All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Don't have the enthusiasm to write a big post, but I'd agree with what you said there galwayman, I couldn't (and still can't) see why the decision to change keeper's made sense.
Clarke is so dependable and has been all year. A couple of kick-outs went astray at the end of the drawn game, but he kept us in that game. Goalkeeping isn't just about kickouts (despite recent fad), and as you said, Robbie has an unfortunate history of at least one major mistake in most games. It happened again, and his kickouts didn't bring any benefit. Massive price paid.
Congrats to the Dubs - they were slightly better team all through in reality, but we really couldn't afford to hurt ourselves like that.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Jim_Murphy_74

People will always see the worse in ref  for their own team.

But nobody outside of Mayo will really have an issue with Deegan in that regard.  It's challenging with all that goes on in a game to see everything and get it all right.  In a game like Saturday you can only take it like the rugby refs and hope that ref is sympathetic to run of the game.

There is no doubt that Rochford has brought a newer, more steely approach to Mayo game.  It is possibly at the expense of attack but finite resources and all that.  He will have goalkeeping question hanging over him as it is difficult to understand and certainly seemed to backfire.  Sometimes these tactical types go too far and box a bit too clever....  Hopefully he (and panel) can see this year in isolation and not part of a longer pattern of failure.  Otherwise the psychological baggage will be huge.

/Jim.

seafoid

Quote from: galwayman on October 03, 2016, 09:20:21 AM
A friend text me on Saturday morning about the rumoured selection of Hennelly ahead of Clarke. It was the first I'd heard about it but my reaction straight away was that it was good news for Dublin.
Have seen him in action a good bit and (no more than a lot of our keepers in Galway) he always seem to have one or two big mistakes per game in him.
Clarke much more solid.  One or two kickouts went astray towards the end of the drawn game but other than that he was extremely solid (plus he made 2 outstanding point blank saves) and almost always is.
For the life of me I couldn't get my head around why they would make that change. It's not as if Clarke's kickouts are terrible.

Another thing that surprised me - Barry Moran was on the pitch for the last 20 minutes of the game & cited in front of the Dublin goal along with O'Shea.
Mayo got one dubious enough free from a long ball into him.
Other than that - they barely kicked a ball into the goalmouth. I haven't watched the game back but that was impression at the time anyway. Why bring him on and have the 2 big men in there and then use the tactic so sparingly?
They ran it too much I think. But they are so close
I think they put a lot of notions about Mayo to bed this year.
I hope they do it next year

criostlinn

Quote from: blast05 on October 03, 2016, 09:04:28 AM
Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2016, 08:18:44 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 03, 2016, 06:46:50 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 03, 2016, 03:36:36 AM
The Keegan one can be debated, but the consensus before this had been that you has to drag a player all the way to the deck to be black carded. Ironically Dublin were one of the first teams to adopt the drag and release tackle to avoid getting black carded. They spent a lot of time working on this during training at the time.

The lack of consistency was when Connolly commited a similar round the neck challenge and escaped sanction. Deegan would have reduced Dublin to 14 men had he produced a card of any colour, since Connolly was already on a yellow. Underneath Hill 16 I think he bottled it. The.same goes for Mayo's penalty shout.

Did he also bottle sending Docherty off for taking Cooper out after the goal?

You're not allowed ask those questions

If you can refer me to any incident similar to Dohertys where a red was issued then you'd have some argument. It should have been a yellow in my view.

He shouldered him for christ sake. Not to dissimilar to the kind of shoulder Johnny loves to dish out but without the goal post to collide with. If Cooper hadn't of made such a meal of it (yet again trying to get players sent off) he may have avoided a black a couple of minutes later. Deegan must have been saying wtf when he saw Cooper making the Lazarus like recovery and bombing up the pitch in the next move after needing 2 medical staff to help him off the ground

heffo

The Keegan one can be debated, but the consensus before this had been that you has to drag a player all the way to the deck to be black carded. Ironically Dublin were one of the first teams to adopt the drag and release tackle to avoid getting black carded. They spent a lot of time working on this during training at the time.

The lack of consistency was when Connolly commited a similar round the neck challenge and escaped sanction. Deegan would have reduced Dublin to 14 men had he produced a card of any colour, since Connolly was already on a yellow. Underneath Hill 16 I think he bottled it. The.same goes for Mayo's penalty shout.

If you can refer me to any incident similar to Dohertys where a red was issued then you'd have some argument. It should have been a yellow in my view.

Really? For a deliberate body collision?

criostlinn

Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2016, 09:49:03 AM

Really? For a deliberate body collision?

Well such carry on. A deliberate body collision in a game of gaelic football. Down with that sort of thing

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: criostlinn on October 03, 2016, 09:41:38 AM

He shouldered him for christ sake. Not to dissimilar to the kind of shoulder Johnny loves to dish out but without the goal post to collide with. If Cooper hadn't of made such a meal of it (yet again trying to get players sent off) he may have avoided a black a couple of minutes later. Deegan must have been saying wtf when he saw Cooper making the Lazarus like recovery and bombing up the pitch in the next move after needing 2 medical staff to help him off the ground

Please explain how you can shoulder someone when you charge into them from behind?

The Bearded One

The rule states: 'Deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of a movement of play'

Not a black card for Doherty but should have been a yellow.
It is what it is. Presumably.

criostlinn

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on October 03, 2016, 09:55:52 AM

Please explain how you can shoulder someone when you charge into them from behind?

Please explain how a man can receive such severe injuries as cooper seemingly did and then make such a recovery

galwayman

Ah come on - are you really suggesting a red card for the Doherty incident?
He followed through and shoved Cooper who went to ground.
Definitely he should have got a yellow but you think that was a red card offence?

westbound

The single biggest problem with refereeing in the gaa at the moment is the lack of understanding of the rules BY SUPPORTERS! In the last 3/4 pages of this thread alone there have been some posters proving that they don't know/understand the rules.

TV pundits that don't know/understand the rules shouldn't be allowed on tv.

Ger canning even pointed out to Martin Carney about cooper's black card that it was the rule!

Also, a lot of people saying that Clarke is very solid keeper etc. but don't forget it wan't just the kickouts the first day. He came for a ball about 20yards from goal and challenged Dean Rock and ended up giving away a free. It could easily have resulted in a goal for dublin. He wasn't as solid as some people seem to be remembering from the first day. Also, if he panicked with the kickouts towards the end of the game what is to say that he wouldn't have a meltdown again at a crucial stage in the replay? Now I wouldn't have dropped him myself because I think he is better keeper than Hennelly, but I can understand the logic from Rochford.

Canalman

Firstly, hard luck to the Mayo posters on here.

Haven't seen any highlights of the game, but thought each and every one of our subs brought something to the table when they came on and for that the Manager must take great credit.

Thought Cluxton was immense yesterday as he has been all season imo ( bar 10 mins in AISF) . Have to say , I would not like to be in the Dublin full back line with those kick outs coming your way with no margin for errors. One of the very few  players who has changed the  role of a football position so much. Maybe Paul Curran as an attacking wing back, Brian Dooher/ Paul Galvin as the up and down the pitch wing forwards or Sean Cavanagh likewise as midfielder.

Didn't see the card or non card issues or replays but in real time from the Canal End the Keegan black card looked a definite one.

Have to say that I have a major issue with CP not showing replays on the screen of so called contentious issues. Fans have paid serious money to get in and imo deserve better. If a supporter or supporter get het up afterwards, then they can be ejected from the grounds. Why should the people watching at home get the benefit of replays only?

Will be very curious next year to see whether the 6 minutes additional time is added on in most games or just for AIFs. Very annoyed with the extra 2 minutes added on to the additional time at the end.

Anyway, congrats to the lads and once again hard luck to the Mayo posters here.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Canalman on October 03, 2016, 10:18:55 AM
Will be very curious next year to see whether the 6 minutes additional time is added on in most games or just for AIFs. Very annoyed with the extra 2 minutes added on to the additional time at the end.
It has been like that all championship. Refs were instructed to play more reflective additional time.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 03, 2016, 10:22:36 AM
Quote from: Canalman on October 03, 2016, 10:18:55 AM
It has been like that all championship. Refs were instructed to play more reflective additional time.
And rightly so I feel.
I would have now problem with this as long as  it is done consitently
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

rosnarun

the ball was not in play so it wasn't a third man tackle . may have been a red of yellow if you ignore all precedent but could not have been a black
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere