable positions though, could easily have been a different result against Castlebar with all they gave away. And hopefully Ronan Steede's nose will have a better day out!

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on November 23, 2016, 11:06:26 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2016, 06:46:44 PM

Tarts alright.

Well he's hardly going to say yes we're mad for revenge, watch out Brigids is he? Corofin certainly won't be short on motivation for Sunday, hopefully they do it. I think they have more quality from midfield up, they need to be careful with the amount of frees they're giving away in scorable positions though, could easily have been a different result against Castlebar with all they gave away. And hopefully Ronan Steede's nose will have a better day out!

Darren Dolan, Senan Kilbride, Cathal McHugh, Karol Mannion and two good young lads about to break onto the senior county panel in Brian Stack and Connor Murray. Frankie still laces up the boots and if he wasn't manager he'd probably still be starting games. Corofin have good forwards too but I don't see them having much of an edge there. Defensively there might be more of a difference but even then I think this is a match between two teams with a good mix of experience and youth in the three sectors. The fact bookmakers and neutrals by extension have written off Brigids will be plenty of motivation for them because they hardly consider themselves inferior to Corofin.

Lone Shark

Quote from: Syferus on November 24, 2016, 01:30:54 AM
The fact bookmakers and neutrals by extension have written off Brigids will be plenty of motivation for them because they hardly consider themselves inferior to Corofin.

Bookmakers have made Brigids two point underdogs to a side that lifted the Andy Merrigan cup just 20 months ago. Two whole points. If a pundit went on the radio and said "I fancy it to be close, but I'd give Corofin the edge by a point or two" then nobody would call that being written off, so why people decide it is when it's a bookmaker that does it mystifies me.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Lone Shark on November 24, 2016, 01:14:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 24, 2016, 01:30:54 AM
The fact bookmakers and neutrals by extension have written off Brigids will be plenty of motivation for them because they hardly consider themselves inferior to Corofin.

Bookmakers have made Brigids two point underdogs to a side that lifted the Andy Merrigan cup just 20 months ago. Two whole points. If a pundit went on the radio and said "I fancy it to be close, but I'd give Corofin the edge by a point or two" then nobody would call that being written off, so why people decide it is when it's a bookmaker that does it mystifies me.

Do you fancy Corofin to win by two points also or by a bigger margin?

Lone Shark

I think the odds are accurate. I would suggest that there isn't much between where Corofin were when they won the All Ireland and where they are now, due to the age profile of the side. Brigids, on the other hand, have introduced some good young players, players that will probably play senior football for Roscommon in the future, but you need to be a lot better than good to replace the likes of Frankie Dolan. Karol Mannion and Darragh Donnelly are two other key men that are not operating at the same level as they were back in 2012/2013, while you can't take out a player of Ian Kilbride's calibre and not have an effect on the team - he was man of the match in a lot of the games they played this year. Only Niall McInerney is a significant upgrade on where they were back then, since he's probably the best defender in Roscommon on 2016 form.

If you forced me to have a bet, I'd back Corofin minus two, but as I said, I think the odds are largely accurate. The odds say that if you played the game ten times, Corofin would win six, Brigids would win three and there would be one draw. I'd find it hard to disagree with that.

Crokes minus five in the Munster final will be my bet for the weekend instead.