All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Going by the mayogaablog, there'll be mad singing, chanting, and the whole shebang all through the game...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jinxy on September 03, 2016, 08:26:38 PM
Players or fans?

Fans, trying to 'out-Dub' the Dubs in the stands. Mind you, It would be good craic if the likes of Keegan and Connolly started an oul slow waltz!

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2016, 08:14:26 PM
Going by the mayogaablog, there'll be mad singing, chanting, and the whole shebang all through the game...

What are they hoping to achieve with that?

Jinxy

I better not hear any of that Icelandic chanting carry-on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2016, 10:04:31 PM

No idea. They don't like the Mayo Mayo chant, and want to out sing the Dubs. Whatever makes people happy I suppose.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2016, 10:47:53 PM

No idea. They don't like the Mayo Mayo chant, and want to out sing the Dubs. Whatever makes people happy I suppose.

GAA supporters need to get their collective acts together regarding the singing. Tipp tried the Icelandic chant of 'Tipp! (Clap)..........Tipp! (Clap).........Tipp! (Clap)...... - but they seemed to forget the words.

The Dubs have COYBIB and we have Mayyyyyy---oh! Mayyyyyy ---oh!.

Both of which really need replacing. Badly.

How about 'We all dream of a team of Kevin Keanes?'

Or 'My lovely horse' - adapted as a tribute to Michael Dara McCauley?

MWWSI 2017

muppet

Thinking more about it....both sets of supporters could sing this as a tribute to everything from TSG Panel, to Des Cahill and even Gene Wilder!

https://youtu.be/uA7cz2-H_ZQ
MWWSI 2017

maigheo

Quote from: Bod Mor on September 03, 2016, 01:45:07 PM
How to unlock the Dublin defence. Well, how to make Aidan O'Shea effective at full forward.
Mayo's biggest mistake with the long balls into O'Shea during the two semis last year was that he was surrounded by three Dublin defenders. Why was that you might ask? It can't be that hard to figure out. Dublin were playing a sweeper and he was instructed to be in front of O'Shea at all times. So where did the third defender come out of?
Easy. The third defender was the man marking Cillian O'Connor. Whenever the ball was played in, that defender sprinted straight away over to stand beside O'Shea. What Mayo got wrong is that Cillian O'Connor and O'Shea should do what happened in the first half of the semi final replay last year in the passage of Play leading up to Aidan O'Shea's point in the first half. Drag their markers out and that leaves the sweeper to mark the space in between them. In this phase of Play I have mentioned, a long ball is played in to O'Shea who has made a run out towards the Hogan stand sideline and O'Coonor headed out in the opoosite direction towards the Cusack and brought his man with him. McMahon got his hands to the ball but it was the only time they were one on one to a high ball in the two games.
O'Shea won it and scored a point.
Now, hopefully Rochford and co. have picked up on this. What is missing from this is somebody bursting through for O'Shea to pass to and you would then have 2 on 2 or maybe a 2 on 1 and a goalscoring chance.
Good post.The tactic of hoofing the ball into A.O.S in last years semi finals was asinine in the extreme and persisting with it in the replay was even worse.Listening to Stephen Rochford after last years replay he made the point that the biggest problem with Mayos attack was the lack of width to there play and everything was so predictable,so I suspect things will be different this year.Anybody think Keith Higgins could be moved up to the attack with Chris Barrett coming in to replace him at corner back.Higgins may revel in the wide open spaces of Croke Park and maybe this move would pull O Sullivan out of his comfort zone

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 03, 2016, 10:47:53 PM

Load of shite. There wont be much singing tomorrow in the hurling. Fans from both counties will be concentrating on every puck an cheering or moaning as appropriate.
This isn t soccer where you can go 90 mins and sometimes not a lot happens, so fans sing and chant insults at each other to pass the time.
Mayo fans at AI final will be just trying to hold it together and many will be watching from between fingers or just traumatised and stuck to the seat.
Dubs will be different because they are already well sated with success and will be celebratory from the start, anticipating a parade.
Dubs will be like an audience at a musical/pantomime while Mayo fans will be like an audience at a horror film, waiting for the scary bits and wondering how they ever agreed to go to one of these shows - again. Singing my hole!

maigheo

Saw an interview  with Willie joe over on the blog when he was asked why Mayo fans seemed to go silent towards the end of the 13 all ireland and he said all they were trying to do is breathe.That about sums it up for all of us.Yeah would agree that this idea of singing thro out the match is a load of B.S

blast05

Yee're far too middle aged, middle class and sensible lads  ;)
Its a bloody All-Ireland final and the last time we played them in it in 2013, we were quite as lambs when the game was in the balance.... 16th man my arse. The time when we were needed most and we went missing. We were a collective embarrassment. Its nonsense to say we were just trying to breath. Thats complete bullsh*t.
Were we able to just breath in the 2nd half of the Kerry draw in '14. Of course - but we were also able to roar our heads off until we were hoarse.
The worst type of bloody supporter .... sitting back waiting for the team to do something before we getting involved

Why not roar and shout and sing all the way through .... more power to them. Why not collectively organise through the various social media channels to have a rendition of the chorus of the 'Green and Red of Mayo' commence immediately upon completion of the final bar of the National Anthem. And again at the 10th minute, the 20 minute and so on .... and promise to yourself that you will immediately stand to your feet and start roaring 'Mayo, Mayo....' the moment you hear someone else doing it. And if there is a lull/quiet period, then you don't wait for someone else - you get up and start the roaring yourself.

Yee're far too middle aged, middle class and sensible lads  ? ?
Add in boring aul farts while we're at it  >:(

The Hill is Blue

I see nothing wrong with supporters collectively getting behind their team - particularly if things are starting to go wrong. And the most effective way of harnessing this vocal support is through singing. Just listen to the Welsh rugby supporters to hear it at its best.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Canalman

Got a ticket to the 2013 final by the skin of my teeth.

I think I pointed out at the time at how surprised I was at how elderly (compared to other supporters) the Mayo fans were.  Fewer kids and young adults there and way more females there than is usual.

Just got the impression the county proud supporters as opposed to the football mad fans got the tickets.

They paid for their tickets and entitled to go so no issues there.

Might account for the fatalism in the last 20 minutes or so.

Very similiar at the Down / Cork final . Way more Down fans, but all the noise done by the  Cork fans.

yellowcard

I do wonder what the feeling in Mayo is before this match. Do they fear the worst or do they genuinely believe that they have a chance of winning the title. I get the sense that the expectation simply isn't there that might have existed for previous finals. Most people expect them to get beaten anyway and though it would give me absolutely no pleasure, it would come as no surprise to me if they were on a very heavy defeat. This Dublin team are at the peak of their powers and I just can't see anyway possible that Mayo will beat them.