Dublin for 3 in a row

Started by DUBSFORSAM1, October 03, 2016, 06:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

With Dublin having won the last 2 titles including winning 2016 with player like Brogan/Flynn/MDMA totally out of form and after losing ROC/McCaffrey is anyone likely to beat them next season in the championship?

Kerry - losing a few of their older players but will their minors come through quick enough?
Mayo - bound to lost a couple of players but will they get any of their U21 forwards to come through quick enough
Tyrone - will Cavanagh come back???

The Aristocrat

Cant see it, The GAA and Enda wont let it happen.

orangeman

Dublin could do 5 in a row. They have so much talent on the bench whereas other teams are struggling in that department.
Kerry will be rebuilding.
The rest simply trying to get near to the standards Dublin have now set.

The Aristocrat

Orangeman, wait until you see there Kerry team in 4 or 5 years time, those 3 in a row minor team are some of the best players seen at that age, they need to be looked and after transitioned to senior in the right way, the Jack O C will take Kerry and that team to a few All Irelands. I do think Dublin will win 1 more this decade.

orangeman

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 03, 2016, 09:19:43 AM
Orangeman, wait until you see there Kerry team in 4 or 5 years time, those 3 in a row minor team are some of the best players seen at that age, they need to be looked and after transitioned to senior in the right way, the Jack O C will take Kerry and that team to a few All Irelands. I do think Dublin will win 1 more this decade.

It's not easy getting minors through. I'd love to see those minors coming through but it's some step up to seniors. Dublin have a lot of good lads already on the bench biding their time in some cases. These Kerry minors in the main aren't even on the bench.

Jinxy

Not sure if Kerry will be physically ready next year.
They have the talent, they just don't have the wheels.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Dublin are still the most likely winners next year with Mayo Kerry and Tyrone the main challengers again. The main issue that Dublin will have is one of hunger, They will need to go away and try and coast the early stages of next years League if they are to maintain this hunger for when it is really needed in the latter stages of the champioonship. I can see Gavin phasing out some of the older guard like Flynn and Brogan next year. They will still have an important role to play but it could well be from the bench next season. It is vital for Dublin that Cluxton stays on though.

snoopdog

Aussie rules might rob a few of them

yellowcard

Quote from: snoopdog on October 03, 2016, 01:18:45 PM
Aussie rules might rob a few of them

Thought the same myself. Good minors guarantee nothing and it takes a few years for players to develop into decent senior footballers coming out of that age group. Kerry will still be contenders but it will be mostly with the players they have already rather than any sudden upturn in fortunes due to minors being integrated quickly.

macdanger2

Dublin 5/4
Mayo 7/2
Kerry 4/1
Tyrone 6/1
Donegal 20/1

Hard to see past the top 4 in the betting for next year's semi finals with perhaps Donegal as an outside shot.

Lar Naparka

Dublin will always be there or thereabouts for the foreseeable future, given the resources at their disposal. They don''t have to rely on good minors to replace any of the old stock that drops out. 
Their development structures will see to it that the likes of Fenton, Small, Costello etc. will keep coming through.
I don't think though that the senior team will always win the AI. After all, it is just fifteen against fifteen and there's always the chance that the likes of Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo will beat them from time to time. But the odds will always favour Dublin. Other counties may put up a challenge from time to time but none will be able to sustain the effort for very long.
I think it's fair to say that it's all fur coats and no knickers with Mayo at the moment. The expense of maintaining the senior side means that other area are being left short.
I'd install them as favourites for next year but it's early days yet and much can happen between now and the third Sunday of next September.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 03, 2016, 09:08:24 AM
Cant see it, The GAA and Enda wont let it happen.

Like they didn't let it happen this year.  ::)

I'd hate to think of the chip you'd have on your shoulder if the Dubs lost.
MWWSI 2017

Gael85

Quote from: orangeman on October 03, 2016, 09:16:14 AM
Dublin could do 5 in a row. They have so much talent on the bench whereas other teams are struggling in that department.
Kerry will be rebuilding.
The rest simply trying to get near to the standards Dublin have now set.

Not a hope of winning 5 in a row. We fell over the line this year. Our bench is not as strong as 2014/15. We lost Jack McCaffrey, Rory O'Carroll, Alan Brogan, Ger Brennan, Bryan Cullen and Kevin O'Brien over last 2 years. Lads like Tomas Brady and Shane Carthy on bench be worrying the likes of Kerry, Mayo. We will be in transition next year as Bastick and maybe Cluxton could retire. MDMA, Connolly, McMahon, Flynn and Kevin Mc will be 30. McCaffrey will be back and young lads like Evan Comerford, Shane Clayton, Con O'Callaghan, Colm Basquel and Eric Lowndes should get chance in league next year

rodney trotter

O Gara would be  over the 30 mark as well. Dublins domination will only last so long. The last few Minor teams were quite average.

Gael85

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 03, 2016, 08:05:50 PM
O Gara would be  over the 30 mark as well. Dublins domination will only last so long. The last few Minor teams were quite average.

Agree. The 2011 & 2012 minors team were prob the greatest minor teams we produced. Bar 2014 we have been very poor at minor since.