All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: highorlow on September 20, 2016, 04:55:33 PM
QuoteThought the ref did well overall, couple of decisions both sides can question, but didn't affect the outcome.

Ya, they even out alright. The 50/50 Clarke v Rock (i think ball) went against Clarke and led to a tap over. Thought this was a soft one for the home side.

I must watch the game again tonight.
Rock made a divot in the pitch after that to tee up the free....I remember thinking are we allowing that these days? Basic rule but surprised Rock did that because could have easily been a hop ball, his head must have been all over the shop.

macdanger2

Quote from: highorlow on September 20, 2016, 04:30:15 PM
QuoteCillian was close to black as well. I know MDMA could have also gone but if we lost Cillian at that stage, it was over.

So I agree that things probably evened out. The 7 minutes helped as well!

The last (i think) free we got on Parsons was a soft one. I think he was losing possession of the ball anyhow. That free (i think) led to the equalizer.

I thought it was soft at the time but having watched it back, MDMA pulled him on the shoulder as he was getting away which caused him to spill the ball so it was definitely a free imo

cuconnacht

Quote from: highorlow on September 20, 2016, 04:30:15 PM
QuoteCillian was close to black as well. I know MDMA could have also gone but if we lost Cillian at that stage, it was over.

So I agree that things probably evened out. The 7 minutes helped as well!

The last (i think) free we got on Parsons was a soft one. I think he was losing possession of the ball anyhow. That free (i think) led to the equalizer.
Wrong on both counts.It was a double handed foul by Dermo(pull back with left and punch to shoulder with right to stop play rather than disposess.ref was a yard away so no choice.It led to AOS,s high hoof wide.

straightred

Quote from: highorlow on September 20, 2016, 04:55:33 PM
QuoteThought the ref did well overall, couple of decisions both sides can question, but didn't affect the outcome.

Ya, they even out alright. The 50/50 Clarke v Rock (i think ball) went against Clarke and led to a tap over. Thought this was a soft one for the home side.

I must watch the game again tonight.

we'll argue over these for the next 2 weeks. Thought Connolly was clearly fouled over on the Hogan stand side and Mayo broke for Moran to get a point when he could easily have got a goal.

The Hill is Blue

Now that the Mayo diaspora has dispersed around the world again will there be more tickets available for Dubs next day? We were badly under-represented last Sunday.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Fuzzman

No Galway or Kerry fans for tickets also and with it being a Sat evening I'd imagine more tickets about

Ballaghman

Quote from: Chimley on September 20, 2016, 12:45:28 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2016, 12:17:46 PM
I would add that Mayo need to plan for Barry Moran's introduction to the FF line, whenever it happens the next day.
There should be a raised level of awareness out the field that a tactical shift is required in terms of the delivery into the inside line.
Moran came on the last day and Mayo kept playing the same way bar one aimless hoof in the general direction of the square by AOS from a sideline ball (why was he even taking it?).
If you bring Moran on, use him properly, he's 7 foot tall ffs.

AOS reminds me of the lad we all knew growing up. The bigget f*cker on the team who demands the ball at every break in play even though he couldn't hit a barn door with a shovel and nobody is able to stand up to him. He nearly cost us in the Tyrone match with the free to David Clarke that was very nearly intercepted. He should be banned from taking any free or sideline.
Couldn't agree more with the last line!

Chimley

Quote from: muppet on September 20, 2016, 02:06:40 PM
I really hate the way we automatically assume all decisions are against us.

Mayo Banter on Facebook is full of this crap, although Hill 16 isn't any better.

I have no problem with Deegan. He reffed the 2012 Final and had nothing to do with the result iirc.

Except for the passage leading up to the second Donegal goal. There was a blatant foul on Cillian down at the other end and they swept down the field to score when it wasn't given

From the Bunker

I have had mixed feeling since Sunday! Actually I have strange emotions. We have done this drawning championship games the last two years and we have come out bad in the replays.

We have missed a huge chance. The lead up to this final was all about Dublin. Beating Kerry in the final. Their Character. Their 27 game unbeaten run. Their forwards. Their subs bench. Their backroom team. It's wonder Mayo togged out at all, if the media was to be believed. Even the natives down west bought into the story. Streets and Villages all over Mayo had never been as dead before a AI final (never!). This was set for the ambush and Full marks to our lads, they give 100% and more. They had a game plan and they executed it perfectly. Well almost perfectly. Regretfully, I think we have missed the boat. The opportunity was there, but fate seems to have put it beyond our grasp. The pendulum has swung. The media have started to talk about Mayo. Dublin are forewarned. There won't be many new surprises next Saturday that Rochford can pull from the hat. Just like last year, Dublin will learn form the original fixture and punish Mayo.

A horrible feeling is in my gut that Cillians equalising point is only prolonging the agony!

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 19, 2016, 08:21:04 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 19, 2016, 08:09:55 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on September 19, 2016, 12:46:55 AM
Out of interest when was the last time Mayo lost a championship game to the defending All Ireland champions?

Kerry 2007?
Was it not Derry who put us out that year?

Yeah you are right Farr - Must be 2005 then?

Well

I believe Mayo may have gone all in with their performance on Sunday and may have left it behind them to a certain extent. Difficult to maintain that level of intensity for another 70 mins. I can only see Dublin improving and one if not more of their forwards stepping up to make the difference in the replay.
I hope to be proved wrong.

ZeitChrist

Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2016, 02:00:02 PM
Who does that suit? I tend to forget refs (except for Pat McEnaney, a special place in a bog near Ballycastle is waiting for him), so I'm not sure if we have a grudge against Maurice or not.

Is he a Laois man? That's not good so, he'll be in thrall to the lads from the big city.

Deegan not good enough in my view.  Not sure why he is being given a game of this stature. He's very easily swayed on his decisions, doesn't take a firm and consistent enough stance in his decision making. Could see both sides having serious gripes with some of his decisions the next day, but then there always seems to be nasty sniping back and forth between supporters of these teams.

Lar Naparka

As a matter of fact, I feel sorry for all Gaelic referees.
It's a case of damned if you do and double-damned if you don't for every poor hoor with his whistle in his gob. Conor Lane can feel with some justification that he did a pretty good job on Sunday since both sets of fans effed him in equal measure.
Conor must be in his late 40s or probably into his 50s and couldn't possibly keep up with all the goings-on on the field all around him. Thirty of the fittest and most revved up athletes in the country with 80,000 spectators roaring them on and anyone who really expects such a ref to turn in a flawless performance needs psychiatric intervention, fast.
Yet two of the most experienced refs in the business, McQuilland and Deegan, were acting as linesmen with no powers to intervene and alert the ref to anything he might have missed unless he asked for it.
Sure, a pair of garsĂșns outa sixth class could have done that.
There is no possible way that putting an extra ref on the field would work, the speed of the game alone would see to that. Besides, if changes are implemented in one type of game but not in others, chaos will be the inevitable result.
You either use two refs for all grades of games or you don't bother with the idea at all.
Those who watch proceedings on telly or those with a seat in the stands have a far better view of what's going on than the ref who is trying to keep up with the play at ground level. If there's a player or two between him and the ball, he has no way over looking over their heads and he can't see through them so inevitably he won't get every call right. I think the linesmen should have the authority to alert the ref if either one sees something they feel should be brought to his attention.
This could work equally well in an All Ireland final or in a junior game between Pollawaddy and Crucksbullaghadawn without a bother.
In all seriousness, the only fact we can be certain of as we await the replay is that Maurice Deegan will get assloads of abuse from Mayo and Dublin fans alike.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2016, 10:17:31 PM
I have had mixed feeling since Sunday! Actually I have strange emotions. We have done this drawning championship games the last two years and we have come out bad in the replays.

We have missed a huge chance. The lead up to this final was all about Dublin. Beating Kerry in the final. Their Character. Their 27 game unbeaten run. Their forwards. Their subs bench. Their backroom team. It's wonder Mayo togged out at all, if the media was to be believed. Even the natives down west bought into the story. Streets and Villages all over Mayo had never been as dead before a AI final (never!). This was set for the ambush and Full marks to our lads, they give 100% and more. They had a game plan and they executed it perfectly. Well almost perfectly. Regretfully, I think we have missed the boat. The opportunity was there, but fate seems to have put it beyond our grasp. The pendulum has swung. The media have started to talk about Mayo. Dublin are forewarned. There won't be many new surprises next Saturday that Rochford can pull from the hat. Just like last year, Dublin will learn form the original fixture and punish Mayo.

A horrible feeling is in my gut that Cillians equalising point is only prolonging the agony!
Maybe your waters are sending the wrong signals.  Maybe Mayo are actually better than Dublin
Sometimes things work out. 

omaghjoe

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 20, 2016, 10:57:13 PM
As a matter of fact, I feel sorry for all Gaelic referees.
It's a case of damned if you do and double-damned if you don't for every poor hoor with his whistle in his gob. Conor Lane can feel with some justification that he did a pretty good job on Sunday since both sets of fans effed him in equal measure.
Conor must be in his late 40s or probably into his 50s and couldn't possibly keep up with all the goings-on on the field all around him. Thirty of the fittest and most revved up athletes in the country with 80,000 spectators roaring them on and anyone who really expects such a ref to turn in a flawless performance needs psychiatric intervention, fast.
Yet two of the most experienced refs in the business, McQuilland and Deegan, were acting as linesmen with no powers to intervene and alert the ref to anything he might have missed unless he asked for it.
Sure, a pair of garsĂșns outa sixth class could have done that.
There is no possible way that putting an extra ref on the field would work, the speed of the game alone would see to that. Besides, if changes are implemented in one type of game but not in others, chaos will be the inevitable result.
You either use two refs for all grades of games or you don't bother with the idea at all.
Those who watch proceedings on telly or those with a seat in the stands have a far better view of what's going on than the ref who is trying to keep up with the play at ground level. If there's a player or two between him and the ball, he has no way over looking over their heads and he can't see through them so inevitably he won't get every call right. I think the linesmen should have the authority to alert the ref if either one sees something they feel should be brought to his attention.
This could work equally well in an All Ireland final or in a junior game between Pollawaddy and Crucksbullaghadawn without a bother.
In all seriousness, the only fact we can be certain of as we await the replay is that Maurice Deegan will get assloads of abuse from Mayo and Dublin fans alike.

Is that cause their colleagues in Galway are making them speak English?